Tire/wheel fit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-21-2021, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Pugulis
2001 WJ 

Tire/wheel fit

I'm about to pick up my third Grand Cherokee. Started with a ZJ, then a WJ, now I'm getting a 2005 WK. I am currently running 265/70 17's, on Moab's, on my WJ (lots of trimming). I'd like to move them over to the WK, as they are less than a year old, and only have a few thousand miles on them. I've seen different answers as to if they will fit. What I'd like to know is, if they don't, what wheel spacers would work, or could work, and what's the minimum lift. I'd love to just give it a nice 3 inch lift, but I transport my father, who can get into my WJ, right now, but if I went much higher, he couldn't handle getting in. So if wheel spacers would do the trick, I'd like to go that route. Thanks.

[_][]☺[][][]☺[][_] RIP to my 96' Grand Cherokee Laredo 344,700 miles and welcome to my new 2001 WJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-23-2021, 09:15 AM
Mainsail
2005 WK 

265/65-17 is about the biggest tire that will fit with minimal rubbing.

265/70-17 will rub, how much I couldn't say. A lift will be only minimally effective to reduce the rubbing - you may also need to move the wheel away from the UCA bolt and modify the pinch-weld and the wheel well liner.

I'm in the camp of believing that spacers are anathema, I'll never use them. The pic below is my 2005 with 265/65-17 BFGs - no lift no spacers and no pinch-weld/liner mod. The wheels are AEV's Pintlers that were briefly available for the WK series, and move the wheel/tire outboard about 1". They don't make them anymore, although they do make a set for the Wranglers right now that's very close to the backspace/offset of the AEV WK wheels, but I forget which Wrangler.

Give the Moab wheels a test fit and see if they'll work. You may still need to do more mods to minimize the rubbing.
Attached Thumbnails
2014c.jpg  

Poor grammar is something up with which I shall not put.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-25-2021, 11:40 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

Ive got 255/65/17 geolanders on Moab wheels with 1/8" spacers on the front. The spacers are only so the wheels will clear the caliper mounting brackets. I did install longer lug studs to compensate for the spacers. No rubbing, no pinch weld mod, no pinch bolt clearance problems. Ive run this setup for about 4 years and 85k miles with no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in