What is the best OBDII Scanner? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 04-16-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
What is the best OBDII Scanner?

OK.... so I got tired of my lame-o "Auto Xray" scanner that only gives basic codes with no plain English explanation.

I went down and purchased a Launch Creader Professional CRP123
and tried it out today. It seems to be pretty nice but I'm not sure what "nice" really is. Its hard to cut though all the hype. Beware, there are some cheap pirate copies of this one around for bargain prices...but you can't update them.

So I'm asking...
  • What kind scanner do you have?
  • Do you like it?
  • What scanner would you recommend for us shade tree mechanics?
  • What is the best scanner for the "Service 4WD" issue

I also have:
A Garmin Mechanic blue tooth full time scanner that sends data to my GPS when it is plugged in. It gives me a choice of certain guages based on the real data stream, such as Engine Load, Boost Pressure, etc etc. It is cools but rather limited. I use it all the time except when I'm working on the rig. It will also show basic codes and clear them.

A GDE Tune install device. I understand it scans and clears codes but I have not tried it for that.

An Auto-Xray Codescount 700 inexpensive, small scanner that shows basic codes and clears them.[*]What scanner would you recommend?

A [B]ElmScan 5 Compact - this requires you to hook the scanner up to a laptop computer. It is awkward to use but seems to be powerful. I really have not given it a fair trial. It will record live data on your computer and make extensive charts and graphs. I'd like to sell this one...yes??

Chirpz
2021 WK2, 3.6L, Factory Towing Package, Electronic Trailer Brakes, Weathertech Mats, Dash Duck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-16-2015, 06:18 PM
SSF556

2008 WK 

I use my GDE tool to scan and delete codes. My dashawk just records codes.

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #3 of 45 Old 04-16-2015, 08:45 PM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

What model AutoXray scanner do you have? IMO, if you plan to have nothing but OBDII vehicles (which is almost all of them) in the future, it would be wise to bite the bullet and purchase a computerized scanner. I finally arrived at that conclusion when I found I couldn't adequately troubleshoot problems on our computerizsed vehicles....in many cases not even ones that come up with DTC's. I also didn't want to become a "parts replacer" until I stumbled onto the problem, nor will I ever take my vehicles to the stealer/independent unless I am absolutely stumped. I don't think that will happen though. Now, to answer your questions.

1. I too started with an AutoXray scanner. Mine is a Code Scout 2500. It works on OBDI and OBDII vehicles and will read and reset codes/check engine lights, provide on-screen definitions of generic and manufacturer specific DTC's, and provide readiness test status for emissions testing on OBDII vehicles. Since it didn't quite hack the program for good troubleshooting, I did a little research and came up with my new computerized scan tool, an Autel MaxiDas DS708. I've had it almost a year now and still haven't figured out everything it can do but, so far, it has been worth its weight in gold. Plus, it'll work on any make (Asian, European, U.S.), model, year vehicle I or any of my friends/family will ever own now or until they do away with the OBDII and Controller Area Network systems.

2. I love it, and as I said, I haven't figured it all out....but then again I haven't used it except when I've needed it. It'll read and diagnose every system module in the vehicles. Here's just a sampling of what it will do:
· Deep vehicle system coverage for ALL Makes, ALL Models & All available Modules
· Sensor Initializations, ECU Adaptions, Coding & Module Set Up functionality
· Immobilizers, Key Coding functionality & Component Activation testing
· Complete function capability including live data, module coding and many others
· Unparalleled functionality with ALL 5 OBDII protocols and ALL 10 test modes
· Wi-Fi internet capability allows for wireless access throughout the workshop
· Capture, save and print screenshots anywhere in the shop
· Display live data in text, graph and analog for easy data review and analysis
· Record and playback live data to pinpoint troubles of sensors and components
· Innovative graph merging for easy and quick detection of intermittent problems
· Automatic Wi-Fi Data Logging for quick and accurate technical support

3. Like I said, if you're going to own computerized vehicles, a computerized diagnostic tool is the only way to go, unless you like to randomly replace parts, or go get raped by the local stealer or independent that probably doesn't know as much as you. I am sure you've read some of the horror stories from the stealers/independents on these forums. I know I have. A few trips to either will easily pay for this or a similar tool.

