What’s my next step? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 99sajeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-12-2021, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Richy44

What’s my next step?

Hello all, this will be my first post on a forum page so bare with me.. I’ve got an 06 commander I just replace radiator couple years ago after heater core exploded in my passenger floorboard. So I replaced it and it was all good up until October last year when I hit a dog. So this mini bear bent my support frame, radiator, broke my cooling fan wiring harness actually causing it to land on my alternator and tore my fender off lol.. I noticed it started running hotter than normal after that but wouldn’t get to red zone due to it being cold, well I parked it once it started warming up to not damage anything else. I put cooling fan harness back on today and drove it, it ran fine till I hit 75mph I seen gauge start rising up and almost reached “H” but once I slowed down it came back down so I got home and parked then noticed smoke coming out from under hood. Turned off and opened hood and coolant sprayed all over motor and under car but it never ran hot. Started it up and seen if I could see anything and still never run hot, actually ran normal. I did notice tho at bottom of radiator fluid would puddle up and would come back if wiped away. I guess I’m saying is where did my coolant come from and should I just go ahead and replace radiator? Sorry so long. thanks yall

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-12-2021, 07:01 AM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

i'd start by doing a pressure test on the cooling system to find where the coolant is leaking from. Most auto prats stores rent a coolant system pressure tester. Why did you replace radiator if heater core was leaking? good luck.

Last edited by nvrdone1; 07-12-2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-2021, 02:10 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy44 View Post
Hello all, this will be my first post on a forum page so bare with me.. Iíve got an 06 commander I just replace radiator couple years ago after heater core exploded in my passenger floorboard. So I replaced it and it was all good up until October last year when I hit a dog. So this mini bear bent my support frame, radiator, broke my cooling fan wiring harness actually causing it to land on my alternator and tore my fender off lol.. I noticed it started running hotter than normal after that but wouldnít get to red zone due to it being cold, well I parked it once it started warming up to not damage anything else. I put cooling fan harness back on today and drove it, it ran fine till I hit 75mph I seen gauge start rising up and almost reached ďHĒ but once I slowed down it came back down so I got home and parked then noticed smoke coming out from under hood. Turned off and opened hood and coolant sprayed all over motor and under car but it never ran hot. Started it up and seen if I could see anything and still never run hot, actually ran normal. I did notice tho at bottom of radiator fluid would puddle up and would come back if wiped away. I guess Iím saying is where did my coolant come from and should I just go ahead and replace radiator? Sorry so long. thanks yall
If you have coolant on top of the motor and hood, itís usually from the rad cap or upper radiator hose. If the accident bent the support, it could have moved one of the hoses or cracked the rad cap housing or even just dislodged the cap. The engine will run hot because of a lack of pressure and air will get sucked in when the engine cools. If itís not something simple like that you better get it pressure tested as stated .

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

post #4 of 8 Old 07-12-2021, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Richy44

I replaced radiator cause my heater core blew out in my floorboard and then couple weeks later the top support on radiator blew out..
post #5 of 8 Old 07-12-2021, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Richy44

Why would it just do it now? I drove it all winter and parked it when it started getting warmer weather.. I did notice tho that return line into bottom of radiator looks a little kinked but still there is no sign of hose blowing off.. and no crack up too around cap or anything..
post #6 of 8 Old 07-14-2021, 09:48 AM
Erwin8r

I noticed on my my WJ that the stock radiator hose clamp began to allow the hose to weep ever so slightly, first showing itself as "temperature creep", then finally causing the upper radiator hose to "blow," spraying coolant everywhere. Did you replace the clamps with conventional hose clamps? I don't think we're supposed to re-use the OEM clamps...

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
4" EMU lift, Bilstein w/bypasses, etc.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-19-2021, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Richy44

Yea everything worked great till I hit this dog, possibly small bear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
I noticed on my my WJ that the stock radiator hose clamp began to allow the hose to weep ever so slightly, first showing itself as "temperature creep", then finally causing the upper radiator hose to "blow," spraying coolant everywhere. Did you replace the clamps with conventional hose clamps? I don't think we're supposed to re-use the OEM clamps...
post #8 of 8 Old 07-22-2021, 10:25 AM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Maybe I didn't see it above, but what engine are we talking about? You don't have anything listed in your profile or in a signature.
Also, just to clarify, you DID NOT replace the radiator after the dog accident, correct?

My guess is this overheat issue didn't show up until now due to the colder weather earlier in the year. It sounds like you have a small leak some where and the hotter Spring/Summer temps are causing it to become noticeable.

You said you can see coolant at the bottom of the radiator and that it comes back. This should be the first thing you track down. Either by trying to determine the actual point of the leak visually, or by using a pressure tester as mentioned above.

With either method, clean up the engine bay of coolant (wash it down and let it dry), then run the engine up to temperature and look for leaking coolant. This will tell you where the problem lies.

My guess, is you have a small crack in the radiator, most likely from the animal accident, and this is causing the problem.

I replaced the radiator in my WK because it had a small hairline crack on one of the plastic side tanks. The only way I found it was seeing the wet spot on the black plastic.
Goldenknob likes this.

'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 245k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in