Which TPMS Sensor Replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-23-2020, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Vahomboy

Which TPMS Sensor Replacement

2007 JGC Limited 4.7l Flex

My RR sensor keeps going dashes. I figure they're probably the oem. I need tires soon and figure that this is the ideal time to replace all 4. The ones I currently have are the ones with the metal stem with nut. I prefer "easy" with the replacement, plug and play if possible. What do you guys recommend?

I've seen these on Amazon, will they work or any good?

https://www.amazon.com/CDWTPS-560530...omotive&sr=1-1

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-23-2020, 05:46 AM
groverson

1936 CJ3A 

Which TPMS Sensor Replacement

My LR had the dashes and then I had the tires rotated and it still showed dashes on the LR. I had my local mechanic use his TPMS scan tool and he found the faulty one. He only replaced the one. All have been ok for a couple of years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 15 Old 09-23-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Vahomboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by groverson View Post
My LR had the dashes and then I had the tires rotated and it still showed dashes on the LR. I had my local mechanic use his TPMS scan tool and he found the faulty one. He only replaced the one. All have been ok for a couple of years....

It only does it a coupe of times a week but I was trying to get ahead of the game by doing the full replacements while I was doing my tires here in a few weeks.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-23-2020, 10:19 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahomboy View Post
2007 JGC Limited 4.7l Flex

My RR sensor keeps going dashes. I figure they're probably the oem. I need tires soon and figure that this is the ideal time to replace all 4. The ones I currently have are the ones with the metal stem with nut. I prefer "easy" with the replacement, plug and play if possible. What do you guys recommend?

I've seen these on Amazon, will they work or any good?

https://www.amazon.com/CDWTPS-560530...omotive&sr=1-1

Thanks!
On the premium TPMS system that you have, there is a transponder located in the LF, RF and RR wheel well behind the liner. This relays info to your wireless control module WCM. Check the connector to the transponder for corrosion/poor connections. when the fault is up ( -- ) there will be a DTC associated as well. The sensor will transmit a low battery warning to the WCM if that exists.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of 15 Old 09-23-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Vahomboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
On the premium TPMS system that you have, there is a transponder located in the LF, RF and RR wheel well behind the liner. This relays info to your wireless control module WCM. Check the connector to the transponder for corrosion/poor connections. when the fault is up ( -- ) there will be a DTC associated as well. The sensor will transmit a low battery warning to the WCM if that exists.

Ok, I'll check those. I've been finding some corrosion on other connections as well and had to address those. Thanks.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Vahomboy

Deleted.

Last edited by Vahomboy; 09-24-2020 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Duplicated post - just deleted it.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-24-2020, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Vahomboy

QUOTE=yzjwk;41079819]On the premium TPMS system that you have, there is a transponder located in the LF, RF and RR wheel well behind the liner. This relays info to your wireless control module WCM. Check the connector to the transponder for corrosion/poor connections. when the fault is up ( -- ) there will be a DTC associated as well. The sensor will transmit a low battery warning to the WCM if that exists.[/QUOTE]

I checked it and all seemed good - no corrosion like I've seen in other connections. Still cleaned it and applied a dab of dielectric grease and put back. This morning driving in I got the message "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System" on the EVIC. I've gotten this several times in the past along with a chime, flashing light and dashes for the RR. My code reader doesn't go that deep. What is a good code reader to read this and possibly program new sensors if needed if replaced without breaking the bank?
post #8 of 15 Old 09-24-2020, 05:32 AM
groverson

1936 CJ3A 

Maybe head down to your local garage. They should have the tool if they do tires. My guy did it in a few minutes and found the faulty one. I think it was around $70 to find it and put in a new one.

