Vibrating when accelerating - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
browningv308

Vibrating when accelerating

I have a 2007 WK Overland 3.0 CRD Installed a OME HD lift last month and 265/70/17's Today when at highway speeds I started feeling a vibration when accelerating, and it just kinda started a little at a time, as the drive went on the occasional vibration turned onto a constant vibrating that I could feel through the floorboard and steering wheel { ever been on a gravel road and hit wash board or ran over a rumble strip in the road} Pulled over and crawled under to see if I could see anything { which I couldn't } So I gt back on the road and headed home. This time the vibrating was gone for the 1st 15 miles then it came back light at 1st then constant as the drive went on. From 20 mph to 80 mph the vibrating was there by the time I made it home if I let off the gas it would go away and same thing if it was just coasting along

Got home a pulled the front driveshaft out from under the Jeep since it felt to me that was where the vibrating was coming from and I think I could hear a metallic noise from under the front, drove in 4 low on the blacktop for a few miles to see if it was the front drive shaft and had no vibrating, I was only able to get it up to around 30 mph so no vibrating when driving in low range.

Put the driveshaft back in and went for a drive and again no vibrating or noises. One thing I didn't think of was to mark or index the driveshaft before removing it so after driving it I'm sure it did not get lined back up to where it was originally. But no vibrating at all.

One thing I noticed with the driveshaft was it felt like it has something inside the shaft? I could hit it with my hand and actually feel something moving around inside of it. Both the front joint and rear joint feel tight and solid not much play at all.

The lift shouldn't have changed the angle of the shaft. Could the larger/heavier tires have killed my shaft in under 500 miles?

Any Ideas to work off of? Does your front driveshaft feel like it has something inside of it? Whats in it? Ever had the same issue with a vibration on acceleration?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-25-2019, 01:45 PM
CRDChris

I am fighting some of the same issues. I just replaced the rear driveshaft and the front shaft was replaced about a year ago. I too suspect the front shaft is bad again. MY vibration is not really noticeable until about 50MPH. It is going to the shop because I am tired of working on this myself. I will let you know what I find out.

You may also want check the front diff bushings.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-27-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
browningv308

I'm curious why my vibration went away after I removed the front driveshaft then put it back in. I've put another 100 miles on it this week trying to get the vibration to come back and so far nothing?

I don't mind having to buy a new shaft but hate the thought of buying it then still having it be something else.

My front dif bushings are tight can't find any play under there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in