replacement shock absorber discussion - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-06-2007, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
soldierguy

2012 JK Wrangler 

replacement shock absorber discussion

Hey all...there have been a few threads here and there about replacement shocks for the WK/XK, but I ran across a few things today while shopping around online that I wanted to throw out for opinions.

As far as I can tell, the selection of aftermarket shocks for a stock-height WK/XK is pretty poor. I just want something firmer than the stock shocks to reduce or eliminate the floaty feeling.

I know some have replaced their rear shocks with Bilsteins that required a washer to fit correctly because the Bilstein's "eye" is narrower than the stock one. Any comments on those? How are they holding up? And what's the part number for those?

I ran across 2 other potential options for shocks:

- Monroe Reflex shocks are available for both the front and rear. I like the idea of a matched set, but on the Monroe site, it says something about the Reflex shocks matching the stock ride...not what I'm looking for. Anyone have Monroes and care to comment? Also, Monroe's site indicates that there is a different option coming out in 3rd quarter of this year for the front, but the site gives no indication of what that might be. Existing part numbers for the front are 931377 and 71377...the 71377 was listed under the section for best ride, while the 931377 was listed for more control. Rear part number was 911278. And the later available part number is 905922, but I have no idea whether it will be firmer, softer, for lowered suspensions, raised, or what.

- KYB makes the GR2 for the front (no KYB's available for the rear), and from what KYB's site says, it sounds like it would be firmer than the stock one. Has anyone tried the KYB yet? KYB GR2 part number is 341603.

If I had to buy today, I'd probably get the KYB for the front and the Bilstein for the rear. I'm not hot on mixing shock brands, but the thought of driving across the country pretty well loaded down (and possibly towing a small trailer) on the stock shocks really doesn't thrill me.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

soldierguy

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 AM
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy
Hey all...there have been a few threads here and there about replacement shocks for the WK/XK, but I ran across a few things today while shopping around online that I wanted to throw out for opinions.

As far as I can tell, the selection of aftermarket shocks for a stock-height WK/XK is pretty poor. I just want something firmer than the stock shocks to reduce or eliminate the floaty feeling.

I know some have replaced their rear shocks with Bilsteins that required a washer to fit correctly because the Bilstein's "eye" is narrower than the stock one. Any comments on those? How are they holding up? And what's the part number for those?

I ran across 2 other potential options for shocks:

- Monroe Reflex shocks are available for both the front and rear. I like the idea of a matched set, but on the Monroe site, it says something about the Reflex shocks matching the stock ride...not what I'm looking for. Anyone have Monroes and care to comment? Also, Monroe's site indicates that there is a different option coming out in 3rd quarter of this year for the front, but the site gives no indication of what that might be. Existing part numbers for the front are 931377 and 71377...the 71377 was listed under the section for best ride, while the 931377 was listed for more control. Rear part number was 911278. And the later available part number is 905922, but I have no idea whether it will be firmer, softer, for lowered suspensions, raised, or what.

- KYB makes the GR2 for the front (no KYB's available for the rear), and from what KYB's site says, it sounds like it would be firmer than the stock one. Has anyone tried the KYB yet? KYB GR2 part number is 341603.

If I had to buy today, I'd probably get the KYB for the front and the Bilstein for the rear. I'm not hot on mixing shock brands, but the thought of driving across the country pretty well loaded down (and possibly towing a small trailer) on the stock shocks really doesn't thrill me.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
Replace the rear sway-bar with the SRT versions and no more float.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-06-2007, 08:36 AM
ennemme
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge
Replace the rear sway-bar with the SRT versions and no more float.
Is it compatible?

WH Limited 4.7L V8 QuadraDrive II - M.Y. 06 "Midnight Blue" - Sunroof - NAV REJ - GoodYear Wrangler HP 245/65 R17 - Toyo Open Country WT 235/65 R17

post #4 of 23 Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Kolak
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennemme
Is it compatible?

I've sold several sets of the SRT8 rear shocks to owners of WKs and the feedback has been very impressive. The shocks are monotube shocks made by Bilstein and they improve ride control and handling quite a bit.

PM me if you'd like pricing -- JeepForum members get 25% off the retail pricing for all genuine Mopar parts.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-06-2007, 10:22 PM
JerseyGeorge

Quote:
Is it compatible?
It's on the back of my Jeep....so yep, it's compatible
post #6 of 23 Old 03-07-2007, 03:10 AM
ennemme
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak
I've sold several sets of the SRT8 rear shocks to owners of WKs and the feedback has been very impressive. The shocks are monotube shocks made by Bilstein and they improve ride control and handling quite a bit.

