Rattle/clicking over bumpy surfaces gone when brakes pressed. What is it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Rattle/clicking over bumpy surfaces gone when brakes pressed. What is it?

Hey everyone.

I tonight Iíd mine the tech-savvy brains here with a technical inquiry. For the record, this forum has been a FANTASTIC source of information. Just in the last month I was able to resolve two issues that could have cost hundreds of dollars on tech fees by searching here.

Back to the issue: Iím getting a subtle rattle/clicking sound from the front left wheel area when driving over uneven surfaces and bumps on the road. The sound stops immediately once I depress the brake pedal. I had asked a tech friend of mine who suggested that it could be the sway bar linkage. Iím a little sceptical because Iím not sure how pressing the brakes would make the sound stop, but then again, Iím not a technician.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks!

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland QDII
3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel
Green Diesel Engineering Eco Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 PM
bobwatford123
2006 WK 

The braking would put at least some pressure on the linkage or bushing and may very well take the 'rattle' out of them temporarily. I'd inspect them and give them a very hard shake/pull to see if there's any movement. Doubt it could be the brakes as they aren't drum brakes where there could be a broken spring moving around in there.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 PM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

Easy way to find out if your friend is right. Unbolt both sway links from the bottom. Swing the bar up and tie or bungee it out of the way. Go for a drive. If the sound goes away, there's your problem. Easy to replace if you can confirm they are the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in