Weird thunk in the driveline that is mysteriously gone two days later... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-11-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
SpikeyJohnson

Garage
Weird thunk in the driveline that is mysteriously gone two days later...

Hey everyone, I'm trying to track down an issue that I ran into over the weekend. I was taking my 5.7 with QD2 up a light slope (cars going up and down it too) that was washboarded quite a bit. I hit one of the larger bumps and then began hearing a thunk that sounded like a bad U Joint or CV. It sounded like it was coming from the rear drive line, right near the driveline tunnel right behind the center console and in front of the rear seat, and was variable with the speed of the vehicle. It also happened in all gears, reverse, neutral, and drive, as well as 4 LO in all the same gears.

I limped it back down the mountain and had it towed home on a friends trailer. He works at a Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge dealership as the service manager and I had him move it on and off the trailer as well as look at it since he is normally the one to repair the Hemi's that come in. He said it also sounded like a U joint or CV and that the rear drive line could be the case. I had him unload it off the trailer when we got it back to my apartment, and it still had the clunking sound. Well today, two days later, the noise is gone. My father and I have spent two hours trying to figure out what is happening but to no avail. We can't hear a noise at all and even found some dirt to try the 4 LO in. No clunk or thunk at all, at any speed.

We've had quite a few recommendations to take it to a place named Gaylon's Driveline not far from my apartment since they have done amazing work for quite a few people, even our family friend who towed me home and one of my best friends. He has rebuilt the transfer case on a friends cummins when it was in pieces as well, so I think he does good work. I just wish I could figure out what it is before taking it. Has anyone dealt with a weird thud that goes away "magically" a day or two later, but sounds like a U Joint or CV (which don't magically heal over night).

Edit: I should add, the Jeep hasn't moved since being dropped off Saturday afternoon.

2006 Jeep WK 5.7L Limited

Last edited by SpikeyJohnson; 06-11-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: More info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Drop the driveshafts and inspect them for play. One of the caps might be bad and exhibit some major play. I had that happen on my CJ once. Under hard power it would wedge itself tight, then loosen up after a while and clunk/vibrate. Much easier to feel/hear problems in a sheet metal stamped tin can lol.

On my WK I had a weird vibration clunk that ended up being the rear driveshaft going bad, was tight when bolted in but when I unbolted it one side had ZERO movement, by hand, and BARELY any movement with a large screwdriver leveraging it. Replacement was through a company on ebay who sold OEM replacements BUT with regular steel construction, weighted and trued and replaceable U joints for $300 shipped. Still going good

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
SpikeyJohnson

Garage
I've decided to just take it in tomorrow morning since I have my Mustang I can drive to work. That shop I'm looking at can rebuild mine if it is the broken part and if not and it is something worse, I've not heard a bad thing about them. Either way it comes out fixed with a new or rebuilt shaft from him and he's known for amazing work on racing vehicles as well as 4x4 stuff for Moab, etc. I'm also going to have him look at a grindy front CV that likes to get noisy when it's sliding on snow or ice.

Just decided to take one this time since everyone I've talked to (all motor heads) have recommended him and can't endorse him enough. I think a bit of the system needs to be looked at by someone who works on them regularly since I bought it a year ago and seem to keep running into fun with the suspension and 4x4 systems. I'll keep the thread updated with their findings. I wouldn't be surprised if that drive line is the case though.

Edit: Especially with work and classes being hectic this week. Have finals this week for a block class, and I've been working on lots of IT projects since it is summer at the University I work at. No time to be down at the parents in the drive way I don't think and I need the break after a long day. I'll be happy to pay this one.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-14-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
SpikeyJohnson

Garage
Update! Took it in the Driveline shop and it was the front Driveline CV joint. I got it repaired in total for $356 after tax. So about $30 more than it would have cost me to order the part and do the work, and it's also been balanced. I'll chalk that up to a win considering it was done so quickly, and I didn't have to do the work this time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ryq3JpHqJtaS527N8

Last edited by SpikeyJohnson; 06-14-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Adding photo link.

Tags
4wd , driveline , thud , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in