Resolving P0720 - Output Shaft Speed Sensor ('08 CRD w/ W5A580/NAG1) - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By DrBenz
  • 1 Post By DrBenz
  • 1 Post By SteveROntario
  • 1 Post By badgerwithhands

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2020, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Resolving P0720 - Output Shaft Speed Sensor ('08 CRD w/ W5A580/NAG1)

Hello everyone.

I'm looking at possibly picking up another '08 JGC CRD. I sold my '08 JGC Overland CRD this past November with 384,000km on it. This one has only 205k. The seller is an acquaintance and he contacted me to see if I would be interested in it as a parts vehicle as he assumed I still had my Jeep. It's been sitting for about a year at his cottage. I went to see it, charged the battery and got it running. It has a few codes, most of which I'm familiar.

Unfortunately, it does have a P0720 (Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit) code that I'm not familiar with. I came across an online W5A580 repair workbook and it appears that this transmission doesn't have an Output Shaft Speed Sensor. The other transmission found in the 4.7L and 5.7L versions does.

This transmission TCM uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to calculate the output shaft speed sensors.

If anyone has experience resolving this, please let me know. Is it a wheel ABS speed sensor that's causing the problem? Perhaps so, since there is also an ABS light (the dash might just look like a Christmas tree...).

Thanks.

Between Jeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2020, 07:17 PM
DrBenz

The transmission is the Mercedes 722.6, right? If it is the output shaft speed sensor is part of the conductor plate. You can order it separate and they are plug and play with no coding that needs to be done
Curlybandit likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBenz View Post
The transmission is the Mercedes 722.6, right? If it is the output shaft speed sensor is part of the conductor plate. You can order it separate and they are plug and play with no coding that needs to be done
Hello Dr. Benz. Thanks for the reply. It is the MB 722.6. I'll look into the conductor plate and order from MB. I've had much better luck in the past getting parts from MB than Jeep.

Between Jeeps

post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2020, 09:00 PM
DrBenz

When u get it, to change it out you will have to remove the valve body. Replace the trans electrical connector at the same time. They are only like 25$ or so and when they fail they cause lots of problems down the road plus they leak constantly. The main thing is to torque the valve body bolts properly after installation. I have seen the 722.6 and 722.7 have issues where they won’t move or slip all because one or two bolts were left loose on the valve body to transmission bolts. It is a relatively simple repair minus making the mess and using 6-8 plus quarts of synthetic tranny fluid. Also replace the trans filter when doing the repair, might as well perform the full service if the valve body is coming out.
Curlybandit likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2020, 05:41 PM
SteveROntario

You can get the conductor plate from Dorman and it will be an MB part.
Curlybandit likes this.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #6 of 8 Old 08-20-2020, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBenz View Post
When u get it, to change it out you will have to remove the valve body. Replace the trans electrical connector at the same time. They are only like 25$ or so and when they fail they cause lots of problems down the road plus they leak constantly. The main thing is to torque the valve body bolts properly after installation. I have seen the 722.6 and 722.7 have issues where they won’t move or slip all because one or two bolts were left loose on the valve body to transmission bolts. It is a relatively simple repair minus making the mess and using 6-8 plus quarts of synthetic tranny fluid. Also replace the trans filter when doing the repair, might as well perform the full service if the valve body is coming out.
This is great info! Thank you!

Between Jeeps
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
You can get the conductor plate from Dorman and it will be an MB part.
Great! Thank you

Between Jeeps
post #8 of 8 Old 08-22-2020, 09:43 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Very important to take note of the shifter arm. It is simple but also easy to miss when reassembling. A lot of the videos I saw in regards to this replacement do not mention it
Curlybandit likes this.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in