Where did the white w/tan brake wire go? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
101gargoyles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Where did the white w/tan brake wire go?

I know the 70's were a little tough on a lot of us. I went to install a Mopar trailer brake controller harness on my 08 1/2 Grand with the factory 4 & 7 pin trailer harness and there's no white with tan brake light wire coming out of the pedal switch.
I've got the 82210212-AB adapter kit and it's supposed to be for this model year.
I found-black
-red w/brown
-red w/green
-blue w/white
-white w/green
-blue coming out of the pedal switch!

Where's the white w/tan marker that I'm supposed to tie into?

Found the dark green trailer brake feed going back to the 7 pin plug by feel after some major contortions under the dash. Might be several trips to the massage therapist to get those muscles back in shape.

Next problem is the harness kit shows how to take apart a 2 piece dash console and mine is a 1 piece top to bottom from above the radio to the shifter bezel.
I've got to get that off to tie into the plug behind the aux power plug for this harness.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NEW INFO
Turns out the colours listed above that I saw are wrong as corrected by the wife's eyes using "robpp"'s link below but for an 09 not 08 model search.
It appears however that the Mopar site has the order of pins 1 to 6 reversed based on the shape of the plug itself.
Seems the old white with tan tracer has been replaced by white with light green tracer using the same pin location.

Thanks

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 05-18-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2009, 04:48 PM
robpp

maybe this will help. lots of vendors DO not ccount for model year changes, including Chrysler.

this gives all the connector pinouts.

http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/main.asp

Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
post #3 of 8 Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
101gargoyles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
maybe this will help. lots of vendors DO not ccount for model year changes, including Chrysler.

this gives all the connector pinouts.

http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/main.asp
robpp- that is a great link and thanks for posting it.
I printed out the 'switch-stop lamp' info for both 08 and 09 WK Grand Cherokeee and found that the brake lamp switch output wire has changed from the old -white w/tan marker
to -white w/light green marker
both use pin #2 on the 6 pin plug.

I'm going to run with this info but hey man, can you point me in the right direction to pull that dash panel off so I can get to the aux power plug for the controller power source

post #4 of 8 Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 AM
suzieque
2008 WK 

I'm not sure which part of the dash you want to remove, but for me to install my brake controller I had to remove this part...
http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior_trim.htm#STEERING

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
101gargoyles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
I'm not sure which part of the dash you want to remove, but for me to install my brake controller I had to remove this part...
http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior_trim.htm#STEERING
Thanks suzieque
I don't know where you folks are coming up with some of this stuff but it is very helpfull when you get a kit supposedly for your model (ya I checked and it's the one) and more than one part of the instructions is wrong.
eg. brake light wire has changed from-white w/tan marker
to-white w/light green marker.

radio/center stack/shift bezel instructions are different(start at bottom not top)

Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 02:03 PM
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The instructions I found when I installed my brake controller indicated it could be white / tan or white / green. Seems like you already figured that out though...

I used the diagram from wkjeeps.com here:

I also pulled out the panel SuzieQ indicated. I used a scotchlok to connect the controller to the brake switch wire - made for a fairly easy splice. I ended up pulling the whole switch off the brake pedal and then reinstalling it since I couldn't get the damn connector to come off.

JW

1998 XJ - built for offroading
2007 WK CRD - DashHawk, for towing the XJ
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
101gargoyles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaw22 View Post
The instructions I found when I installed my brake controller indicated it could be white / tan or white / green. Seems like you already figured that out though...

I also pulled out the panel SuzieQ indicated. I used a scotchlok to connect the controller to the brake switch wire - made for a fairly easy splice. I ended up pulling the whole switch off the brake pedal and then reinstalling it since I couldn't get the damn connector to come off.

JW
Thanks for the info-I feel for the people stuck where I was with a 08.5 and bought the controller adapter kit from a no-brainer and couldn't answer my???? 's at the stealership. I guess it's now up to me to make the parts guy a corporate hero by telling him it's the right kit but the instructions are wrong for 08 to 10 wk's.
I won't tell him to submit the info untill he agrees to donate his pro-active bonus incentive to this site for maintenance fees (or to me if easier)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
101gargoyles
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaw22 View Post

JW
I appreciate the info but I'm trying to use the same controller between (2) Jeeps and the controller was bought before D.C. in their infinate wisdom decided to change the wire colour in the (6) pin plug 1.5 yrs after I got the part to interface.

Now my dilemma Is hunting down a second harness for the Drawtite/Tekonsha controller to match with the stupid D.C. harness bare wires that I could have avoided by just getting the Tekonsha 2nd in the first place.

Don't feel to bad about that though cause I got the D.C. harness with a $50accessory coupon just by calling customer service.They even gave me change because after taxes the price was lower than the face value.

I'd like to help anyone in the same situation-just PM me so YOUR savings can
make ME feel good by using this advantage before they go tits up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in