Warranty...not covered "due to rust"..... - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 11-20-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Warranty...not covered "due to rust".....

2008 GC Limited Lifetime Added Care Plus....Chrysler won't pay for leaking oil pan because service tech mentioned "rust". I call Chrysler and ask them to show me the word "rust" in the contract. They can't, of course. so they hit me with:
THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:
"Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect"
So I asked, all the repairs covered so far up to 165,000 miles have been manufacturing defects? He says "i didn't say that"
I ask to be bumped up to management, he transfers, and I'm cut off.
Call back...next person repeats "nothing covered due to rust"....I said show me in the contract...puts me on hold then hits me with a doozy, further down the list of what's not covered:

(a) failure to properly care for or maintain the vehicle; (b) fire, accident, abuse, vandalism, negligence or Act of God including but not limited to any vehicle rendered inoperable due to snow, ice or flood;
(c) failure to properly operate the vehicle;

She actually read the failure to care for and/ or operate a vehicle. i told her how insulting that is, and show me the evidence as i have plenty of evidence to refute it. On hold again, came back, asked how best to contact me, that was it. There was a lot more, but it's too much to type....but they don't want to honor what they sold me, bottom line. I lamented that I just bought another jeep.. 2017, and asked if I made a mistake.

w6pea likes this.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

12 year old vehicle, you gotta expect rust! Excessive rust to me does sound like a failure to maintain the vehicle.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
227,000+ miles!
post #3 of 37 Old 11-20-2019, 08:32 PM
brent_m

based on his location, i'd say rust comes with the territory.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow

post #4 of 37 Old 11-20-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

thanks for the replies....i'm on my 4th jeep, one..the 97 my avatar pic... rusted away down the shore...but never the oil pan!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #5 of 37 Old 11-20-2019, 09:35 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
@JeepCares Any input or suggestions?

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #6 of 37 Old 11-21-2019, 04:58 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

I love when people ***** about rust like it's the manufacturers fault. Either accept it (on anything 8+ years old) or do something about it when it's new.
Ross likes this.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #7 of 37 Old 11-21-2019, 06:46 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Yep, the oil pans in the WK's rust and have to be replaced. It is not a warranty thing. Warranty is when the well maintained transmission or the well maintained engine stops working. Still good to have the warranty for those reasons alone.
post #8 of 37 Old 11-21-2019, 07:06 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
I love when people ***** about rust like it's the manufacturers fault. Either accept it (on anything 8+ years old) or do something about it when it's new.
I get under my Jeep and clean more thoroughly (but less often) then the top side. I repaint the underside at least once a year and touch up scratches more often.

If you are in an area where rust happens and you want to keep a vehicle for any period of time there are things you can do to prevent rust.

I have a 01 TJ, a 79 K30 and my son has a 99 XJ. We do this to all of them to keep the rust away.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #9 of 37 Old 11-21-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Thanks for the love, but oil pans are listed as a covered item in my plan...they wrote it and sold it to me, so THEY need to do something about it...like honoring their contract. The word "rust" or "corrosion" is NO WHERE in the document. Feel free to bend over and accept it when the contract you paid for isn't honored...i'd love it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
Yep, the oil pans in the WK's rust and have to be replaced. It is not a warranty thing. Warranty is when the well maintained transmission or the well maintained engine stops working. Still good to have the warranty for those reasons alone.
Four jeeps, one rusted away at the beach, but not the oil pan!! IT IS a warranty thing, according to my contract that Jeep wrote....that's why i paid extra for the lifetime added care....look it up....

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #10 of 37 Old 11-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
Thanks for the love, but oil pans are listed as a covered item in my plan...they wrote it and sold it to me, so THEY need to do something about it...like honoring their contract. The word "rust" or "corrosion" is NO WHERE in the document. Feel free to bend over and accept it when the contract you paid for isn't honored...i'd love it....

Four jeeps, one rusted away at the beach, but not the oil pan!! IT IS a warranty thing, according to my contract that Jeep wrote....that's why i paid extra for the lifetime added care....look it up....
You said the warranty said "THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:

Are you saying thing only rust if they are defective from the manufacturer?

post #11 of 37 Old 11-21-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
You said the warranty said "THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:

Are you saying thing only rust if they are defective from the manufacturer?
Nope...I'm saying that's the second reason they gave because they couldn't find the word "rust".

Do you think they only cover manufacturing defects?? What about ball joints...wear and tear... covered!
CV boots...wear and tear...covered! That's the whole point of the extended service contract...they even replaced one of my stereo speakers!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #12 of 37 Old 11-21-2019, 08:44 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

You, sir, are what's known as an annoying customer.

To each their own, but I prefer to do my own work and will never buy an extended service plan. Their goal is to sell you the plan and never pay out on it, so they make it difficult. Not worth that hassle to me. An oil pan job is a fairly pricey one, so they're fighting you.

Owning vehicles outside of factory warranty is a headache. You choose to argue with people about who's paying to fix it, I choose to use my hands and fix it myself.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #13 of 37 Old 11-22-2019, 06:47 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post

Then, hire a lawyer and collect on your warranty. That path will cost you at least $5,000 initial fee retainer for the lawyer. Who knows, they may settle out of court to avoid legal fees.
post #14 of 37 Old 11-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Homer1;40799957]Nope...I'm saying that's the second reason they gave because they couldn't find the word "rust".

Do you think they only cover manufacturing defects??
What about ball joints...wear and tear... covered!
CV boots...wear and tear...covered! That's the whole point of the extended service contract...they even replaced one of my stereo speakers![/QUOTE]

THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:
"Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes,!!!! The only thing I think they'll cover is manufacturer's defect

I don't think I can be any clearer.

post #15 of 37 Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Arneb04

2008 WK 

Wowsers. This is an unnecessary rage out man. I'm sort of with caddydaddy, it's a 12 year old vehicle. Wish I could say I had more sympathy on the issue but...it's rust. Most manufacturers warranties don't cover any kind of rust unless it's perforated the metal within 5 or at best 7 years. Beyond that, it's just an environmental expectation, not a defect or wear and tear. Since my regular job has me dealing with contract language legalese, I notice that you pointed out that rust is not "not covered" and you also said in another post that the oil pan IS covered. So that tells me there is a section that outlines what IS covered by the warranty and in a typical contract if something is not explicitly stated then it is not implied meaning that since it doesn't state that the warranty covers rust, it doesn't. It doesn't work the other way around for you, just because rust is not stated as NOT covered doesn't imply that it is....
w6pea likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in