Why are these warning lights on (pic) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-24-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Crixus
2005 WK 

Why are these warning lights on (pic)

They came on randomly about a month or two ago. I paid it no mind since all my brake lights work as do the brakes etc. I've since had new tires put on, new ball joints and bushings, a full state inspection, and nobody has said anything about the warning lights. Did something just get jarred loose in the wiring?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Montreal300

1999 WJ 

Your ABS system is not functioning so stability control (squiggly) gets turned off as well. You need to have a dealer check the ABS trouble codes to pinpoint the problem. It could be as simple as a loose connection, a speed sensor failing, all the way up to the ABS pump and valves failing. Without the codes, no one really knows.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-24-2016, 06:32 PM
TurboDiesel

2008 WK 

wheel speed sensor

2008 CRD // GDE Eco // DPF delete // 3" intercooler // OME HD // 265 dirtytracs etc.

post #4 of 19 Old 10-24-2016, 06:52 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
wheel speed sensor
Be my first guess as well. Brakes would still work but anti-lock system...not so much.

Could be just a loose connection but you need to have someone pull the error code to track it down.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-24-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Crixus
2005 WK 

Alright thanks as always fellas. Gonna get those codes, don't want it to be something serious.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-25-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Crixus
2005 WK 

Thought of something I wanted to ask. You say the traction control system is not working. Does that mean I'll be slipping and sliding all over the road in winter weather? We are expecting our first snowfall soon.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-25-2016, 06:45 PM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus View Post
Does that mean I'll be slipping and sliding all over the road in winter weather?
Only if you've forgotten how to drive without a computerized overlord correcting for your mistakes.

2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L Dead, sold, and rolling again
post #8 of 19 Old 10-25-2016, 06:53 PM
bobbylx

2008 WK 

Welcome to my world.... https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...nings-3875049/
Mine also has the ESP/BAS light on and the parking brake light. You don't have to get the dealer to pull codes. I ordered a Bluedriver and it works great. It will actually clear the codes as well. My local dealer said they would read the codes for $125, no repairs included and they won't clear them. Bluedriver cost $99 on Amazon.

I just ordered 4 new mopar wheel speed sensors and am going to try swapping all of them this weekend. I think I'm in worse shape than you though, I really do believe my ABS Module is the problem....

2008 Overland 5.7 Hemi
Modified Rusty's lift
JK Moabs/Nittos
Black WK Club #136
post #9 of 19 Old 10-25-2016, 07:55 PM
TurboDiesel

2008 WK 

be careful with the front sensors they are in the hubs and known to snap...ask me how i know haha

i like you can drill them out or something to put the new sensors in...i just replaced the whole hub

2008 CRD // GDE Eco // DPF delete // 3" intercooler // OME HD // 265 dirtytracs etc.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-26-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Crixus
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post

Only if you've forgotten how to drive without a computerized overlord correcting for your mistakes.
I guess I didn't notice it being activated last year driving through snowstorms. I have meaty AT tires and working 4X4 I'll be fine. Don't think tcs is that big a deal is it?
post #11 of 19 Old 10-26-2016, 11:56 PM
DavidGascon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus
I guess I didn't notice it being activated last year driving through snowstorms. I have meaty AT tires and working 4X4 I'll be fine. Don't think tcs is that big a deal is it?
Some auto parts store can read codes for free. I know o o o, o'reillys does.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-27-2016, 08:29 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Thought of something I wanted to ask. You say the traction control system is not working. Does that mean I'll be slipping and sliding all over the road in winter weather? We are expecting our first snowfall soon.
If it is the abs sensor(s), a couple things will happen.

1. the abs braking system will not engage, meaning that one tire may lock up sending you into a spin on a wet/slick highway.

2. the traction controls system will not work, meaning that power will not be distributed to the wheel that is not spinning - translation: you may get stuck in the snow.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-28-2016, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Crixus
2005 WK 

~Update~
Went to pep boys and a greasy oil stained mechanic plopped down onto my clean seats, farted, then plugged a code puller into the slot. He saw the abs and tcs lights and said I would need a full diagnostic to find out the problem as the code puller was more for check engine light stuff.

I politely asked him to get out of my car asap and went on my way.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-28-2016, 12:19 PM
CrazyCatSir
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
~Update~
Went to pep boys and a greasy oil stained mechanic plopped down onto my clean seats, farted, then plugged a code puller into the slot. He saw the abs and tcs lights and said I would need a full diagnostic to find out the problem as the code puller was more for check engine light stuff.

I politely asked him to get out of my car asap and went on my way.
Yup, that's your typical "auto parts store" experience for ya... haha... sorry, I hate ABS, that's why I pulled it out of my '89 XJ and now just have a regular braking system, much better
post #15 of 19 Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Montreal300

1999 WJ 

Most of these parts guys have a basic OBD2 code reader. Next time ask if they have a reader for ABS braking system codes.
Stability control (squiggly) is not terribly important but it's nice to have in really crappy weather. ABS on the other hand is a life saver that allows you to steer through a problem while being close to lockup. It's saved my butt a few times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in