WK 3.7L engine "suddenly" died in traffic (help!) - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By marriedtoWK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-17-2021, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
marriedtoWK

Garage
WK 3.7L engine "suddenly" died in traffic (help!)

VEHICLE: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
ENGINE: 3.7L PowerTech V6
MILEAGE: just over 190,000
OWNERSHIP: 13 years (since 2008)
TIRES: 245/65r17 (stock size)

Today while running errands I came up on a stoplight. While sitting there at the stoplight with my foot on the brake the engine RPM needle suddenly/unexpectedly dropped to "0" and the engine shut off. The brakes still seemed to work despite the engine being off, and I shifted it into park.

There was no "check engine" light, no "low oil" light, no warning, absolutely nothing... one moment engine was humming along just fine @ 500-600 RPM, and the next moment the engine just mysteriously shut off on it's own.

I was unable to get the engine started again. I would turn the key and it acted like it WANTS to turn on, but something (air? fuel? spark? sensor?) prevents it and then the needle dropped right back to 0 and engine died. And yes, I verified that there was oil in it when I popped the hood.

Waited about an hour on a busy side-street for a tow truck to arrive. Tow truck finally arrived and I have dropped the Jeep off at the service center. Unfortunately, they were already booked/backed up with a bunch of other people and I was told the earliest it would get looked at was early next week (Monday/Tuesday).

Obviously it's been a stressful day for me, but in the meantime I figured I would ask the forums for their 2 cents based on the details provided. I am happy to answer any other questions about the incident if it might help isolate/narrow down what happened.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2021, 02:37 PM
83Honcho

Sounds like you dropped a valve seat. Stop cranking it. I fixed mine 25k miles ago

83 Honcho step side

98 ZJ 9er
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2021, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
marriedtoWK

Garage
And what did that cost? Just wondering.

I hope it's something fuel, air, or sensor-related rather than the engine itself. I don't believe spark is an issue since my spark plugs are brand new as of July 2021.

I can probably afford fixing a minor fuel/air issue, but if it's the entire engine I'll be without a car for a bit - just can't afford it right now lol

post #4 of 6 Old 09-27-2021, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
marriedtoWK

Garage
So it turns out the throttle body was just badly caked up with carbon/not enough air to maintain an idle and that is what caused the sudden engine stall. The dealer performed a decarbon service and now it runs fine. Phew!

But now I have a different problem; my remote key FOB suddenly isn't working. They did tell me they set the computer to a "relearn procedure" after they cleaned the throttle, could it somehow be related to that?

I have the spare/2nd key FOB I dug up out of my closet (literally sat in a box for 10+ years), but the remote lock/unlock buttons on that one don't seem to be working either...
SKALA308 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-28-2021, 01:40 PM
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

@marriedtoWK

Check the obvious... replace the CR2032 battery in the FOB and see if that works. Do NOT buy them at the drugstore, you'll pay $5-6 for one, when you can get a 4-pack of them elsewhere for that price, or a single for $2-3.

Regards,
Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2021, 10:38 AM
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

@marriedtoWK No updates for us?

Regards,
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in