Vibration above 50MPH issue help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2021, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
justinpik

Vibration above 50MPH issue help

Hi all,

I have a 2008 WK 3.0 Diesel Overland with QDII only about 85k miles. I added OME HD shocks and springs as well as 285/70R/17 Duratracks about 35K miles ago. I haven't wheeled the thing hard at all (I'd say medium trails in CO and PNW). I now have very significant cupping (~18mm) which is apparently the cause of vibration and wobbling issues whenever I exceed 50 MPH, but phases out at about 70MPH. Is there any resolution to this? I was told this is common and I should just live with it or replace tires (not worn enough yet) and that the suspension isn't heavy duty enough for the wheels and tires, thus cupping will always occur after a period of wear (apparently approx 30-35k miles). Les Schwab mentioned that they could balance, but it'll go back to wonky pretty quickly.

Also, after lifting I have a squeaky noise at passenger front corner. No idea what this is, is this normal with lifts and should I just live with it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2021, 10:22 PM
GRAND420

Sounds like it could be alignment issues. Maybe because bad control arm bushings if it's squeaking also.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2021, 06:19 AM
drew54
2006 WK 

If your upper control arm was torqued down while the suspension was hanging and not with your tires and the weight of the vehicle on the ground you can have some squeaking noises. Honestly all of the suspension bushings should be final torqued with the weight of the vehicle on them.

Happened to me. Loosened and retorqued my bolts and it has been quiet ever since

post #4 of 7 Old 10-14-2021, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
justinpik

I'm trying to prevent future vibration caused by uneven and significant cupping (18mm). The tire shop mentioned that this will continue to happen because my shocks are not beefy enough to support my wheels and tires. That doesn't seem right to me.

Any ideas how to prevent this from happening in the future?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2021, 02:25 PM
ZXJohn
2008 WK 

Diagnosing vibrations - three things to check:
1) is the vibration TIRE SPEED or ENGINE SPEED?
2) Does it SHIFT when the transmission does?
3) does it GO AWAY when you lift your foot off the throttle?

If the vibration is tire speed, 'nuff said; it's somewhere in the final drives (i.e., the CV shafts or hubs), the suspension or the tires. Tire speed vibrations are "wubwubwub...", and they accelerate at a steady rate, ignoring your transmission when it shifts gears, and are always there whether you lift your foot off the gas or not. In your case it sounds like tire speed, especially if your tires are showing damage - it could be the tires themselves. In this case, lifting your foot off the gas when the vibration is happening, shouldn't make any difference. HOWEVER...

Engine speed vibration is very fast, almost a buzz - especially on Jeeps, which are high-geared - and it'll usually go away when you lift your foot, because you're unloading the powertrain. If it is above the driveshaft, it'll usually change speed as the car shifts gears. Of note, one standard vibration I've encountered time-and-again, that comes in at 50 mph and goes out at 70 mph, is u-joints.

Hope this helps...
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2021, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
justinpik

Thanks. The problem as stated is tire speed due to the excessive cupping. I was told that my suspension isn't beefy enough to support my wheels and tires. This doesn't sound accurate. I'm therefore trying to discern and prevent in the future the source of the extremely excessive cupping.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2021, 12:12 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

cupping is usually caused by worn out shocks. The tires bounce up and down causing the contact with the road to chew out small pieces of the tread. You say you replaced the shocks about 85k ago. How about the front struts? The stock suspension is usually good for about 100k so you may need to do some suspension work. Duratracks are not a heavy tire compared to some big LT mud tires. Stock suspension should handle the weight of the tires. I would try rotating the tires front to back & see if that helps. FYI Ive got 255/65/17 Yokahama geolanders on JK wheels on my 07 Overland. Went 219 k before i re did the suspension. used KYB struts in front with new upper & lower control arms with new bushings and ball joints. Uesd Bilstein shocks in the rear with new bushings. Tires did not have any cupping issues and now drives and tracks much better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in