PM me if you'd like pricing -- JeepForum members get 25% off the retail pricing for all genuine Mopar parts.
So you're suggesting me not to change only the rear sway bar, but also the the rear shocks? Uhm... and what about the front set? Are they also compatible? I don't want my car become low as SRT8
Thank you

P.S. Thank you for retail pricing but I live in Italy

WH Limited 4.7L V8 QuadraDrive II - M.Y. 06 "Midnight Blue" - Sunroof - NAV REJ - GoodYear Wrangler HP 245/65 R17 - Toyo Open Country WT 235/65 R17
post #7 of 23 Old 03-07-2007, 03:14 AM
ennemme
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGeorge
It's on the back of my Jeep....so yep, it's compatible
WOW great, but what about comfort?

post #8 of 23 Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
soldierguy

2012 JK Wrangler 

I like the idea of the SRT8 shocks, but are they long enough? I know the SRT8 sits at least an inch, if not 2 inches lower than a regular WK, so I'd be really concerned about the length of the shock when fully extended. The absolute LAST thing I'd want is to go over a bump and have the shocks pull apart and dump fluid everywhere...then I'd REALLY have a floaty ride.

I had that happen on a previous car...the shop that replaced the struts mistakenly put in ones that were too short...the car was not fun to drive after that!

Also...what options are there for the front besides the KYB that I've mentioned. Anyone know of any other options?

soldierguy

post #9 of 23 Old 03-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The SRT8 shocks are ever so slightly shorter than stock. There's still plenty of travel, however
post #10 of 23 Old 03-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Quote:
So you're suggesting me not to change only the rear sway bar, but also the the rear shocks? Uhm... and what about the front set? Are they also compatible? I don't want my car become low as SRT8
Thank you

P.S. Thank you for retail pricing but I live in Italy

The front shocks are compatible as well, but most people are changing shocks in the rear first because the greatest handling and ride control improvements are to be had there.

The front SRT8 swaybar is also an excellent modification. I'd recommend that before doing the SRT8 front shocks since it's less expensive and easier to install.

As for shipping, I ship to Italy all the time.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 AM
ennemme
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak
The front shocks are compatible as well, but most people are changing shocks in the rear first because the greatest handling and ride control improvements are to be had there.

The front SRT8 swaybar is also an excellent modification. I'd recommend that before doing the SRT8 front shocks since it's less expensive and easier to install.

As for shipping, I ship to Italy all the time.
OK thank you for all... and I'll consider you as my american vendor

post #12 of 23 Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Bulldog9

I wouldnt worry about the difference in ride height all that much, though the SRT is 2" shorter than the Normal _K, it would only amount to about 1" of loss for extension travel, and 1" less of compression. Not a big deal unless you wheel all the time.

I wonder, what is the diameter of the Stock sway bars vs. the SRT 8?

I'm strongly considering the rear shocks and front/rear sway bars, but May just do the rear shocks and sway bar and front polyurethane bushings.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Tispco

I just installed the Monroe Reflex 911278 rear shocks tonight. They are firmer than stock and get rid of the floaty feeling. There is a street I travel quite often with 7 speed humps in it. The first time I drove over it with my WK it bottomed out at about 25mph. I was disappointed how soft the rear suspension was and it was very uncomfortable. All the other cars I have had could easily go over at 30mph if I wanted to.

Anyways, I installed the Monroe shocks and I was able to hit the speed humps at 30mph without any problem. This is the way the WK should have handled from the factory. So, for $54 / shock and 20 minutes of my time (the WK shocks are VERY easy to change), my problem is solved.

94 White Cherokee Country
3" SkyJacker Lift
BFG 30s on TJ Canyon's
Rocky Road Armor

07 RockRed Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.7L V-8
QuadraDrive II
Off-Road Package
post #14 of 23 Old 03-16-2007, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
soldierguy

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tispco
I just installed the Monroe Reflex 911278 rear shocks tonight. They are firmer than stock and get rid of the floaty feeling. There is a street I travel quite often with 7 speed humps in it. The first time I drove over it with my WK it bottomed out at about 25mph. I was disappointed how soft the rear suspension was and it was very uncomfortable. All the other cars I have had could easily go over at 30mph if I wanted to.

Anyways, I installed the Monroe shocks and I was able to hit the speed humps at 30mph without any problem. This is the way the WK should have handled from the factory. So, for $54 / shock and 20 minutes of my time (the WK shocks are VERY easy to change), my problem is solved.
GREAT! I'm really glad you chimed in. It's always great when someone who has direct experience with both stock and different stuff can offer opinions.

Glad to hear that the monroe is firmer than stock. I'm not too keen on the idea of going with an unknown (which the monroe was till you chimed in), and I'm not keen on the idea of the shorter SRT8 shocks...if they were the same length I'd go with them, but knowing they're shorter would bother me...even if I never had a problem because they were shorter, it'd still be in the back of my mind all the time.

soldierguy

post #15 of 23 Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 AM
OnionCrk

Soldierguy - did you ever change your shocks to the Monroe Reflex?

We have an '06 GC Ltd Hemi (14 months old) and it was at the dealer 2 months ago to have a leaking front strut (replaced under warranty but still...). Now we have a leaking rear shock and it goes in tomorrow to have it replaced. With only 10,000 miles on the clock, this is disappointing. Never had a shock leak on any vehicle in the past, and these are street miles.

Anyway, we love the WK, so I was looking around web to see about aftermarket struts & shocks. I have always used Bilstein in the past, but as you know they do not offer them. Found the Monroe Reflex (front/rear set) and will probably go with them. Just looking to replace OEM and remain stock for our purposes.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in