• 1 Post By Raffish
  • 1 Post By underscore
  • 1 Post By Planetcat
  • 1 Post By Mainsail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-15-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
AlaskanCelt

Spacers??

Alright I know this is a huge topic and there are people on both side. I have a 2005 Jeep WK and was looking into getting 1"-1.5" spacers to widen the stance or the ol gal. I've seen it done and it just makes them look way better imo. How much would it negatively effect everything? Is it worth it? Or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 09:06 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Spacers or wheels with different specs (width, offset, or backspacing).

Spacers are fine, IF they are quality parts and used properly. My 1.25" spacers have been trouble free for a few years now. I have one pair from Bora and one from SpiderTrax. Both are good.
AlaskanCelt likes this.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #3 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 09:54 AM
TackleberryWK
2010 WK 

I have a set of Rough Country 1 1/2" wheel spacers that are working well for me. Good quality stuff.
AlaskanCelt likes this.

"A bad day shooting is better than any day working."

post #4 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

A proper wheel spacer should be secured to the factory studs. The wheel then secures to the studs built into the hub centric spacer. If the spacers are well made with quality materials, they are no different than using a wheel with similar backspacing.

When people talk negatively about wheel spacers, I think they are referring to the type that push out the wheel and reuse the same studs and nuts. Those type hang on with much less thread and I think everyone will agree they are less safe. I've never heard of a proper wheel spacer failing that wasn't because of an improper installation. The only two times I've seen them fail was because the nuts backed out.
AlaskanCelt likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

Spacers will push your wheels out and increase the forces on the wheel bearings and cause premature failure. Especially with a lift and over-sized tires.

Wheel bearings are relatively easy to replace. (If originals are really stuck remove the whole knuckle and hit with a BFH and they'll pop right out, use never seize when reinstalling and easy next time)

Get ones with a lifetime warranty..

Torque spacers correctly.
AlaskanCelt likes this.

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #6 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

I've used both bolt on and slip on spacers on multiple vehicles for years without issues. Both are perfectly safe when used correctly and hazardous when used incorrectly, just like anything else. As others have said the increased strain on things like wheel bearings is no different from the equivalent offset rims.
AlaskanCelt likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleberryWK View Post
I have a set of Rough Country 1 1/2" wheel spacers that are working well for me. Good quality stuff.
Same here. About 50k miles and no problems. Also had them on my WJ and XJ. Get good quality, hub centric ones like spidertrax or rough country and you will be fine. Make sure you torque them to specs too.
AlaskanCelt likes this.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
post #8 of 8 Old 10-18-2019, 09:23 AM
Mainsail
2005 WK 

I've always considered spacers to be the 'bubba fix' - cheap and easy. I went with wheels (AEV Pintlers) that do the same thing.

I'm always glad to hear people say their spacers are working great- but they're not for me.
acabtp likes this.

Poor grammar is something up with which I shall not put.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in