Remote Start Kit Recommendations? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-29-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Penemonie
2006 WK 

Remote Start Kit Recommendations?

Thinking of buying one for my 06 WK Laredo (Automatic). Any good ones less than around $120?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-29-2016, 04:38 PM
UTWKinFL

I installed the module to the left. The box to the right is optional, it's a T harness which dramatically reduces the amount of wiring need be done. This used the factory fob, lock 3xs.
This like any other remote starter for modern vehicle, will require flashing from the Internet with a programmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 PM
kryton

Garage
I ordered the xpressxit dball. Looks like pic above but ignored t harness as was easier on euro spec. 1 hour job all in & works a treat

post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Penemonie
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWKinFL
I installed the module to the left. The box to the right is optional, it's a T harness which dramatically reduces the amount of wiring need be done. This used the factory fob, lock 3xs. This like any other remote starter for modern vehicle, will require flashing from the Internet with a programmer. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a good product. What do you mean by flashing from the internet?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 PM
UTWKinFL

Remote Start Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penemonie View Post
Looks like a good product. What do you mean by flashing from the internet?

Modern vehicles (most) will have some sort of anti-theft transponder or encryption to prevent the car from being "hot wired". Remote starters will need a bypass, like the one I mentioned or the dball, or other brands. These modules come blank and they need to be flashed with the vehicle info.
A dealer will have the access and the cable required to program.
Essentially, when you remote start a vehicle, you're trying to undo everything the vehicle antitheft was designed to do; you are hot wiring the vehicle. These modules tell the vehicles's computer everything is ok.
Also, the Jeep doesn't have traditional high voltage wires at the switch so the bypass tells the computer to start the Jeep just like turning the key does now.

If you've never installed a remote starter, I'm not sure this is the project you'll want to start with. Screwing up will be expensive.

My installation was 20 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 10-31-2016, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Penemonie
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWKinFL
Modern vehicles (most) will have some sort of anti-theft transponder or encryption to prevent the car from being "hot wired". Remote starters will need a bypass, like the one I mentioned or the dball, or other brands. These modules come blank and they need to be flashed with the vehicle info. A dealer will have the access and the cable required to program. Essentially, when you remote start a vehicle, you're trying to undo everything the vehicle antitheft was designed to do; you are hot wiring the vehicle. These modules tell the vehicles's computer everything is ok. Also, the Jeep doesn't have traditional high voltage wires at the switch so the bypass tells the computer to start the Jeep just like turning the key does now. If you've never installed a remote starter, I'm not sure this is the project you'll want to start with. Screwing up will be expensive. My installation was 20 mins. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this explanation, I didnt know it's actually doing this. I found some plug&play preprogrammed kits online, do you think something like this I can do it myself https://www.ebay.com/itm/311727000678 ? May I ask what feature does the tharness you mentioned add?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-07-2016, 08:01 PM
btburn
2007 WK 

Garage
I used this: http://www.flashlogic.com/product/pr...product_id/132
Bought pre-programmed off ebay, install took all of 30 minutes. It works flawlessly.

Tags
aftermarket , kit , remote start , remote starter , start-up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in