Too much tranny fluid? Please help - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Greggrand5.7

Too much tranny fluid? Please help

This is probably an easy one for someone used to transmissions. 06 grand Cherokee overland, 5.7 hemi. I changed differential fluid, transfer case fluid, oil and filter, and I dropped the transmission pan and changed the 2 filters. Jeep sounds great, but now won't move...

My issue is the transmission fluid. My Haynes manual says 6.5 quarts for a drain and refill (545RFE trans.) So I also used some Lucas trans fix, and it's giving me very inconsistent readings on the dipstick.

The stick will have fluid above the hot mark, but the indicator holes in the stick aren't filling in. I had this thing running for over 30 min last night and still couldn't figure out if I'm too full or too empty. When I put the dipstick in the bottle of new trans fluid the holes stay filled, so I'm assuming it should do the same in the trans but not sure how different hot trans fluid looks on the stick.

I've put in 8 quarts already and nothing. I want to keep adding to see what happens but I'm scared to blow something out. I have a pump that I can extract some fluid out but, again, can't tell if it needs more or less. Can I keep adding without blowing out gaskets? Should the holes in the (hot side of the) dipstick be filled 100% when it comes out of a hot trans?

I only dropped the pan, cleaned it out, changed the filters (one filter is for the trans cooler) and gasket, and reassembled. No extra steps to drain it. I put 6.5 quarts (per Haynes) in and nothing. Im up to 8 quarts and nothing.

Please help me! I REALLY need this jeep this weekend!!! Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 07:03 PM
sail902

I have the same issue with my 2012 Grand Cherokee overland with the 5.7 Hemi. I believe this trans is the 65RFE. Same situation- I added recommended amount of trans fluid after dropping the pan and changing the filters. Checking the dipstick when in neutral at operating temp. I keep adding and adding more and check it after the fluid has a chance to clear the tube and settle down. sometimes it looks full on one side of the dipstick and looks low on the other side. I added so much fluid in the past few days that I thought I was losing it somewhere, but the pan and underside looks dry. I thought it might be blowing out of the top of the dipstick tube so I taped a paper towel around the top of the tube under the dipstick top and took it for a 20 mile drive on the highway and the paper towel is still dry. So I don't know where all this fluid is going. It doesn't appear to be getting into the coolant. Antifreeze looks good and it at proper level. It's really hard to read that dipstick when the fluid is so clean. I saw a trick to pull the dipstick out and lay it on at paper towel so you can see where the trans fluid soaks into the paper towel, but this dipstick has a twist in it, so that doesn't seem to work either. Anyone experienced this after trans service or have any ideas?
post #3 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

When you changed the flat filter, did you correctly install the oil filter seal against the oil pump? Did you reinstall the screw that holds it in? If it won’t move, my guess is the filter slipped off and is laying in the pan.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm

post #4 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 08:01 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest you use the Haynes manual to soak up spills, and buy a genuine Jeep Service Manual from www.pacificcoastmanuals.com to determine the amount necessary for a fluid change refill.

Service Manuals usually state that you should fill the transmission, start the engine, and then with your foot on the brakes, put the transmission gear selector into each position for a few moments. This fills all the transmission internals.

The dipstick should have lines for you to determine the fluid level. Fluid level is usually checked when the engine is warm and transmission is in Neutral.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Greggrand5.7

Yes i put the seal up in there first, then the filter, then the torx screw. Screwed the cooler filter down hand tight really hard... is it possible that's needs to be tighter? My filter wrench didn't fit very well...

Well I extracted a bunch of fluid and at operating temp it is as close to full as I can tell now. One side of the dipstick always comes out way higher than the other side, so I compare both sides and look for dry spots. I figure there would be no dry spots if it were submerged down there... is this wrong? Should i just look for any spot that's wet and assume that's the level? I most likely tried to reverse it with too much fluid... did i kill the tranny? Should I be reading hot on the dipstick even though it hasn't been driven? Thanks for any help...
post #6 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Greggrand5.7

Thank you Tim, i will do that. Im realizing the Haynes manual has alot of errors... it told me to put atf in the transfer case, but i opted for the mopar transfer case lubricant after finding the fluid wasn't red
post #7 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Greggrand5.7

Now I'm noticing when i take fluid out and i cycle through the gears everything is normal, but the dipstick shows full cold... this thing has been running for an hour now so I wouldn't think it's cold. But when I keep adding little by little to get it closer to the hot side of the dipstick, the D for drive changes when I cycle gears, when I get to 'D' it changes to '3'... does this mean I'm still overfilling?? Is the tranny still cold because it's sitting here not driving? The engine has been running for over an hour and I'm stumped
post #8 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Doesn’t matter the temperature of the engine, it’s the temperature of the fluid that matters. I’ve found the trans cooling on the hemi is very good. Hot fluid level refers to 180deg fluid temperature , so if you can touch it and it feels only warm to the touch then it’s not hot at all .
You really should have measured what you took out and replaced the same amount, but if after 8 qts the jeep jest revs and doesn’t engage, the you should drop the pan again and see what’s wrong.

Also if you search this forum, you will find the 05-08 WK service manual free.
2005JGC likes this.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #9 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Greggrand5.7

I will drop the pan again in the morning. Im hoping that i just need to snug up the filters and then it'll be ok... at certain fluid levels i could hear it shift and almost feel it shift... but it still revs. Im hoping a loose filter is causing a loss of pressure. I'll post what happens
post #10 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 09:40 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Here’s the link to the free factory service manual. Post #123
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...l#post40190681

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #11 of 16 Old 07-05-2019, 10:20 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Yeah, step 1 drop the pan and see what is going on... To me it seems like you are sucking air and not fluid.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #12 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 03:12 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If I remember right mine took close to a gallon.
A lot more than the manual said.
It is hard to tell from the stick because when you fill it it leaves some fluid in the tube.
I would go until you see it at the cold mark hole.
Then drive it and check it again.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Miles2Go

Thanks for the link. It doesn't cover the 3.0L CRD, do you happen to have a link for a free manual on the option?
post #14 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Windexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
Yeah, step 1 drop the pan and see what is going on... To me it seems like you are sucking air and not fluid.
Sounds like either a filter has split (which has got me previously) or it's not seated quite right, as the Jeep will move with low(ish) fluid you'll just get flares when on angles. The below thread is what happened to mine(filter had been on there a year or so), the threads got some links to TSBs related to issues the early 545RFE 4WD models had.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...-hemi-4353607/

2005 WK Limited Hemi, 2" OME lift, header back exhaust, 245/75/R17 MT, Superchips tuned, Roof rack
post #15 of 16 Old 07-09-2019, 08:24 PM
andypasto
2007 WK 

I downloaded a CRD addendum PDF. I think I got it from here, however I don't recall if it was free or not. The page says 30 day free access.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3496...l-CRD-Addendum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in