Temp gauge issues: engine, electrical, thermostat or something else? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2021, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Sgerritzen
2005 WK 

Temp gauge issues: engine, electrical, thermostat or something else?

I'm trying to verify what might be the problem, and if I can fix it myself, before possibly getting scammed by mechanics before paying them a minimum of $3000:

Background:
Less than 2 months ago I bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4.7L with 153,000 miles.

At this point in my life I do not have the option to "just buy another car." I either fix this car myself, open a credit card to pay an auto shop, or I don't have a car.

The start of the issues:
- Check engine light came on 1 week ago.
- While driving from Berkeley CA to Santa Cruz CA, the temperature gauge kept jumping very close to the "H" each time I touched the gas pedal, and the AC stopped blowing cold air for about 20 mins, then started working fine again. Outside temp was between 69-76 degrees.

Auto shop tests and results (unsure if I can trust all of this due to the details I've noticed, listed below):
- Found code P0301 and confirmed cylinder misfire.
- Checked compression, good at 145PSI.
- Moved spark plug and ignition coil to different cylinders and the misfire stayed on cylinder #1.
- Performed leak-down test and the cooling system started bubbling in the radiator during the test.
- Performed hydrocarbon test and the cooling system has 600+ hydrocarbons in the overflow tank, indicating an internal engine leak.

Today, as advised by another mechanic over the phone, I checked the oil and was supposed to check the radiator coolant because he said those are the telltales of the problem being the head gaskets:
- Oil dip stick was fine, translucent brown color in the marked “safe” margin level
- Could not find radiator coolant reservoir or anything coolant related to the radiator besides a big hose, only the main coolant reservoir, which is a little over full from getting topped off at the mechanic’s on Tuesday and is a yellow-green color

I also:
- Turned car on and sat there for 20 mins w/o the temp gauge going up much more than slightly above the fully cold edge
- Drove the loop around the neighborhood which goes downhill then uphill on the way back. When accelerating on the uphill it jumped from 1/4 to 1/2 mark. Returned, parked, kept it running, engine sound changed to sound a little different as it sat there idling in park and I watched the temp gauge go quickly from 1/2 to 3/4.
- Last night, once it was cold out, I drove it 1 mile out and 1 mile back, and the 1 mile back was almost all uphill, and the gauge did roll from the 1/2 mark to a little beyond the 3/4 mark.
- No different colored exhaust smoke since purchase
- No leaks on ground since purchase
- No visible leaks under the hood
- No odd sounds since purchase, minus what sounds like the AC belt in front of the passenger seat clicking for 10 seconds randomly when AC is on (only happened 3-4 times)

So maybe the issue is electrical or the thermostat and not the head gasket/engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-24-2021, 08:25 PM
Barra
2009 WK 

Garage
I can't imagine it is anything but the head gasket if you had bubbling in the coolant system on a leak down test. I had the 4.7l in my WJ and did the heads on it. Not too hard, especially the driver side. Getting them properly torqued is a little tricky since it uses a torque plus angle method.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-25-2021, 01:52 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Do a leak down test on Cylinder #1 to see if it is just the head gasket or possibly the valves too. That will also give you and indication if anything broke inside of cylinder #1.

If it is just the gasket, great. There is a special torquing sequence you need to know and you will need new head bolts, a new and very good head gasket, probably the head resurfaced, and probably timing chain tensioners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in