4. The DS708 will diagnose 4WD problems. Everytime I run the "Autoscan" on mine, the FDCM is one of the modules that is checked. I haven't had (nor will I ever have) the N23 recall done, and my FDCM checks out fine every time.

Over the years I've accumulated a bunch of tools similar to yours....battery load and conductance testers, EGR Valve testers, TPMS scanners and cloning tools, dwell meters, compression testers, leak down testers, etc. The new scanner replaces most of them, and augments the ones it doesn't. A few examples.....it'll check and let you operate the EGR Valve, it'll allow you program new TPMS Sensor ID numbers into the WCM, functionally check the charging system, actuate/read most of the sensors/valves in the engine and transmission, and a ton more.

Plus, I've already saved both friends and family a bunch by diagnosing issues on their vehicles.....a good way to score points, IMO.

Ultimately though, it all boils down to how much you'll use it, how much you want to spend, and whether or not you like taking your ride to others for diagnosis and repair. To me, it's easily worth the $$$ and in less than a year it has more than paid for itself. If you do a search for DS708 videos, you'll find some tutorial videos on the one I have. They're pretty enlightening.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and, SOLD Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8 just replaced with 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid with 1020 hp and 1050 lb. ft. of torque.

post #4 of 45 Old 04-16-2015, 08:56 PM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Here's a couple videos for you to look at...the last one lets you select from a bunch of different videos:

http://www.autel.us/videos/vrevealed.htm

http://www.yourepeat.com/g/Ds708

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and, SOLD Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8 just replaced with 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid with 1020 hp and 1050 lb. ft. of torque.
post #5 of 45 Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
90Grandoneer.... Mine is an Autoxray Codescout 700

Chirpz
2021 WK2, 3.6L, Factory Towing Package, Electronic Trailer Brakes, Weathertech Mats, Dash Duck.
post #6 of 45 Old 04-18-2015, 01:06 AM
patience
2006 WK 

Hey Chirps,
I have the GDE scan tool, and I also have the Hypertech Speedometer calibrator. The Hypertech can read and clear all N23 faults as well (C140F).
post #7 of 45 Old 04-18-2015, 06:05 AM
jediknight
2008 WK 

Chirps,
I have dashawk, but as you know its discontinued edge is the replacement for it. But if you want something that is close to oem starcrap autoenginuity can be something you can look at. The team was pretty responsive to questions I had (that was last year though).

2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
post #8 of 45 Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 AM
davids0865
2005 WK 

utoEngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Chirps,
autoenginuity can be something you can look at. The team was pretty responsive to questions I had (that was last year though).
Agreed, like many of us I don't need another android or windows device, so the software only route appeals, however the AutoEnginuity price doesn't, so I emailed them and asked if they where interested in supplying a version to suit us locked to a single VIN number, no go!! I think they are missing an opportunity. The only thing I found it would not do is key coding.
post #9 of 45 Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 AM
jediknight
2008 WK 

Yup and for this you need the very contested and unique 4 digit pin number associated with the vehicle vin number. Why can't I have my pin number ?? Isn't it my vehicle ??

2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
post #10 of 45 Old 04-23-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
I returned my new Creader CRP123. I decided the CRP stands for crap. It has a very impressive list of things that it will monitor in the data stream. For example... individual wheel speed, turbo actuator angle, swirl motor movement, etc etc. It monitors more things than I knew existed.... BUT
Their web page is lousy. No real support. No help files. Instructions are crummy. After I ran an online update that is recommended first thing in the skimpy owners pamphlet, the transmission data stream seemed to stop working. It showed my Jeep Speed at 64,000 MPH and my engine speed at 4965 RPM while it was idling.... I could go on. The Engine data stream seemed to continue to work fine. I decided to take it back rather than keep messing with it.

I purchased an Innova Pro Carscan 31603...... major difference in quality.
It does not monitor near as much stuff...but their web page is wonderful, there is plenty of support and the instructions are plentiful and detailed.

Chirpz
post #11 of 45 Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
I am going to give the Innova scanner another good workout tomorrow trying to read live transmission and 4x4 data. Then I am going to return it. I don't think it is going to do all that I want it to do. I do like it the best of any scanner I have tried so far. It is very nice.