post #9 of 15 Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahomboy View Post
QUOTE=yzjwk;41079819]On the premium TPMS system that you have, there is a transponder located in the LF, RF and RR wheel well behind the liner. This relays info to your wireless control module WCM. Check the connector to the transponder for corrosion/poor connections. when the fault is up ( -- ) there will be a DTC associated as well. The sensor will transmit a low battery warning to the WCM if that exists.
I checked it and all seemed good - no corrosion like I've seen in other connections. Still cleaned it and applied a dab of dielectric grease and put back. This morning driving in I got the message "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System" on the EVIC. I've gotten this several times in the past along with a chime, flashing light and dashes for the RR. My code reader doesn't go that deep. What is a good code reader to read this and possibly program new sensors if needed if replaced without breaking the bank?
Usually when you get the "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System" the issue is more then a just a tire sensor, but sometimes not.. You will need something capable of reading the WCM. I wouldn't recommend a tire shop at all but as stated, most full service garages will have the capability.
Programing isn't needed in 80% of sensor changeouts, but because the premium system relies much more on proper addressing, it is needed sometimes. If you were getting new tires soon, you might want to just chance it, swap that transmitter out and let the garage deal with it. Again though, I wouldn't let a tire shop touch it. Too many horror stories.

If you're interested in the diagnostics, a blue driver will be able to read all your modules and give you live data and such, but have no programming ability. appcar-diagfca will allow you to also program and change some factory options, and Jscan is another option similar to the appcar.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #10 of 15 Old 09-24-2020, 12:26 PM
3Recon
2009 WK 

When window shopping for TMPS' s keep amazon sells in check and check Ebay or RA you'd be surprised. When i did my lift and add new tires I had to have old ones dismounted and rely on a wheel mounter/helper installing them properly to my/manufactures spec.(workmanship)
sorry venting,
post #11 of 15 Old 09-24-2020, 04:56 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
I put Schrader 28308 TMPS sensors in the new wheels for my 2005. No programming required, been working great for about a year and a half now. These have the newer style rubber pull through valve body which is easier for tire tech to install and harder to mess up than the screw on metal ones. Also these don't corrode like the metal ones. They look identical to newer Mopar sensors, maybe Schrader is the OEM.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #12 of 15 Old 09-28-2020, 11:24 AM
jeepers_2020

2005 WK 

Garage
I had trouble with this too at first. There's a difference between the 315MHz and 433MHz TPMS sensors. You'll want to figure out which your vehicle/year works with exactly. There's a website that'll really help with that. Look up "WKJeeps TPMS" in google, and they outline what specific part numbers you need for your specific year.

There are some TPMS sensors that are both 315 and 433MHz compatible.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-02-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Vahomboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
Usually when you get the "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System" the issue is more then a just a tire sensor, but sometimes not.. You will need something capable of reading the WCM. I wouldn't recommend a tire shop at all but as stated, most full service garages will have the capability.
Programing isn't needed in 80% of sensor changeouts, but because the premium system relies much more on proper addressing, it is needed sometimes. If you were getting new tires soon, you might want to just chance it, swap that transmitter out and let the garage deal with it. Again though, I wouldn't let a tire shop touch it. Too many horror stories.

If you're interested in the diagnostics, a blue driver will be able to read all your modules and give you live data and such, but have no programming ability. appcar-diagfca will allow you to also program and change some factory options, and Jscan is another option similar to the appcar.

I went ahead and ordered a Blue Driver. A new toy and let's see from there. I might even look into getting the appcar-diagfca as well.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-03-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Vahomboy

Got my Blue Driver and here's the codes I get. First scan was 39 codes. Cleared and rescanned. These came back.

U0159 - Status ACTIVE - Lost communication with parking assist control module.
U0241 - Status ACTIVE - lost communication with auto highbeam headlamp control module.
C216D - Status ACTIVE - Check report for description.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-12-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Vahomboy

I was going to rotate right side wheels/tires to see if the issue followed from rear to front but something else happened. This issue comes and goes. Also over the weekend on a road trip, the right rear went dashes and sometimes the left rear went dashes too, so both had dashes at the same time. To me, this rules out a bad sensor in RR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in