What years will fit? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What years will fit?

Hi all I'm new to the WK forums been spending my time in the Wrangler forums. I have a 91 YJ and just added a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited to the fleet. I bought it for $300.00 and needless to say the Cherokee needs some help. The first issue is the engine. The guy drove it till it stopped. No water or oil in it...So I'm after a used engine for starters. Can you guys tell me what years will fit and from what I've read about swaps so far the chassis # has something to do with choosing the right one.
ALSO it looks like a bear of a job?
Thanks!!

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 01:37 PM
Alex_

Well in 2008 they upgraded the engine as you can see here; It is a pretty big job to remove the engine and put in a new one, almost everything on the engine bay has to come out, also disconnect the engine from the transmission, have a engine jack to remove the old engine put the new one, unless you got the tools and some help I would not recommend it doing it yourself.

In here you can search all the salvage yards in USA as far as I understand its a national salvage yard sale, look for an engine there thats close to you or that they can ship to you.

The other way is to get a reman engine it is pricey tho..

Most importantly are you sure the engine is shot? did you do a test on the jeep with a scanner on it or took it someone to have it check?; maybe you don't need a new engine but replace some components as long as the cylinder heads and the block are not cracked.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 01:52 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Most importantly, what engine does it have now?

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ

post #4 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ View Post
Well in 2008 they upgraded the engine as you can see here; It is a pretty big job to remove the engine and put in a new one, almost everything on the engine bay has to come out, also disconnect the engine from the transmission, have a engine jack to remove the old engine put the new one, unless you got the tools and some help I would not recommend it doing it yourself.
Most importantly are you sure the engine is shot? did you do a test on the jeep with a scanner on it or took it someone to have it check?; maybe you don't need a new engine but replace some components as long as the cylinder heads and the block are not cracked.
My back ground is mechanical so doing an engine swap is not an issue and I do have the engine crane and the tools...Impact tools and compressed air. Just did the engine in my YJ over the winter.
I'd say for sure the engine is toast! A 2 ft breaker bar wont budge it and like I said there is no oil or water in the radiator or crankcase. mixed or otherwise.

post #5 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Most importantly, what engine does it have now?
The 4.7 V8 Gen2 If it was installed in all 08's. This is the chassis # 1J8HR58NX8C213174.

post #6 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
My back ground is mechanical so doing an engine swap is not an issue and I do have the engine crane and the tools...Impact tools and compressed air. Just did the engine in my YJ over the winter.
I'd say for sure the engine is toast! A 2 ft breaker bar wont budge it and like I said there is no oil or water in the radiator or crankcase. mixed or otherwise.
Well that's perfect then if you have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself can save a lot of money; I recommend you grab the factory service manual for the jeep.

As you said the engine is empty but have you tried to see with a new battery if it will crank at all, most likely is seize but its worth a shot. Did you put a scanner on it, if so what codes did you get? I think first thing you should do is get the codes to see if the trans or anything else besides the engine is damaged
post #7 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 06:50 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

08 was an update year for the 4.7.

You should be good with any dual plug (08+) 4.7. the 4.7 died off only a couple years after this update.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #8 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well that's perfect then if you have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself can save a lot of money; I recommend you grab the factory service manual for the jeep.

As you said the engine is empty but have you tried to see with a new battery if it will crank at all, most likely is seize but its worth a shot. Did you put a scanner on it, if so what codes did you get? I think first thing you should do is get the codes to see if the trans or anything else besides the engine is damaged
The previous owner put a new battery and a starter in it. A so called mechanic friend told him the starter was bad. They put a new radiator in it too. All bonus parts for me! I figure with no oil or water and a 2 ft breaker bar, it's a stuck deal. I'm looking for a used engine. On the financial side the Jeep is not worth the price of a new reman.

post #9 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post

You should be good with any dual plug (08+) 4.7. the 4.7 died off only a couple years after this update.
Dodge trucks included?

post #10 of 23 Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 PM
Alex_

Quote:
The previous owner put a new battery and a starter in it. A so called mechanic friend told him the starter was bad. They put a new radiator in it too. All bonus parts for me! I figure with no oil or water and a 2 ft breaker bar, it's a stuck deal. I'm looking for a used engine. On the financial side the Jeep is not worth the price of a new reman.
thats great on the bonus parts; My recommendation to pull codes stands and over at the link on my first comment you can search for the engine on salvage yards, Hope it helps you.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-30-2020, 05:58 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post

Dodge trucks included?
Yes, 08 was the first year and they quit using it soon after. I think when the 3.6 started in the trucks they ended the 4.7.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #12 of 23 Old 03-30-2020, 06:57 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
The 4.7 V8 Gen2 If it was installed in all 08's. This is the chassis # 1J8HR58NX8C213174.
according to your VIN, that jeep has the California emissions package. Depending on your states inspection / swap rules you may have to find a 4.7 with the same.
I don’t know what the difference is but Just throwing that out there for you.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #13 of 23 Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thats great on the bonus parts; My recommendation to pull codes stands and over at the link on my first comment you can search for the engine on salvage yards, Hope it helps you.
I found the build sheet on one of the links you sent. I came up with 4.7 Gen II MPI and in a different spot found EVE. ( pull codes stands?)
I was also wondering if It's a possibility to swap in a 5.7? Of coarse without getting into a major mess trying to make it work. It would probably bolt in but what about the electrics.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-30-2020, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
according to your VIN, that jeep has the California emissions package. Depending on your states inspection / swap rules you may have to find a 4.7 with the same.
I donít know what the difference is but Just throwing that out there for you.
Our county in NC does not have an emissions inspection. But I still like to conform. I'd be after the same.

post #15 of 23 Old 03-30-2020, 06:05 PM
Alex_

Quote:
I found the build sheet on one of the links you sent. I came up with 4.7 Gen II MPI and in a different spot found EVE. ( pull codes stands?)
I was also wondering if It's a possibility to swap in a 5.7? Of coarse without getting into a major mess trying to make it work. It would probably bolt in but what about the electrics.
Yeah definitely pull the codes with an obd scanner to see if any other failure is on the vehicle, because lets say you get a used engine but the transmission is shot or there are other electrical issues.

I wont lie to you I don't know about engine swaps but from what I been seeing you gonna have to get the pcm re-programmed for the new engine if not a new pcm and also you need to see if the 5.7 used the same trans as the 4.7, Could be possible I suggest you research about it.

Also Heres All the info on the jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in