WK 3.0 CRD DPF and bad KM/100, MPG - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-10-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Gazoo00

WK 3.0 CRD DPF and bad KM/100, MPG

I have a 2008 GC 3.0L CRD, and drive it mostly in the city, lately I see the liters/100 going up as high as 19/100km (12mpg) from an average of 14/100km (16mpg) city driving. (Canadian version of MPG, as in liters of fuel per 100 kilometers)

I took it on the hi-way for an hour or more and the fuel usage went down as low as to 9.8/100 by the time I got home, now after a few days of driving in colder weather, around 35 F/0 C, and short drives to work and back I am getting around 14.5 to 15.5/100km.

The Jeep has 138,000 km on it and I put on around 5,000 km per year and seems to use a lot oil, expensive oil, I would say 4 to 6 liters in those 5,000km.

In my limited knowledge I am guessing that my DPF is starting to clog up and most likely burnt oil is foiling it up. I do not see blue smoke and there is no oil leaks so I am guessing the DPF is filtering out burnt oil.

Does anyone have insight in to the health of my CRD, do others have the same MPG characteristics?, use the same amount of oil?

I read a DPF/EGR delete might help with these, but I would rather not do it as it cost a lot and I think I will have a jeep that is blowing blue/black smoke down the hi-way.

Any advice is appreciated as this Grand Cherokee is in great shape, well maintained by the first owner(I am Second) and would like to add 1) oversize intercooler, 2) eco/power tune, 3) a lift and off road wheels in the future, on that last note I have heard if the lift is not done right I would blow through axles and handle poor.

w6pea likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-10-2019, 09:25 PM
SteveROntario

Good lord. I get the Canadian Tire euro diesel oil and it doesn't burn more than a litre in 13,000 km oil changes. I have a 2" lift and get about 10 in the winter and 11 in the summer with 90% highway? Just hit 266k km tonight. Every departure is foot to the floor and I wind it out. Diesels love that. Don't baby them. That kind of oil consumption makes me think of stuck rings or turbo/crank vent issues. Winding it out will eventually resolve any stuck rings.

I waited for my suspension to wear out before I did the lift. That worked out well for me. If you stay in the 2" range you will be OK.

The stock CRD accelerates faster, or can be driven faster, than most vehicles on the highway. It has more engine than suspension. Way more engine.
w6pea and underscore like this.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #3 of 18 Old 12-10-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Gazoo00

90% of my driving is in traffic and short trips, doesn't even fully warm up and I am at work, I need to get more hi-way runs in, I wonder if a Seafoam gas/oil treatment might help with stuck rings as well.

Parked it last night after a hi-way run, it hit as low as 9.9/100, when I started it and drove away it was at 10.5/100 and the jeep was very responsive, after 40km of stop and go traffic it is now at 15/100 and sluggish, I need to set up a OBD2 app to live record once I find out what to look for, I think I might have back pressure issues
w6pea likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 12-11-2019, 08:31 PM
SteveROntario

I have only ever used diesel fuel additives in my CRD so I can recommend them. Power Service has a winter option and it can be found at Canadian Tire.

I am unsure about putting anything in the oil, I've done it for other vehicles but fast interval oil changes are probably better. You can also pour a litre through the engine with the drain plug removed to flush it out a little before refilling it.
Doing a DPF burn requires certain parameters, if you don't hit them it may never happen. A garage may be able to force one using a good scanner?
w6pea likes this.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #5 of 18 Old 12-12-2019, 08:27 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Steve is right. Your most likely not meeting the parameters for a DPF regen. I don't exactly remember what they are but I know it takes a while. Shops with appropriate knowledge and computer can force a regen. However, do you have any codes or lightning bolt? Checked all your fluids, including diffs, transfer case, transmission, etcetera? I'd watch your turbo actuator with someone giving it varying throttle, when cold and when warmed up.

