1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ozarkirish87

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-29-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Ozarkirish87
2005 WK 

Rear end clunking sound diagnosis

Hello all,

I have searched a little and haven't found anything that appears to accurately describe what I'm hearing, so I thought I would post here to tap into the collective.

I have a 2005 WK 5.7L Limited with 110k. Purchased it a year ago with 92K on the odometer and have paperwork showing that the dealership replaced the differential bushings prior to resale (sorry if this isn't pertinent, just covering my bases).

I have a clunking noise that is rhythmic and related to vehicle speed while in gear. The faster I go, the faster the clunk. I jacked up the rear end and put it in neutral and spun both rear wheels...nothing. This noise is replicated in forward and reverse. It does not appear to be related to RPMs, as it does not get faster and then slow down once the rig up-shifts. It appears to be directly tied to velocity. I also crawled underneath and did not see any wear marks or anything that might suggest someone tied a zip tie or something around the drive shaft to mess with me.

Before I take it to a mechanic and risk getting ripped off (I'm not the most mechanically inclined), I thought I would get some of your thoughts. I have had friends of mine suggest either the fluid in the differential or in the transfer case, which probably need to be done anyway since I have no idea when those were done last. Anything else I should consider? Anything I can try and troubleshoot on my own?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-29-2016, 04:58 PM
takman
2005 WK 

damaged or missing tooth on the differential gears? take off diff cover and inspect?

make a video of it and post it here....that's what I do when I can't figure something out...
post #3 of 6 Old 10-29-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Ozarkirish87
2005 WK 

Thanks for the advice. I'll just have to take it to a shop then and hope they're honest. I will report back when I do in case any of you have had a similar issue.

It will be a few days before I can take it in, so more responses are definitely welcome!

post #4 of 6 Old 10-31-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Ozarkirish87
2005 WK 

Ok, so I had some friends listen while driving back and forth in the driveway and we isolated the noise to the right rear wheel. We jacked it up and the lugs came off with just a socket and driver. In other words, loose as $%^$. Behind the wheel was a universal spacer that had been affixed using what appears to be thick grease. We put the wheel back on, tightened the lugs to spec and PRESTO...no more noise!

Apparently the wheel was so loose that the spacer was "falling" with each rotation and smacking into the lug stems. That was why it was a sound that was velocity related and didn't manifest itself when spinning in neutral while jacked up (couldn't spin the wheel fast enough to replicate).

Anyway, just thought I would post this update. The wheels haven't been off since I bought it from the dealership less than a year ago, but I'm thankful for the spacers because, without that early warning, most likely scenario would have been the wheel falling off while driving!

Thanks to all who viewed/replied!
JeepWKWJ0006 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-01-2016, 03:34 AM
JeepWKWJ0006
2006 WK 

That's good news!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-05-2016, 01:30 AM
DavidGascon

Could be your parking brake pads? Basically you just have to pull off your rear rotors and if they fall out, that's probably the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in