Rusted out CRD tank - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Red_liner740

Rusted out CRD tank

Chrysler really dropped the ball on this one.

Yesterday i came outside to find a building puddle of diesel under the driver side, close to rear axle, sure enough, i can see drip spots coming from the tank.

Dammit, i was gonna drop the tank this summer and go over it but it decided to let go before me.

I dropped the tank today, and honestly i'm sick to my stomach.

I'll let the pictures talk for themselves.

That pic is just to prove to some hard headed people on here that yes, it IS a steel tank, you can see the welding magnet stuck to its side.

This is what was under the tank

I scrapped up and took out over 10lbs of sand, mud and pebbles from under the tank.

After cleaning it off this is what welcomed me

I was hoping that it was gonna be a small pin hole leak or something i can fix real quick but now i'm not so sure.

Here's the ****ing kicker. Chrysler is BACK ORDERED TWO THOUSAND FUEL TANKS!!! Back ordered at over $1500 a pop!!

car-part.com there isnt a single one in Canada, i just spoke to a local junk yard and hes going down to US to pick up a bunch in three weeks.

Everytime i wash the truck i make sure to spend some time cleaning that fuel tank pocket by rear wheel and to try and get into the little holes in the tank shield.

This is unacceptable. It is clearly a manufacturing defect that a 6 year old tank after 150k miles looks like that. Whoever decided to use the metal shield on a metal tank in such a way that it traps all the gravel, dirt and road debris is a ****ing moron.

I wouldnt be suprised if there's a class action lawsuit about to happen on this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 AM
SSF556

2008 WK 

Yes it is a ****ty design that could be fixed by providing a plastic tank.

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #3 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 12:36 PM
japeart
2007 WK 

yeah my dad had this just happen on his CRD as well. couldn't get a tank either. Had the tank cleaned and then lined with por15 tank liner repair kit.

I'm gonna drop mine soon and throw some por15 rust paint on it. Also gonna drill more drain holes in the shield.

07 Grand Cherokee - 3.0L CRD - GDE Hot Tune - QDII - OME HD - 255/75/17 BFG MT
Black WK Club #156

post #4 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Tango.

I think someone posted from either TO or missisauga with a $600 fix if I remember right.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #5 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Red_liner740

Here's what it looked like after 2 hours of grinding away rust

Thats the actual hole

Its on the side of the tank on the upper "clam". There are several more spots that have rusted enough to be problematic.

I've welded the pin closed and ground it down then covered all exposed metal with PRC 1422 class B. Its aircraft grade sealer i used while doing aircraft maintenance. Its the cats *** designed specifically to seal aircraft tanks. Jet A and Diesel are so close to each other that for all intents and purposes they are the same minus the lubricity additive to diesel.

http://www.skygeek.com/prc-desoto-pr...k-sealant.html

Thats the dirt that i collected from the tank shield.

Lots of pebbles and other larger debris was trapped between the tank and shield.

Biggest problem IMO is the back portion, the corner that can be seen from the wheel well. This is where most of the rust was concentrated and it was doing it simply because it was constantly surrounded by moist wet dirt and debris. A bunch of 1" openings cut into that corner where the power washer nozzle can be inserted and blast the dirt out would do wonders.

Removing the sides off the shield and spacing the bottom part of the shield from the tank would allow proper washing and would allow moisture to accumulate and corrode the tank.

I need my Jeep back but when i get my weekend car up and running i'll do a proper fix to the Jeep.
post #6 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Wow, sorry to see that! I really need to drop my tank ASAP to seal it up.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
216,000+ miles!
post #7 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 PM
TurboDiesel

2008 WK 

if u unbolt that steel "skid plate" will the fuel tank just fall down?
or can u unbolt that skid and paint the tank???

this is the one thing other than a glow plug breaking, that really stresses me out sometimes lol

2008 CRD // GDE Eco // DPF delete // 3" intercooler // OME HD // 265 dirtytracs etc.
post #8 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Red_liner740

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel View Post
if u unbolt that steel "skid plate" will the fuel tank just fall down?
or can u unbolt that skid and paint the tank???

this is the one thing other than a glow plug breaking, that really stresses me out sometimes lol
Yes, the steel skid plate is what holds the tank up. No way to drop just the skid plate.

Besides, dropping the tank is two fuel lines, an electrical plug, filler hose and breather hose from happening. I had to drop the front of my rear drive-shaft to be able to get to one of the bolts...
post #9 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Tango.

Did you paint the tank with that PRC 1422 .. or just the spotty areas? What are you going to re-paint the tank with?

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #10 of 102 Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Red_liner740

cant really paint with it. Its hella expensive (this is where still having boys in aircraft maintenance comes in handy), and it has consistency of JB-weld.

Cool thing about it is that it comes packaged ready to mix, you depress a plunger which shoots one mix into the other then the outer portion of the plunger becomes a mixing rod that you pump in and out to thoroughly mix the epoxy.

I'll take pics tomorrow but anywhere it was rusting on the sides and underneath i ground down and pasted on the PRC.

Once cured i will spray bed liner on the skid and tank to finish the protective layer.
post #11 of 102 Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 AM
HTHM
2007 WK 

How about wrapping with fibreglass?
post #12 of 102 Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

I want to get mine dropped and checked and painted with Chassis Saver before I run into any issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 102 Old 03-31-2015, 05:32 AM
Tango.

I think the hole saw with some 1" holes is a really good idea. That hole is on the side where all the debree built up right?

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #14 of 102 Old 03-31-2015, 08:56 AM
kwikrnu
2007 WK 

My crd has 142k miles. I dropped the tank to fit the tank skid I bought a few months ago and the tank looks like new. There was some, but hardly any debris sitting in the tank support. It must be a northern thing.

2007 WK CRD QDII,OME / bilstein 5100 lift,K&N intake,GDE hot tune,hidden winch mount Warn vr12000.
post #15 of 102 Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 AM
SSF556

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
My crd has 142k miles. I dropped the tank to fit the tank skid I bought a few months ago and the tank looks like new. There was some, but hardly any debris sitting in the tank support. It must be a northern thing.
It is...salt is evil

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in