Replacing Starter and Bearings Myself - Brands?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-05-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
bmb063
2005 WK 

Garage
Replacing Starter and Bearings Myself - Brands??

Hi everyone. After taking my jeep for some aggressive off roading, maintenance has been draining my bank account... So I will be replacing the starter and front bearings with a friend in the next month or so.

The starter is caked with mud and makes a grinding noise sometimes at crank. The front bearings are dirty and noisy/rattly. I was quoted over $1k for parts and labor (for both jobs combined).

Here are the parts I am looking at. Any advice or tips for doing either job? I am not familiar with brands or why there might be a price difference. Thanks for the help!

Starters:

https://www.go-parts.com/0508-jeep-g...r-p-45257.html

http://www.thewrenchmonkey.com/auto-...uVwxoCP4zw_wcB

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-14011-...iberty-07.aspx

Bearings:

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...?dbpcid=gglpla

http://www.1aauto.com/jeep-wheel-bea...2FxxoC2mLw_wcB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-05-2015, 09:06 PM
gjxj

you need to unbolt the front driveshaft to do the starter. Not a huge deal, just be aware its a little bigger job than you might expect. (and keep that in mind if thinking about a discount part)
post #3 of 11 Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
bmb063
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjxj View Post
you need to unbolt the front driveshaft to do the starter. Not a huge deal, just be aware its a little bigger job than you might expect. (and keep that in mind if thinking about a discount part)
I've heard that you have to unbolt it too, but I found a youtube video showing how to avoid doing that...

And do those parts looks okay? Any to avoid?

post #4 of 11 Old 11-06-2015, 08:34 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

www.rockauto.com

Buy them all together. Enter this code for 5% off: 3703497929048574

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #5 of 11 Old 11-06-2015, 11:23 AM
ryankokesh
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjxj View Post
What the heck were they smoking when they designed that...?
post #6 of 11 Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 AM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Might just be me but I'd pay the extra cash and get Timken hubs, also if you have an Advance Auto close by you can order the starter from them online and use a discount code and get it for about the same price you're looking at and if you have problems with it you can get a new one without having to wait.

Hers - 2011 Dodge Durango Crew
Mine - 2004 Toyota Tundra DC SR5
post #7 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
bmb063
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post
Might just be me but I'd pay the extra cash and get Timken hubs, also if you have an Advance Auto close by you can order the starter from them online and use a discount code and get it for about the same price you're looking at and if you have problems with it you can get a new one without having to wait.
Timken are 2-3x the price - that's pretty hard to justify since this is my main vehicle in winter and then just a second car in every other season. Unless the $70 ones are that bad, I will probably stick with them. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
post #8 of 11 Old 11-09-2015, 02:15 PM
1AAuto.com
1A Auto Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb063 View Post
Timken are 2-3x the price - that's pretty hard to justify since this is my main vehicle in winter and then just a second car in every other season. Unless the $70 ones are that bad, I will probably stick with them. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
We have a 2 year warranty on our economy wheel bearings. Our starters are brand new, not rebuilts. Our starters include a lifetime warranty with no core charge.

All orders include free shipping in the lower 48 states.

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Doing the labor yourself will take some significant time and patience mostly because of rust. Do yourself a favor and put in mopar parts so you do not have to do the job again in six months. Moparpartsdiscounted or another vendor that is a member of this site sells mopar parts at significant discount.

Sure, there are a lot of inexpensive parts available but most are from mainland China using low grade steel and poor tolerances - that is why they are inexpensive.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 12:24 PM
jimmyj02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
What the heck were they smoking when they designed that...?
It's actually a lot easier of a job than most starters. The starter has plenty of room to drop out once the drive shaft is out of the way and not like most where you have to fanagle the freaking thing 20 different ways to get it into position AND still have to put the + wire on!!!
post #11 of 11 Old 11-12-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
bmb063
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj02 View Post
It's actually a lot easier of a job than most starters. The starter has plenty of room to drop out once the drive shaft is out of the way and not like most where you have to fanagle the freaking thing 20 different ways to get it into position AND still have to put the + wire on!!!
Thats good news to hear! Another question I have is if I really need to replace it. Over a month ago I heard a sort of grinding noise only when starting, but this happened less than 5 times probably. Ever since it's gone away. Firestone said I have mud caked on the starter and the only way to fix it is to replace it: > $300 job.

Do I really need to replace it since it seems to be fine now? I don't want to risk it, but everything seems to be working fine. I am a little more focused on the bearings at the moment.

Also - I got an alignment and it still pulls to the left...the shop said it could be the bearings or wheels so there's nothing they can do. Slightly annoyed about that. I wouldn't have even got one if it wasn't going to fix the issue.

Tags
bearing , bearings , brand , replacement , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in