Either way, burning that much oil is most likely the culprit and is extremely excessive. That oil is going somewhere. Have you replaced the oil cooler seals and/or orange seal intake tube? Are you perhaps overfilling with oil? The camshaft will shoot oil up into the vent which is sucked into the turbo. It does this anyway but when overfilled, it will pull a lot of oil and be burning the oil, potentially fouling your catalytic converter and/or DPF, maybe even the rear resonator/muffler.
w6pea likes this.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #6 of 18 Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Xmind
2007 WK 

Yeah, that oil consumption is huge and not normal. Granted my CRD is tuned, but I definitely don't lose even a 1/2 quart in 6k miles if that. I'd recommend doing a EPR flush on the oil and add Restore to your next oil change to see if it frees up some of the carbon build up that is likely causing this oil issue. As was stated, I'd expect all that burned oil to make your whole exhaust system less efficient, especially the DPF.

https://www.amazon.com/Bg109-Engine-...0N9FPCMQYYWGDQ

https://www.amazon.com/Restore-00016...e%2C195&sr=1-1
w6pea likes this.

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body
post #7 of 18 Old 12-13-2019, 04:14 AM
RoyalHawk
2010 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
Steve is right. Your most likely not meeting the parameters for a DPF regen. I don't exactly remember what they are but I know it takes a while. Shops with appropriate knowledge and computer can force a regen....
or buy one Micopod II clone, with "free" dealer SW. Another possibility is to buy the AppCar FCA, that can be used with a normal OBD2 dongle. Both options are very cheap and useful for our Jeep.
This is mine using MicroPod II:

w6pea likes this.

Marco - Location: Italy
2010 GC WH S-Limited 3.0 CRD
post #8 of 18 Old 12-13-2019, 10:25 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHawk View Post
or buy one Micopod II clone, with "free" dealer SW. Another possibility is to buy the AppCar FCA, that can be used with a normal OBD2 dongle. Both options are very cheap and useful for our Jeep.
This is mine using MicroPod II:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPwrtzMSdeE
You can force regen with Appcar diag? I have it and haven't looked in a while, but did not remember that

post #9 of 18 Old 12-13-2019, 10:51 AM
RoyalHawk
2010 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
You can force regen with Appcar diag? I have it and haven't looked in a while, but did not remember that
in my memory yes... at least with the last Beta version. Just try.

Marco - Location: Italy
2010 GC WH S-Limited 3.0 CRD
post #10 of 18 Old 12-14-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Gazoo00

I have the AppCar, just got it last week so I have to see what it can do past the basics, I do not have any fault codes posted so that is a good thing. I filled the oil till it was just below the max line, going to check it after 100K and see what it is like. if it is down then put in some oil treatment before draining. Maybe a good Mercedes/Sprinter mechanic would help. I sure would like to have a peak in to the DPF.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-14-2019, 03:51 AM
w6pea
Grumpy Old Fart Marine

2019 WK 

Garage
Interesting thread.

"Without Trucks and Truck Driver's America Stops!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"

Ive never trusted a man who put's cream or sugar in his coffee.
Just like I never really trusted a man who put's Coca-Cola in his bourbon.
"Semper Fi" "Once A Marine Always A Marine"
post #12 of 18 Old 12-14-2019, 08:55 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHawk View Post
in my memory yes... at least with the last Beta version. Just try.
I don't have one to try on

post #13 of 18 Old 12-15-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Gazoo00

well I used Appcar and set the tire size, then turned off the tpms, then I set about doing a regen, I found a setting in programming menu and the diesel regen was set to "not set" so I put it to set, then went to another menu and reset the ECU. I went for a drive for about 50 Kilometers yesterday, today when I drove it around the city I was getting 11.7/100K and it didn't climb like before, held steady under 12 even, so I am wondering if the regen was set to off, either way I do not see any signs when the regen is happen, just have to wait and see what happens next
RoyalHawk likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

You can just force a regen while parked and idle no? my wifes had a dpf full code and was able to tell jscan in my case to initiate a regen, it brought the engine speed to 2k rpm for around 15min. i ended up aborting the test because it was a long time on an unknown to me vehicle, but the code is gone now.

2 2008.5 WK CRD's, 2005 WK Limited 5.7
post #15 of 18 Old 12-16-2019, 05:06 PM
SteveROntario

Don't do it indoors or parked on the grass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in