Who has bought a replacement CRD? Considering this option. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ahaze

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Who has bought a replacement CRD? Considering this option.

Hey everyone.

Today my mechanic advised that the rear main seal of my Ď08 JGC Overland CRD was leaking. Itís a work vehicle that has 376,000km on it - I do about 50,000km per year. Heís suggested cutting my losses and selling as is. Iíve created another thread to help me research this more.

I love (and often hate) my Jeep but I canít imagine not having a large 4x4 turbo oil burner in my driveway. Once you go diesel... you get the idea.

Have you bought a CRD to replace your dead or dying CRD? If so, why? Was it ďworth itĒ?

Thanks!

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland QDII
3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel
Green Diesel Engineering Eco Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 12:44 AM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Did he offer to buy it? Ha.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Did he offer to buy it? Ha.
Nope. Haha.

3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel

post #4 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 09:18 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Your oil cooler seals are most likely leaking. Most people think its the rear main because the oil leaks down and out the back of the engine down the block appearing like the rear main is leaking. Chirpz has a write up I believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 09:27 AM
Ahaze
2008 WK 

I'm planning on doing just that eventually. My current CRD is coming up on 300000 km and I have it fairly well sorted. I figure when it starts needing major repairs on a regular basis, I'll be better off finding a low miler and keeping this one for parts rather than starting over with a different vehicle.
ggrassmid likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
Your oil cooler seals are most likely leaking. Most people think its the rear main because the oil leaks down and out the back of the engine down the block appearing like the rear main is leaking. Chirpz has a write up I believe.
I believe that this is the likely issue. I've been in touch with a good friend who also happens to be a European vehicle mechanic familiar with the OM642. I'm going to find the time to get it on his hoist and take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahaze View Post
I'm planning on doing just that eventually. My current CRD is coming up on 300000 km and I have it fairly well sorted. I figure when it starts needing major repairs on a regular basis, I'll be better off finding a low miler and keeping this one for parts rather than starting over with a different vehicle.
I completely understand where you're coming from. I've made so many repairs of the known issue with these Jeeps that I would like it last a little longer. But with 376K I'm also realistic to the fact that if it's not this issue, it could be some other big-ticket fix that puts me over the edge. I'm hoping that it's the oil cooler seals like I've read it most likely is. The only issue with that is the work involved to replace a $10 part....

3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 PM
vmanmopar

it is not the rear main !! As stated in the thread it is the oil seals at the center of the engine . about a 1200 dollar repar in US dollars.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 10:44 PM
SteveROntario

There are now a host of 2.8 through 3.2 litre turbo diesels on the market in various vehicles (pick-ups, full size vans, goofy smallish vans, etc.). That being said, the Jeep was a compromise...I wanted a Dodge Cummins. I would get a Dodge Cummins with a pop-up cap so it could still go underground but take tall cargo. The Jeep has better 4x4 and more practical but it's hard not to want a truck. We have a Chevy Express 3500 for summer trailer hauling. Vans are the best for keeping cargo secure and dry. They are also lower for loading heavy stuff by hand plus they have a side door but it costs about $20k USD to convert them to 4x4. There are some AWD offerings for vans out there....2020 Ford included.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #9 of 9 Old 10-11-2019, 05:14 AM
browningv308

If the body, electrical, and suspension of your Jeep is in good shape at 376k then could you just find a newer motor for it, or rebuild the motor you have?
It took me 6 months to find a CRD Jeep that was in good condition and priced below $10k here in the states, surly a rebuild would cost less than that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in