The stalling continues... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2021, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
NGAJeepguy
2007 WK 

The stalling continues...

So I had replaced the IAC and cleaned the intake and that seemed to work for about a week. Then the stalling came back with a vengeance. So I replaced the Camshaft sensor (in response to an abundance of misfires) and that fixed it for another week. Then the stalling came back with a vengeance.

While starting the jeep the other day, the ignition cylinder did something weird. The jeep cranked but would not start so I let go of the key. It stayed in the starting position and continued to crank. I jiggled the key and the jeep started. I'm noticing some inconsistent play in the cylinder and am able to recreate this problem almost at will. I am wondering if that is causing the intermittent stalls.

So I've ordered a new cylinder and I should probably order a new switch while I'm there.

But my question is: Do you know what the correct tumblers are to re-code my cylinder when it arrives? Mopar has wide and narrow and it's not really clear which to purchase. Also, do I have to go through Mopar or are there other places like an autozone that carries all different ones? I'm having a hard time finding them online.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, BTW, I did call the dealer, gave them my VIN and the ignition recall was performed in 2015.

Last edited by NGAJeepguy; 06-22-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-22-2021, 04:42 PM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Which engine are we talking about? If it's the 5.7, what kind of spark plugs do you have in it and when were they last changed? Also, if it's a 5.7, you may want to review this thread and verify yours has the correct plugs in it.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...oblem-1147825/

Pay particular attention to Post No. 1056 on Page 71 of the thread.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8 soon to be replaced by 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid with 1020 hp and 1050 lb. ft. of torque.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2021, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
NGAJeepguy
2007 WK 

It's a 4.7l. The stalling predates my changing the plugs and coilpacks.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-22-2021, 06:18 PM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

OK, what Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) are showing? You really need to use an advanced scanner also, so you can get live and freeze frame data and check fuel trims, coil burn time/voltage and so on. Using a cheapo scanner won't give you all the info. you'll need to properly troubleshoot the problem.....it'll pretty much just give you the DTC's.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8 soon to be replaced by 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid with 1020 hp and 1050 lb. ft. of torque.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-23-2021, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
NGAJeepguy
2007 WK 

No Codes. Nothing in the scanner except the misfires (predominantly on #6 cylinder), that's why I changed the camshaft sensor. Are you saying the broken cylinder/switch won't cause this issue?

The only things left to change are the fuel injectors (which show no issues), or the PCM. Or the wiring I guess.

It's not like the car shows any signs of stalling, it just turns off. You normally don't even know it stalled until you try to accelerate from a stoplight/sign.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 AM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

i would go back to your jeep dealer and have them check for an additional recall on the ignition switch. I know it was replaced previously but I remember there was an updated recall for the switch because some were defective.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-23-2021, 09:14 AM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGAJeepguy View Post
No Codes. Nothing in the scanner except the misfires (predominantly on #6 cylinder), that's why I changed the camshaft sensor. Are you saying the broken cylinder/switch won't cause this issue?

The only things left to change are the fuel injectors (which show no issues), or the PCM. Or the wiring I guess.

It's not like the car shows any signs of stalling, it just turns off. You normally don't even know it stalled until you try to accelerate from a stoplight/sign.
It sounds to me like there may be more than one problem. You have had code(s) on misfires, but have you fixed them? If not, you need to start with that. If it were the cam or crank sensor, you'd have problems on all cylinders, not just No. 6. The ignition switch could definitely cause stalling, but not likely cause a misfire on only one or two cylinders. You'd also probably have other symptoms besides just stalling......gauge issues, intermittent power losses (probably with loss of communication codes) Changing the fuel injectors at this point would probably be a waste of time and money. You need to put an advanced scanner on it and start finding out what is happening when it malfunctions....fuel trims/duty cycles, live and freeze frame data, for sure on the misfires. Also, do like nvrdone1 said and see if there is an updated recall or TSB on the ignition switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in