Rear end clunking - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Rear end clunking

Finally done with all my projects for the most part. Unfortunately I’m getting a clunking/rattling which is noticeable at low speeds over any slightly rough surface as well as at higher speeds over bumps.

Seems to be coming from the passenger side rear but it’s hard to tell for sure. Rear end work included complete removal of everything for painting and undercoating. Everything being all the suspension, driveshafts, exhaust, fuel tank, subframe and wiring/sensors, hitch, bumper etc.

New parts that went on include all 4 control arms, trackbar, Sway links and bushings, ome coils and Bilstein 4600s. The Bilsteins were installed for a few hundred miles prior to the start of this project and were left uncompressed off the Jeep for a month while I did all the work. Not sure if that caused any issues or not. I’ve been underneath now several times, retorqued all nuts/bolts, check brake line routings and exhaust and can’t find anything loose or making noise. Hatch is tight, glass is tight, lights and bumper and hitch are all tight.

Hoping someone else has had this issue and can provide some ideas. It’s driving me crazy and with everything being new I can’t imagine what it could be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 06:32 PM
904block

So I have a 06 Grand Cherokee and I had this weird clunking very time I hit a bump and I had to stop and put the jeep in reverse for it to go away .. long story there was either a emergency brake line hose became undone and would fall down and hit the rear drive line I would check there.. and I wouldn't have never thought to look there until a shop lift the whole jeep and found it is worth looking into
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Smith3973

I have the same clunk as you do. A metallic clunk right? Mine started right after i installed my lift. Been chasing it for 6 months now

post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

What lift did you do? What shocks are you running? Wondering if I should switch the 4600s out for 5100s. Hoping not to spend much more money on this jeep. It’s already way out of control. I can’t live with this though. I’m not sure it’s metallic, more of a steady drumming sort of noise over bumps and at low speed. On smooth roads at speed it’s not doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith3973 View Post
I have the same clunk as you do. A metallic clunk right? Mine started right after i installed my lift. Been chasing it for 6 months now
post #5 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Smith3973

Just the RCX spacer lift with rancho RS9000XL shocks.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 PM
Smith3973

And yes its only at slower speeds. Extremely aggravating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in