Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Whining sound on 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  LouC 
#1 ·
My Cherokee recently started making a whining sound when I start it up and when I accelerate (I'm not able to post the video I have of it). It mostly happens when it's cold outside. Once the engine warms up it stops. Everything handles as normal, haven't noticed any difference besides the sound. Recently got a new battery and starter. I replaced the serpentine belt and tension pulley about 2 years ago. The belt and all the pulleys look good to me.

The sound is clearly coming from the alternator. I've had alternators go out before, but never heard a sound like this. Is it going bad? I have the V6 so with all the extra space in the engine compartment it would be a very easy fix. But if I don't have to drop the money I dont' want too.

Ideas? Do I need a new alternator?

#3 ·
Mopar alternators are known for whining before failure. But they can whine for a long time before failing also. You could take it off and have it checked out at you're local Auto parts store. If it passes, try spraying some lube on the bearing areas and see if it helps.

#4 ·
The alternator on our 05 5.7L started the whine noise. Had it tested and it was bad. Replaced with a rebuild and all is well. Originally thought the noise was related to the power steering pump but turned out it was the alternator.

#5 ·
Mine was a brand new made in the USA DNJ Power Steering pump. Failed so bad within one month that the shaft would move in/out 1/4 inch. That being said I thought I'd replace it under warranty from Rock Auto and for another 160 bucks approx + shipping wound up getting another one that failed within the first 5 minutes. Twice done properly and system flushed etc etc...unreal. Buying made in China asap next lol. I have an old stethoscope from when I worked in the hospital in I.T. and made some medical friends, so I put a 3 1/2 inch nail into the end of the tubing and touch that anywhere I want to see what's failing. Very clearly the pump in my case, though the alternator is newer it never made noise like this.

#6 ·
Id remove the belt and check the bearings. If you feel any roughness or stifness replace it now because when it fails it will lock up kill the battery and leave you stranded. Happened to me in June. Get a Mopar reman, I tried a Carquest reman and only got 6 months out of it before it started making noise. Just put in a Mopar reman on this past Thurs. I had good luck with other Mopar reman parts I used on our ZJ (alt, p/s pump). Both replaced 5-6 years ago and still fine...

#7 ·
The big box auto parts stores (Pep Boys, Advsnce Auto, etc) seem to sell re man parts of questionable quality. Try to find an auto supply store where real mechanics shop if you can't get a Mopar reman. We have a chain here called Anypart and I have seen out local Jeep dealer getting parts from them when Mopar reman stuff is not available....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.