TPM Gremlin - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By martin12qw

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-16-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
3Recon
2009 WK 

TPM Gremlin

A few weeks ago I had my new tires mounted along with new ITM sensors installed on my 2009 Grand Cherokee supplied by me. The wheels 18" Sarah's. Haven't had time to take back DT who did the installed. What happens is when I start vehicle a message come on dash saying check TPMS and then displays shows all four corners with a one pound difference to one maybe two tires(no biggy their cold and only 1 lbs. I push the home button and the temp and compass come up everything fine. sometime this happens when I've been running them and just pop in the grocers for a few minutes and restart with a reading of everything equal in all corners. I've put my Banks programmer/ reader on system and it comes up no codes. I also tried another reader I have the same. I did install myself another set of ITM monitors on my snow tires and wheels(17") (same vehicle) before I went to the Firestone 32's for a short time about a month. I'm wondering if they didn't calibrate them properly?
Tomorrow I'll be in area I'll see what they say I hope I don't need to use my shovel
I've only owned just under 4 months. tires & wheels purchased with vehicle worked, snow wheels worked I know they installed because they have metal steams. Do I have Gremlins and need a Sťance for my vehicle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-16-2020, 11:39 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
These issues come and go... its not unusual. Mine work fine most of the time...then I'll get a warning...then it goes away...etc etc... never ending. Took it to the dealer long long ago....they "fixed" it...ha. NOT.

Recently replace ALL sensors with a new tire purchase.... same thing. It just taint perfect.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2020, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
3Recon
2009 WK 

My problem is when I don't do something that I've done before using a provide product I look at human error. I look at it this way they threw the value stem caps away what's to say they didn't throw the stem inserts (SV) away or in a pile and just picked up ones laying around tire machine tray. with the attituded it'll work.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Yes, that is a possibility. That is exactly why I do most of the work myself when it comes to my Jeeps. But, changing tires is not in my grid so I always go the the same tire dealer where I have gone for the last 39 years. I am fortunate to have a trustworthy shop to go to when I need it.

Nevertheless, there are certain problems on a Jeep that are pretty common and just when you think you have them solved, you don't. TPMS is one of them unfortunately. Some guys never have a problem with it.... we me, it has been an issue since day one.

I bought a cheap tester that you can hold up to the tire and it will read various data from the sensor, including the state of the battery.... I use it now and then just to check up on them, and I use it to check the pressure in my spare because I don't like to crawl under there to check it with a gauge. My system does not read the spare.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-17-2020, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
3Recon
2009 WK 

I'm like you in way and preferring to do my own wrenching even though I'm getting more seasoned in life I know there are some other good wrenchers out there.
Yes I'm still learning my newer generation jeep. I guess I was just pointing fingers. Even though it says to check system no system warning light(TPSM) except doing startup system check.
I usually get all my tires threw Costco or Costco.com but when it came to Bridgestone/Firestones they couldn't.
I did see there are some in expensive testers (cheap) or I'll just see if the tire shop will test and let me watch at arm distant
Chirpz I understand what you say there are things that just start acting weird or have Gremlins
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2020, 08:09 PM
martin12qw

Is not the sensors, if you find one scanner what can read all the codes, it will tell you something like: lost communication with left/right front/rear module.
Mines have the same problem, switches 2 of them, problem stayed on the same place, is the wiring or connectors.
Chirpz likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
3Recon
2009 WK 

Wha-Lah fixed. Well I first went back to where I purchased and had tires mounted. The dealer DC tires try scanning wheels and not until the 4th wheel was it able read a sensor than all four worked. I won't give you a lengthy list of why he thought wasn't reading my Jeep. I asked him about some of them and his response was . So I left and went to Costco (got in line) They woke them up/programed. They did plug a dongle into vehicle and left key on for 20 min. as he was scanning. It worked no more random "Check TPMS" or on start up.
One of the stories the other place tried to feed me was "With Jeeps they'll set themselves after a few miles of driving" I asked "so the tire tech who said they had scanned the sensors was telling a non truth?" once again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in