Urgent! Jeep was stuck in park. Think tech broke something with the shifter - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-18-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
fightingblindly

Urgent! Jeep was stuck in park. Think tech broke something with the shifter

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L
I brought my car in for replacement of a heater hose. They had to order the part so I left it at the shop. I went back later that night because I forgot my apartment key. Tech couldn't find my key and called his boss the manager. They found the key in the ignition of my Jeep that seemed to be on blocks and had the hood propped up. The tech (I'm assuming he was a tech) (stating repeatedly that he was brand new again and again) hopped and tried to pull the key out. The key was stuck. This guy fiddled with the key and shifter a little bit. Then he did it harder. So hard I'd turned around to pick up my phone that I heard it. I saw him moving the shifter and the key very hard. I was speed walking just to tell him I didn't need the key out I could just take a ring off when my key popped out and the shifter popped back. I was a little taken aback but the dude had helped me out by opening the store after closing. Fast forward the next day. On my lunch hour I went back and picked up my Jeep Commander and drove immediately back from the shop to work which is only a 5 mile drive. I parked my car. Engine was fine, no overheating. I went inside worked for 5 hours and came back out. Engine started fine again, no overheating or weirdness. My Jeep is stuck in park. At least one lower level body shop employee is denying they did anything. The manager is gone as of the time of this post and I will have to call back tomorrow. They are saying that the cable in the shifter is damaged, and they cannot replace it alone. It will take 5-6 days to order a new assembly and they want to bill me. Opinions? Am I wrong? Is it not this guys fault? Do they only need to replace the cable or do they need the whole assembly?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-20-2016, 08:06 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Where do these shops get these gorillas? It's not hard to get it out of Park and into gear if you put your foot on the brake. Don't they even know this? I would find it hard to believe the cable is bad. With all their muscling around it could now be out of adjustment though. Only way to tell for sure is to climb under it and have a look. Also, check the brake pedal interlock. Since it worked when you left the shop, it sounds like it may be something rather simple though. Good luck and let us know what you/they find.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Nejeep
2019 WK 

One easy check is to see if your brake lights work. If not the brake interlock switch is likely bad.
Also the ignition interlock cable is attached to the shifter in the console. You can see it in this Youtube video (jump to the 10 minute mark).

19 Limited 4x4 3.6 White/Tan new daily driver
06 Laredo for 11 years
97 Laredo for 14 years

post #4 of 4 Old 02-21-2016, 12:12 PM
DavidGascon

I'm not mechanic by any means, but it sounds like he forced your transmission out of park and into another gear, which can't be good on your car. I'd call another shop, tell them what happened and see if it sounds like it's their doing. Good luck.

Tags
gear , ignition , locked , shifter , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in