Ride quality for lifted WK - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-19-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Windexer

Ride quality for lifted WK

Guys I've been running a ~2-2.5 inch lifted WK for the past 18 months that uses a OME strut (N188S) and a spring from CRDSTU (Aussie supplier), I'm quite happy with the height but I'm finding the ride to be overly firm, now I understand that this is totally down to personal preference but I've ridden in many a 4wd that rides far better over fire trails and slower technical stuff than the WK currently does.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a spring rate for the springs so we'll leave them as potential suspects. My key area is the front as the rear seems to ride just fine once I've disconnected the swaybars and have some stuff in the back for heading away.

I'm thinking of going back to the drawing board and getting some of the Bilstein B8 5100 shocks for the front and some stock springs (MOOG replacements), then either using the 5100's adjustable spring perch to set the height or using a strut spacer for the lift. The reason I might look at the strut spacer is that the extended length of the 5100's is no different to the OME's and I've found that they unload very violently with the current setup and having a little more down travel is always better (as long as I don't start busting CVs!).

I've rear a few threads on here discussing the merits of OME springs + other shocks and such but dont think I've seen the approach of using new stock height springs + Bilstein's. The other option is some Kings coilovers... but at close to $2k for just the front end thats a hell of alot of other mods.

2005 WK Limited Hemi, 2" OME lift, header back exhaust, 245/75/R17 MT, Superchips tuned, Roof rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-19-2019, 08:54 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
The stock springs and the 5100's with a spacer is at the top of my to do list actually. I agree, my OME HD lift is just too stiff. I don't like the front end bouncing into the air hitting bumps going up a trail. I am sure there will always be some bounce but I really would like it to be softer up front.

I like using the adjustable spring perch to adjust the spring preload on the stock springs and get a bit more stiffness to support the winch and eventual bumper while not requiring spring preload for the entire lift. I am going camping in 2 weeks and am hoping to have this project done for the trip.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #3 of 20 Old 10-19-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Windexer

Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at the different MOOG springs as they have a few options based on the different engines, might almost sway me to buying some 4.7 or RWD springs as they have a lower spring rate, 430lbs/inch vs. 480lbs/inch.
2005JGC likes this.

2005 WK Limited Hemi, 2" OME lift, header back exhaust, 245/75/R17 MT, Superchips tuned, Roof rack

post #4 of 20 Old 10-19-2019, 11:43 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
That would be interesting to go with the 2wd spring!

I have my factory springs that have 20k miles on them so I am going to stick with them for myself, but I am curious how that would work out with the spring perch squeezing the spring more on the lighter spring.

post #5 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Windexer

Yeah, I might have to do a bit of reading on the potential downsides of going with a lighter spring as ideally I don't want to end up slamming my upper arms into the shock tower constantly.

post #6 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 01:23 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

First figure out the rates of the springs you currently have, it sounds like they're way too high for what you want but without knowing what you consider too harsh it's hard to suggest a better alternative. I've got the OME MD springs and the ride is superb.
JeepN_A_CJ7 likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #7 of 20 Old 10-20-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Windexer

Yeah that has been hard to do so far as the manufacturer hasn't been able to share that information. Moving to the lighter spring should give me a baseline finally.

post #8 of 20 Old 10-21-2019, 02:11 AM
Kolak
Vendor

What is the sidewall load range rating of your tires?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-21-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Windexer

I've currently got 245/75/R17 BFG KM2 121/118Q tyres on it, unfortunately there arent a huge range of options in tyres over here in Oz for the Jeep.

post #10 of 20 Old 10-22-2019, 01:57 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Those appear to be load range E and would definitely make for a more harsh ride. I recommend load range C next time you need tires.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #11 of 20 Old 10-22-2019, 04:23 AM
browningv308

I have the OME heavy duty lift and 4 ply tires on my 07, didn't really get a lot of drive time on the stock springs/struts before I lifted it. I think the ride quality is great, it eats our washboard gravel roads up and on pavement it rides great.

I think it's all in what your used to, my other 4 vehicles are either 1 ton or 3/4 tons with 10 ply tires so running over a stick in the road makes you bounce out of the seat.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-22-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Windexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Those appear to be load range E and would definitely make for a more harsh ride. I recommend load range C next time you need tires.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm also looking at experimenting with a 16 inch rim (done some reading, it will be some work) but that would also give me some additional sidewall which always helps.

post #13 of 20 Old 10-27-2019, 10:33 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I agree 100% with the "C" rating vs an "E" rating but the reality is that very few off road tires will be found in 17"rim sizes in a "C" rating. I've been using General Grabber AT2s in a 245/70-17 in a P rating, another I might consider is the Goodyear Duratrac same size, which is also available in a P rating. I would prefer a "C" rating as we have used on our '98 ZJ (30"x9.5-15) as this is ideal for the weight of Jeeps. "E" rated tires are designed for much heavier vehicles hence the stiffness and harsh ride.
Even the Wrangler Rubicon comes from the factory with "C" tires on it, too bad more are not available in sizes that will fit WKs.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #14 of 20 Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

^ depends on the diameter you want, but 255/75R17 KO2's are available in load range C.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #15 of 20 Old 10-29-2019, 03:22 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
For what its worth (nothing)... I do like how the OME HD lift drives around town. Its stiff but not too stiff. Allows my tall SUV to corner well and feel sure footed. My only problem I have with the OME HD lift is off road where much larger obstacles than a speed bump may/will be encountered where you have occasionally have to use momentum to get up the nasty, slick, muddy trail. Then its stiff enough that it doesn't take much of a bump to throw the jeep front end in the air. I would love for it to absorb the blow a little better off road. I am already aired down from 8-18psi when I am off road dependent on what I am driving on and the time of year on a load range D tire (Hankook Dynapro MT). Absorbing an abrupt bump is not going to happen with these springs. Great spring. Great driver. Not the best off road in all situations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in