Sound System Upgrades - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
JohnnyBighead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbert3
If you really want to get fancy you can also order (Crutchfield has these as well) the PAC steering wheel control interface for your head uint. and for 70 bucks more you can get the PAC Chrysler interface module to go along with the aforementioned PAC interface so that it is plug and play with no wire cutting or taking apart the steering wheel, which the first kit requires if used alone.
do you have a part number or link for that stuff?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Bishop609

This post is only a few days old, and it deals with this exact issue...I wrote a whole thing on it.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438559
post #18 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
vtbert3
2006 WK 

. . . . . . . . . .

post #19 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 03:35 PM
JohnnyBighead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop609
This post is only a few days old, and it deals with this exact issue...I wrote a whole thing on it.

i may be missing something, but im not sure i follow...
post #20 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Bishop609

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBighead
i may be missing something, but im not sure i follow...
Well I know its not the Commander, but the sound system should be the same...I modified the stock system, and wired it to a sub system. I probably got my wires crossed on what you were lookin for...my bad fellas.
post #21 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM
JohnnyBighead

oh no no you are fine, i really appreciate you trying to help. i was just thinking i was really dumb and missing the point. the stuff you posted is really helpful for doing that switch. its something i may look at in the future so thanks for the heads up. What we were originally talking about was the can bus units that make aftermarket decks controlable with the stock steering wheel controls.
post #22 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Bishop609

Quote:
oh no no you are fine, i really appreciate you trying to help. i was just thinking i was really dumb and missing the point. the stuff you posted is really helpful for doing that switch. its something i may look at in the future so thanks for the heads up. What we were originally talking about was the can bus units that make aftermarket decks controlable with the stock steering wheel controls.
I gotcha...not a problem man. Thats a bit outta my league but the only solution to that I remember hearing...and this was back in the day...was getting a head unit with a remote, and for lack of a better term...busting it apart and rigging the buttons to be activated when pressing the steering wheels buttons. I passed on that option

Glad they have something better now...cause thats just insane...but it would work.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
lightning95sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop609

Hey, Bishop, your post and your thread are exactly what I was looking for and greatly appreciated.

I did a search before I posted, but I could'nt find anything.

Couple questions: Where exactly did you tap into the wires and does the bass trail off as the volume goes up?

Thanks a million for your help. Chuck
post #24 of 31 Old 07-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Bishop609

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning95sc
Couple questions: Where exactly did you tap into the wires and does the bass trail off as the volume goes up?

Thanks a million for your help. Chuck
Hey man glad to help. First I tried to tap the stock amp under the rear seat (left side) for the signal, but that was practically impossible since its such a tight fit...I even tried to take the back seat out...with an air wratchet...that bolt didnt even budge. So I opened the rear left door and tapped the green/white wire right in the door gromet...and ran the wire under the molding back to where the amp an boxes sit. I ran the power and remote wire all the way up of course. The ground was actually pretty interesting. I drilled down into the back of the rear seat...into one of those metal brackets used for strapping things down in the back...its grounded!

My radio does not adjust the bass when I turn up the volume, that would suck...Does yours? In fact the EQ built in actually works really well. Hit me up if ya got anything else.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-19-2007, 03:29 PM
JohnnyBighead

it looks like there are only two wires to crimp/solder, the red and the blue with white strip. What do those connect to? i think the red is the 12v accesory. am i going to have to run wire to the fuse block and wrap it with the ignition fuse or is there something to connect it to? thats the only thing i am confused about as of now.
post #26 of 31 Old 07-19-2007, 03:40 PM
vtbert3
2006 WK 

Quote:

it looks like there are only two wires to crimp/solder, the red and the blue with white strip. What do those connect to? i think the red is the 12v accesory. am i going to have to run wire to the fuse block and wrap it with the ignition fuse or is there something to connect it to? thats the only thing i am confused about as of now.
There are a couple more wires you have to connect but it's really easy (5-10 min max). You only have to conect the wires from the harness to your head unit's factory harness, the rest is plug and play. Therefore, you have to connect the +12V constant, +12V switched, Ground, Dimmer, Mute and the Remote wire. Plus the RCAs of course. The black box also contains a gain control for the RCA's so you can adjust the volume to the right level.
post #27 of 31 Old 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM
JohnnyBighead

i guess it will be easier to see once i get all the parts in front of me. im looking at a picture of the harness coming from the hu and there seems to be quite a few wires that need to be connected. What do those connect to? i only see the two on this harness so am i missing a harness or something. Somebody please set me straight!!
post #28 of 31 Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 AM
vtbert3
2006 WK 

Quote:
i guess it will be easier to see once i get all the parts in front of me. im looking at a picture of the harness coming from the hu and there seems to be quite a few wires that need to be connected. What do those connect to? i only see the two on this harness so am i missing a harness or something. Somebody please set me straight!!

If you look at the harness on the left you will see that a few wire are looped back into theharness. I guess they did this for photo reasons to make it look even easier. Anyway, dont' worry, it easy, plus they give instructions.
post #29 of 31 Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM
JohnnyBighead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbert3
If you look at the harness on the left you will see that a few wire are looped back into theharness. I guess they did this for photo reasons to make it look even easier. Anyway, dont' worry, it easy, plus they give instructions.
yeah i recieved the harness in the mail and i see the wires now, i think it should be super easy. The only part i am worried about now is the 12v accessory wire. the cruthfield guy said that i would have to route it to the ignition fuse. any ideas on that?
post #30 of 31 Old 07-20-2007, 09:32 AM
vtbert3
2006 WK 

Quote:
yeah i recieved the harness in the mail and i see the wires now, i think it should be super easy. The only part i am worried about now is the 12v accessory wire. the cruthfield guy said that i would have to route it to the ignition fuse. any ideas on that?
I didn't have to do that. All of the wires you need to connect to are already in the factory wiring harness(including both the constant and switched 12V lines). Just conncect the quick connects and then just connect the remaining wires that you will use to your new head unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in