REC Navigation Radio Blank Screen Repaired - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 04-23-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
durango-bob

2006 WK 

REC Navigation Radio Blank Screen Repaired

This past winter the screen on my REC radio would go blank after a bit of driving and when this happened, the bottom and right side buttons no longer worked. I could change the radio station with the preset buttons and adjust the volume with the steering wheel control, but that was about it. Fast forward to now and the radio display never comes on anymore and I wanted to fix it. I found a replacement radio to swao in for $200 but found that the Navigation system would not load the disk on this one. So I decided to try and make a good radio out of two bad radios and find out what caused the blank screen problem that seems to be rather common.

If you are going to try this, I recommend that you get a good quality small phillips screwdriver since it will be used on every screw that you have to remove.

What I found: The control board for the navigation CD drive was causing the blank screen problem. Swapping this board with another one fixed my radio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-23-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
durango-bob

2006 WK 

Start by removing the three knobs on the front. After you remove the 12 screws around the perimeter of the front face you just need to pry on the corners a bit to pop it off.
Attached Images

post #3 of 35 Old 04-23-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
durango-bob

2006 WK 

Follow along the steps to get to the bad board.
Attached Thumbnails
A1.jpg   B1.jpg   C1.jpg   D1.jpg   E1.jpg  

F1.jpg   G1.jpg   H1.jpg  

post #4 of 35 Old 04-23-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
durango-bob

2006 WK 

Just a few more steps and lots of little screws.
Attached Thumbnails
I1.jpg   J1.jpg   J2.jpg   J3.jpg   K1.jpg  

M1.jpg   N1.jpg   O1.jpg  
post #5 of 35 Old 04-23-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
durango-bob

2006 WK 

I have no idea what is wrong with the nav CD board, but swapping in the board from the other radio solved my problem. To re-assemble, just reverse the steps and avoid the pitfalls that I noted.
Attached Thumbnails
q.jpg   R.jpg  
wookiee, T1m and bensylrm like this.
post #6 of 35 Old 04-23-2017, 06:20 PM
bensylrm
2005 WK 

Awesome job, I hope I never need this... But, bookmarked!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

05 WK 4.7 OME HD F150 MLL's, BFG MT 255/75-17. Lots of stickers, lights EVERYWHERE!
post #7 of 35 Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 AM
DaveGCZJ
2007 WK 

Great write up, and thank you for putting this together! My REC screen is finally going all-blank so will be pulling everything apart very soon to take a look. I'm hoping it's just a problem with the ribbon connector, but if not, I should be armed for the task. Much appreciated

'07 WK HEMI, OME HD w/ 1.5" spacers +Bilstein 5100/5125s +265/70/17s +Superchips +Gobi ladder
post #8 of 35 Old 09-13-2019, 03:55 PM
HelpMyJeep30

Do you happen to know the make and model of that control board. I'm looking to see if it can still be purchased without having spend the big money a new or gently used replacement REC system.
post #9 of 35 Old 01-30-2020, 05:38 AM
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMyJeep30 View Post
Do you happen to know the make and model of that control board. I'm looking to see if it can still be purchased without having spend the big money a new or gently used replacement REC system.
Here's mine from a '07. 5064184AL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5365.jpg  

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | Million Miles Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |

89 GW w/plow
post #10 of 35 Old 02-06-2020, 10:01 AM
ScowHound
2008 WK 

wookiee Did you get a replacement board and where? $$? My radio glitches out regularly. 2008 WK Limited w BA premium sound. I think it's a RER radio? (3/26-edited to RER from the build sheet)

Last edited by ScowHound; 03-26-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: wrong terminology
post #11 of 35 Old 02-11-2020, 07:30 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Nice writeup, great pictures.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #12 of 35 Old 02-27-2020, 12:23 PM
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScowHound View Post
wookiee Did you get a replacement board and where? $$? My radio glitches out regularly. 2008 WK Limited w BA premium sound. I think it's a REC radio?
After talking to the tech at Factory Radio Parts we determined it's the control board. The black one above the dvd reader. - They don't have any.

So, I 'reflowed' it. It works!!!

I followed the directions from http://www.computerrepairtips.net/ho...p-motherboard/ especially the comment from a guy who does it professionally.

I have a 2 hour drive coming up to really test it out.

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | Million Miles Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |

89 GW w/plow
post #13 of 35 Old 03-07-2020, 06:21 PM
guarj17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
After talking to the tech at Factory Radio Parts we determined it's the control board. The black one above the dvd reader. - They don't have any.

So, I 'reflowed' it. It works!!!

I followed the directions from http://www.computerrepairtips.net/ho...p-motherboard/ especially the comment from a guy who does it professionally.

I have a 2 hour drive coming up to really test it out.
OP, great write up on taking it apart, thank you. I can't find any decent cheap replacements for the nav board so going to try the reflow method.

Wookiee, which side did you place up? and what temperature did you use for how long?

05 Grand Cherokee 4.7
post #14 of 35 Old 03-08-2020, 08:18 AM
brent_m
2007 WK 

DO NOT USE YOUR HOUSEHOLD OVEN FOR REFLOWING.

If you wish to reflow properly, you need a reflow oven. You can make one, or find someone who has one. https://www.whizoo.com/ - or you might even be able to get away with just a toaster oven, if you don't care about heat curves and actual temperatures. But that toaster oven should NEVER see food again.

Please do not do this in the same oven humans cook food in.

You would be better off taking a jewelers loupe and looking at the connections to determine if you are dealing with tin whiskers or a broken solder joint somewhere on that board. Then just reflow that with a soldering iron. Likely not tin whiskers if you can reflow at tin/lead temps.
acabtp likes this.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
post #15 of 35 Old 03-08-2020, 11:43 AM
guarj17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_m View Post
DO NOT USE YOUR HOUSEHOLD OVEN FOR REFLOWING.

If you wish to reflow properly, you need a reflow oven. You can make one, or find someone who has one. https://www.whizoo.com/ - or you might even be able to get away with just a toaster oven, if you don't care about heat curves and actual temperatures. But that toaster oven should NEVER see food again.

Please do not do this in the same oven humans cook food in.

You would be better off taking a jewelers loupe and looking at the connections to determine if you are dealing with tin whiskers or a broken solder joint somewhere on that board. Then just reflow that with a soldering iron. Likely not tin whiskers if you can reflow at tin/lead temps.
What's wrong with using household oven?

I just did mine about a hour ago, in my household oven lol. I had this issue but wasn't due to the heat component failure, it just gave up totally so had to have been a faulty solder joint. Preheat oven to 390, put board on foil sheet on baking pan, wrapped all plastic parts, antenna, and bigger components, popped it in with door closed for 10 seconds, shut oven, opened door, and let cool. Put radio back together and it worked like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in