I have decided to purchase the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 instead. Member recommendation and some online research has lead me in this direction.
You can get them shipped from China for $923, but I just don't trust that method for this particular purchase even though I have bought other things direct from China and done OK. So I'm getting it from an "Official" web site instead and paying $1100....as a spiff I get the TS401 included shipped from USA.

http://www.autelshop.com/wholesale/a...das-ds708.html

We'll see how it goes. Sometimes "official" doesn't really mean "official." I've been bitten before.

I think you can use this device to program new ignition keys and that might come in handy.

Chirpz
post #12 of 45 Old 04-24-2015, 08:24 AM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Yes, you can program keys with it, but you can also program them without as long as you have two good keys first. Then you can program up to (I believe) 7 keys. By the way, IMO, the DS708 is a good choice. I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. As I said, I've had mine a year next week and I still haven't figured it all out yet.....not even close. Lately I've been "tinkering" with it a little more, and each time I find more stuff it can do. Also, on a few things, I've been afraid to mess with, as I don't want to fool with something that may reset/change something that is working good.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it type of thing. Also, as I said earlier, your family and friends will also love you because it'll work on anything/everything they own too. Make sure you update it every couple months (at least) and for sure just before your free year of updates expires. I've got a note on my calendar to do it early next week. After the "free" year, I probably won't pay the mega $$$ to update again, unless I buy something many years down the line that is very different from what's out today. Since I usually keep my vehicles nearly forever, this won't happen for some time. My son uses one at his shop and has never updated it, and it still does everything he needs to do. I even tried my SD card in his in an effort to update his but, of course, it didn't work.

Oh, by the way, if you update all or most all the different vehicles, it'll take several hours, especially the first time. Don't forget to do the Maybach and Bugatti, as you never know when you might need it for one of them, LOL.

Edit: I forgot to say that, before you do your updates, it might be a good idea to get a bigger SD card for it. It comes with a 4GB one, but all the updates will probably fill it and you won't be able to finish (if you update most vehicles) without it. I bought a 32GB one, and am sure I'll never have to worry about it again. Your TS401 is suppose to be a good unit too. I have an ATEQ VT30, but I don't think it's anywhere near as nice as yours, but it does do the TPMS checks just fine. Good luck with it and let us know how you like both of them.

post #13 of 45 Old 04-24-2015, 10:48 AM
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

A year ago I bought an Innova 3160D because Amazon was offering them for $140. I've used it a couple times to check/clear codes, but I don't know enough to know if it's doing everything I need. If that model is being considered here I'd love to hear feedback on it.

Err, sorry if that represents a thread hijack.
post #14 of 45 Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 PM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

LOL, I don't think anyone will hang you by your toes for that, John. I've heard and read a little about some of the Innova scanners, but they just didn't do everything I wanted them to. I wanted something that could actuate and check sensors and solenoids, get deeper into ALL vehicle systems and modules, and provide all kinds of live and freeze frame data in multiple formats if desired. I think, from what I've read/heard, the Innovas are one of the better ones for what they do though. Maybe others with specific experience will chime in to give their two cents worth.

post #15 of 45 Old 04-24-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
I took my Innova Pro Carscan 31603 back to Napa today to get a refund on it. I was very careful with it of course. The first clerk said "No Way, its electronic. If you plugged it in, then it is yours." Another clear walked by and overheard the conversation. He said to take it back in the back room and ask the chief and "we don't usually refund electronic stuff." (I had to remind them that I just returned the CRP123 the other day, but they shrugged.) So the 1st clerk went back to talk to the chief and the chief said "No Problem." I was getting bad vibes there for a minute, but all worked out roses. I've only been a customer at that store for 30+ years so I can understand their reluctance.

Once again.... the INNOVA 31603 is a GREAT scanner...best that I have ever used. It is very easy to use and does way more than the average scanner but just not enough for my needs. I was sorry to have to return it.

Regarding refunds and NAPA... I have never had a problem before. On our last long trailer trip to Michigan, I purchased a Napa starter to take along since mine is over 100,000 miles old. After our trip I returned it without even a blink. In this case I did have to pay a shipping fee because they special ordered the starter for me. Also, I told them when I bought what I wanted it for and they said OK.

Chirpz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in