success: CRD steel fuel tank replaced with plastic gas tank - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
cigrum
2007 WK 

Garage
success: CRD steel fuel tank replaced with plastic gas tank

I just finished the install of a plastic fuel tank from a 2007 Hemi into my 2007 CRD.

Just a few minor mods were needed to make it fit.

1. place a 5/8" rubber fuel line from the vent cap into the y connection. (remove the plastic hose from the y connection and toss, the best way is to heat the barbed end a bit with a heat gun to soften the plastic then split/slice the hose with a knife and remove. I heated the rubber fuel line and lubricated with wd-40 to slide it on the barbed y connection (tight fit), attached the other end with a hose clamp.

2. my tank had a wire grounded to the top of the tank, I spliced and lengthened the line and shrink wrapped and then grounded it to the chassis with a self tapping screw.

That's was it. It took me around 1.5 hours taking my sweet old time, but I did have a friend help and we used a lift and a transmission jack.

Loosen/Remove the 6 bolts that hold the skidplate.
then remove the fill hose clamp and vent line in the rear and the two fuel lines up front (I marked one line with redtape) disconnect the lines by pushing into the convex end of the clip and pull apart. (I cleaned all the connections with wd40 and blew them out before attempting to remove.
disconnect pump wire harness from chassis connection, then remove all the bolts and lower.

First pic shows original tank with vent lines.
second pic is with the modeded vent line.
third pic is of the ground wire that needed to be lengthened.
last pic was just of the debris that came loose from the skidplate when I flipped it over.

I hope this helps out those CRD owners that have a rusted leaking tank.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1521.jpg   IMG_1525.jpg   IMG_1526.jpg   IMG_1522.jpg  
wookiee, suzieque, Xmind and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
cigrum
2007 WK 

Garage
btw i filled the tank with around 40 litres of fuel (2 jerry cans) before i attempted to start it. I turned the key into the on/off position twice and on the third time I cranked the starter and it started right away with no bleeding of fuel lines required.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-25-2018, 12:48 PM
rokrau
2008 WK 

Definitely should put this into the FAQs!

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD

post #4 of 16 Old 09-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

A most useful thread. Thank you.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-25-2018, 07:01 PM
SteveROntario

Did you get any debris out of the replacement tank? I met a guy last week who put one of the plastic gas tanks in his CRD and he felt that the tank may have been involved in damaging 4 of his fuel injectors shortly after it was installed.

I'm not sure how picky these injectors are, my old VW was able to run up to 15% gasoline mixed in the diesel. I also used to dump transmission fluid in the tank to clean out the diesel system.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #6 of 16 Old 09-25-2018, 07:37 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
Did you get any debris out of the replacement tank? I met a guy last week who put one of the plastic gas tanks in his CRD and he felt that the tank may have been involved in damaging 4 of his fuel injectors shortly after it was installed.
Wouldn't it be common sense to clean out a used tank that you have no idea what was in it?

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
225,000+ miles!
post #7 of 16 Old 09-25-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
cigrum
2007 WK 

Garage
yes the tank was cleaned out before install, first with rags soaking up the gasoline then we poured diesel in the tank and swooshed it around then wiped out with paper shop towels (blue)
post #8 of 16 Old 09-25-2018, 10:00 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

I'd be cleaning out anything that you don't know the history of, but especially when changing fuels. Apparently someone put gas in a diesel Sprinter around here and the repair bill was $13k CAD so I imagine a WK could be similar.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #9 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 03:47 PM
suzieque
2008 WK 

do you think there's a way to use rachet straps to suspend the stock fuel tank if the fuel was run quite low and allow removal of the the skid plate for an inspection and cleanup?

seems very odd that the gas powered hemi WK uses a plastic tank, whereas the diesel powered uses a metal tank.

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
post #10 of 16 Old 10-01-2018, 09:17 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
do you think there's a way to use rachet straps to suspend the stock fuel tank if the fuel was run quite low and allow removal of the the skid plate for an inspection and cleanup?
Iím not sure how youíd get a strap under the tank while itís still in the skid.

Itís not that much effort to disconnect the fuel lines and drop the tank.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
225,000+ miles!
post #11 of 16 Old 06-11-2019, 12:45 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

I did this conversion this weekend, the only issue I ran into was the vent line needs 5/16" fuel-rated hose, not 5/8".

post #12 of 16 Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 AM
MR_Brick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
I’m not sure how you’d get a strap under the tank while it’s still in the skid.

It’s not that much effort to disconnect the fuel lines and drop the tank.
I know this is an old thread, but please weigh in on my plan.
Since the skid is almost completely rusted away, it should be very easy to get the straps around the tank. Then while the straps are secured and holding the tank up, drop the skid, or what's left of it. Place new skidplate up in position and after securing skid bolt threads a few turns, cut or remove the straps..
I'm a little gun-shy of those plastic connectors on the gas lines and that's why I'm trying to avoid dropping the tank..Anyone do it like this?
Obviously this is relative to just replacing the skid and not swapping tanks..
Thanks

Last edited by MR_Brick; 08-15-2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: clarification
post #13 of 16 Old 08-15-2019, 05:25 PM
johnsquared
2008 WK 

Garage
Iím not sure what youíd attach the ends of the straps to... the skid bolts to bottom of the body. There isnít really anything there to attach them to.

I just did my plastic tank swap and the plastic connectors on mine were super easy. The attached pic shows the two types youíll find. The red one has little ďearsĒ you have to slightly pry outward to get the red piece to pop upward and release. The black one you just push the little button down and wiggle the line and it pops off. Honestly, these are some of the best designed, best functioning clips Iíve ever run across in 25 years of backyard wrenching.

I guess Iíd also argue that if your skid is that rusty your tank isnít far behind, so might as well do them both of youíre going to do anything at all.

Anyway, just my $.02! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
underscore likes this.

'08 Grand Cherokee
(Oo)[||||||](oO)
Laredo CRD
post #14 of 16 Old 08-17-2019, 01:29 AM
quintessence
2008 WK 

Is this an inevitable replacement for all CRD GC owners? Any preventative things I can do instead?
post #15 of 16 Old 08-17-2019, 12:31 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

A friend of mine dropped the tank and had it cleaned and coated in heavy duty bedliner for about $200 CAD, but you'll need another vehicle to transport the tank and drive while it's being done. When I swapped the tank to plastic it cost me $160 for the tank + $10 for the hose and clamps. I replaced the o ring for the fuel pump assembly as well but I'd do that either way if the tank is out.

You can also add drainage holes into the part of the skid that is missing one and collects dirt. I did that too so hopefully the skid lasts longer.
wookiee likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in