TPMS problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Capital AL
2010 WK 

Garage
TPMS problem

I recently got the TPMS sensors replaced in my 2010 Grand Cherokee. I was told the sensor re-calibrate automatically after driving a certain amount of miles, above a certain speed. It has been about a week since I got the new sensors and I have driven about 100 miles in that time and the TMPS light is still on with the message "low tire pressure" each time I start the car. I have checked all the tires and they are inflated to the correct pressure. Is there some other way to clear the light?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 04:33 PM
groverson

1936 CJ3A 

Did you get new tires? Is that why you had all the sensors replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Capital AL
2010 WK 

Garage
No, I did not get new tires. I got a "Check TPMS" message. One of the sensor battery's went out so I just decided to get all 4 sensors replaced since the others would likely go out soon.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 08:13 PM
moonvan
2008 WK 

Is it possible they got them for an 05-07 with the lower frequency?

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #5 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Capital AL
2010 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonvan View Post
Is it possible they got them for an 05-07 with the lower frequency?
Not sure, I am going to go back to the tire shop tomorrow to see if there is something that they can do. I was just curious if there was something that I could have done at home.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 07:17 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital AL View Post
Not sure, I am going to go back to the tire shop tomorrow to see if there is something that they can do. I was just curious if there was something that I could have done at home.
Shouldn't have to do anything if they are the correct MOPAR tire sensors (i.e., frequency).

More info: http://wkjeeps.com/wk_tpms.htm

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 07:27 AM
groverson

1936 CJ3A 

Yeah I would head back to the shop. I recently had all four sensors replaced on my 2008 Limited 5.7 Hemi Jeep Commander and the sensor were all reading properly driving out of the shop......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #8 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 07:32 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital AL View Post
I recently got the TPMS sensors replaced in my 2010 Grand Cherokee. I was told the sensor re-calibrate automatically after driving a certain amount of miles, above a certain speed. It has been about a week since I got the new sensors and I have driven about 100 miles in that time and the TMPS light is still on with the message "low tire pressure" each time I start the car. I have checked all the tires and they are inflated to the correct pressure. Is there some other way to clear the light?
Sounds like you have the basic system that just displays a low tire and not the actual pressures on the evic? Depending on the factory build you could have a sensor in the spare.. Did anyone check ?
A quick OBD scan with a decent scanner will tell you what sensor the fault is at.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #9 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Did you get a new TPMS sensor for your spare tire? If not, the spare tire is likely what is causing your issue.

While you are at it you may want to replace your spare tire if it is over 8 years old. Rubber rots and you may not want your spouse driving the Jeep with a rotted spare tire.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 05:50 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

A good TPMS diagnostic/reset tool (which any good shop should have) will tell you everything you need to know about the sensors and their status and frequency. A good computerized diagnostic tool will tell you if the sensor ID's match the ID's in the Wireless Control Module (WCM) and also if they are communicating properly with each other. Keep us posted on the findings.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Capital AL
2010 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
Did you get a new TPMS sensor for your spare tire? If not, the spare tire is likely what is causing your issue.

While you are at it you may want to replace your spare tire if it is over 8 years old. Rubber rots and you may not want your spouse driving the Jeep with a rotted spare tire.
I did not get a new sensor for the spare tire. I had to stay at work later and was not able to get to the tire shop today. I will check the spare tire before I go back to the tire shop tomorrow.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-18-2019, 06:08 AM
browningv308

If you have a tpms for the spare where does it show the pressure on the display, my overland will only show all 4 pressures on the display [ on the dash under the speedo
] and I am having the same problem 4 new sensors and still not re setting still getting the service tires message
post #13 of 17 Old 10-18-2019, 10:38 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Depending on the year and the TPMS type (Standard or Premium) the systems are somewhat different. The Premium System that reads the 4 tires won't show the spare pressure, but it will tell you if it is low on pressure. I've not heard of any later (07>) having a problem with the relearn when new sensors are installed. On some of the early ones (including my 06 with the Premium System), the system DOES NOT relearn like it is apparently suppose to. The Sensor ID's MUST MATCH the ID's that are programmed into the Wireless Control Module (WCM). If they don't, you'll get the service light. I had this problem when I put the SRT Rep wheels with new sensors on my 06 Overland. A fairly high end scanner can view and program the numbers in the WCM and a TPMS Service Tool (and some scanners) can read them from the sensors, or you can write them down before you install them in the wheels, making sure you also identify which wheel position they're in. Once you have the ID's, they'll need to be programmed into the WCM for the system to work. Another option (a little costly) is to buy the Dorman TPMS cloning tool and clone their new programmable sensors to match the numbers in the WCM. You'll still need to read the ID's off the wheel sensors though so you know what numbers to clone into the new sensors. This is how I ended up fixing mine, and I haven't had a problem since.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-18-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Capital AL
2010 WK 

Garage
I was able to go back to the tire shop this afternoon and it turns out the sensor in the passenger front wheel was faulty and not giving any signal. That sensor needed to be replaced again and then with a scan tool the technician was able to clear the TMPS warning light. I did check the spare tire and it had about 30 PSI in it so i inflated it back to 35 PSI but that was not the issue that was causing the TMPS warning light to come on.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Arneb04

2008 WK 

Sounds like you got your situation figured out. But just in case it pops on again, or someone else is having issues if you have any kind of Bluetooth receiver/transmitter device running in the Jeep try unplugging it. Cost me $300 in new TPMS sensor installs to find out a hands-free calling transmitter plugged into the power outlet was my issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in