Rear end whine... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2020, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
stangyog

Rear end whine...

At highway speeds hearing a whine from my rear end. Becomes noticeable at around 60, and then gone around 80. 170,000 miles, is this common?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM
Xmind
2007 WK 

If you have the Chrysler 8.25" rear end, then yes, rear end whine is common, especially with those miles. If it never gets louder, then likely the ring and pinion gear mesh causing the whine. If it every starts to get any louder (or otherwise changes) then either your wheel or pinion bearings are going. If the noise doesn't change and you can stand it, then I'd leave it be as I've heard people drop >$1000 on replacing the R&P and noise came back within a short time. I've had a rear end whine for a long time like 40k miles without it changing noticeably. That said, I will probably get a rebuild on the bearings shortly as there was a leaking pinion seal and it appears water got into the diff, so I'd imagine the bearings aren't in the best of condition.

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body
post #3 of 3 Old 01-26-2020, 01:55 PM
Capital AL
2010 WK 

Garage
I have a whine coming from the rear end above 45 MPH when I am not on the gas. As soon As I touch the gas it goes away. I will probably change the diff fluid to see it it makes any difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in