Upgrading factory stereo - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Timmmah

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-17-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Timmmah

Upgrading factory stereo

I have a 2008 wk diesel, and the factory radio has no sound. I'm assuming the amp isn't working, it's the Boston acoustic system. Gave an aftermarket amp and navigation deck I'd like to install. I have no problem with running all new wires to speakers and I have no desire to use factory wiring, but u want to retain all factory options like door chimes an such. My steering wheel has no radio controls, just has buttons for the user dash interface. What module do I need? I'm having trouble figuring this out. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-17-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Timmmah

Also, can I just install my new head unit, amp and all wiring without a Pac module? As stated, I don't have any steering wheel controls to worry about.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 06:03 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

You need the PAC module to communicate via the CANBUS system that the BA sound system runs on. You cannot just swap the heads units on those.
Have you checked all the fuses for the amp? The amp sits behind the left rear inside trim panel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Timmmah

I checked fuses for radio, they are good (radio is working, just no sound). Is there a fuse on the amp itself? I pulled Wire harnesses from the amp and reconnected but nothing.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 01:58 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_fuses.htm

Cavity 1 on the interior fuses lists the amp, takes a 30am fuse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Timmmah

Thanks will check that
ggrassmid likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Timmmah

Ok finally onto checking it out today. Fuses good and checked harness at the amp and it's getting power on both power wires, and ground is good as well. There was a slight bit of corrosion in the amp. Pulled the board out of the amp to check it out and found the corrosion.

So the amp must be fried, didn't find any wet spots. So I want nothing to do with the stock BA system. Do I still need the Pac module to install my pioneer HU and aftermarket amp? I have no problem hunting for vss wires and running rcas and such.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in