What have you done with JScan? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-28-2020, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
schobbs
2009 WK 

What have you done with JScan?

I recently started using JScan and played with it some. I don't really have any mods so there isn't much I can do with it. It is pretty powerful though. So far the only thing changed is turning on DRLs (I made them be my fog lights) and made it to where my fog lights stay on with my high beams. I'm planning on using it this weekend to monitor Transmission Temp while pulling my camper and I see an adaptation that Turns on/off the Tow Module. I'm not quite sure what that does. I believe it just activates the factory wire harness for the tow package but I'm not 100% sure as I don't have the factory wire harness for towing.

I'm only been using it for a week or so but i'll try and answer any questions that you all might have about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-29-2020, 01:01 PM
Pickledog
2008 WK 

I turned off my TPMS, adjusted for bigger tire size and enabled the tilt mirrors function when reversing.
post #3 of 26 Old 07-29-2020, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
schobbs
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledog View Post
I turned off my TPMS, adjusted for bigger tire size and enabled the tilt mirrors function when reversing.
What model WK do you have that you got the tilt mirror function to work? When I attempt to open that Module it tells me it can't do it. (i forget the exact error) Mine is a Laredo X which is basically a limited without all of the Chrome as far as I can tell. I have the heated/powered side mirrors on mine from the factory.

post #4 of 26 Old 07-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Pickledog
2008 WK 

Mine is a 2008 S limited CRD. I'll try it again tonight and see if it will still work.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-02-2020, 04:26 PM
HEMI426
2008 WK 

How Transmission Temp goes with you? I have not used JScan before, since I am using Bluedrive. However, it doesn’t support Transmission Temp/mode.
So, I am looking to get JScan, but do I need to buy a license for the app?
post #6 of 26 Old 08-03-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
schobbs
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI426 View Post
How Transmission Temp goes with you? I have not used JScan before, since I am using Bluedrive. However, it doesnít support Transmission Temp/mode.
So, I am looking to get JScan, but do I need to buy a license for the app?
Yeah, you'll need to buy the License to get Transmission Temps. It opens up a lot of different things you can by purchasing the license.

I used it this weekend while pulling my camper to outside Gatlinburg. Had a pretty big mountain to pull on the way there and the highest my trans temp got to was 185 F according to JScan. Normal driving it stays around 165-170 same pulling my camper on normal ground as well. I don't have the tow package on my Jeep so I'm adding an external transmission cooler to help out for when I have bigger hills to climb on the interstate. This road was a 2 lane with a 35mph speed limit so the Jeep really didn't struggle that much.
HEMI426 likes this.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-03-2020, 04:07 PM
HEMI426
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schobbs View Post
Yeah, you'll need to buy the License to get Transmission Temps. It opens up a lot of different things you can by purchasing the license.

I used it this weekend while pulling my camper to outside Gatlinburg. Had a pretty big mountain to pull on the way there and the highest my trans temp got to was 185 F according to JScan. Normal driving it stays around 165-170 same pulling my camper on normal ground as well. I don't have the tow package on my Jeep so I'm adding an external transmission cooler to help out for when I have bigger hills to climb on the interstate. This road was a 2 lane with a 35mph speed limit so the Jeep really didn't struggle that much.
Thanks,
I extracted these temperatures info for both the NAG1 and 545RFE (attached). It may assist you.
Attached Thumbnails
8B4E7751-F8BF-46C2-90ED-67E650EE9490.jpg   ED524013-14EF-4C59-B51E-2711934FC970.jpg  
post #8 of 26 Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
schobbs
2009 WK 

Thanks for the info but do you mind telling me what it means? I really don't know that much about automatic transmissions besides you don't want to overheat them.
post #9 of 26 Old 08-04-2020, 10:21 PM
kbwk
2008 WK 

Updated my tire size and activated the fog lights I installed. Tinkered with the real time telemetry, but didn’t figure out how to save a custom dashboard. Trail view looks promising but the ability to customize leaves me wanting.

I’m planning on a gear change soon and will use it to update the computer.

Generally, the proprietary nature of automotive software is frustrating to say the least. I’d be happy to see a big software company hit the industry with a proverbial wrecking ball.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 12:55 AM
powerstroke01

2005 WK 

Quote:

Jeep says the operating range for the 545rfe is up to 240 degrees. Ive seen 236.

Jeepers do it in the mud. ;)
post #11 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 03:20 AM
HEMI426
2008 WK 

Quote:
Thanks for the info but do you mind telling me what it means? I really don't know that much about automatic transmissions besides you don't want to overheat them.
It tells the normal - range - temp of trans which is 70 - 200 F.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 03:29 AM
HEMI426
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwk View Post
Updated my tire size and activated the fog lights I installed. Tinkered with the real time telemetry, but didnít figure out how to save a custom dashboard. Trail view looks promising but the ability to customize leaves me wanting.

Iím planning on a gear change soon and will use it to update the computer.

Generally, the proprietary nature of automotive software is frustrating to say the least. Iíd be happy to see a big software company hit the industry with a proverbial wrecking ball.
I thought the Trail View is only for Wrangler. I will check this out when I get my obd scan.
post #13 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 06:46 AM
downunderdave

Guys, may I ask what OBD reader you are using? J-Scan does not connect to my OBD link MX.. Have sent the fault string to J-Scan, but they do not have a unit to test with. Trying to sort a Service 4WD error. Torque Pro shows no error. Cannot engage low range. Guessing it's a transmission prob, so the diffs would not be locked up. Have a trip next weekend, only need high range. Just not sure if it's okay to use my Jeep.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 04:48 PM
kbwk
2008 WK 

OBDLink MX+
post #15 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
schobbs
2009 WK 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in