Radio issue help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
buzzard82

Radio issue help

I have a 05 wk that has aftermarket radio and all everything was working then the battery went dead then radio wouldn't come on I took it the radio out then checked wires got the radio working but have no sound out of anything but the subs. I thought the converter box went out so I replaced it didn't fix I bought another one different brand to make sure still didn't work. So I went and got another factory amp and replaced it still no fix I am lost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 08:08 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard82 View Post
I have a 05 wk that has aftermarket radio and all everything was working then the battery went dead then radio wouldn't come on I took it the radio out then checked wires got the radio working but have no sound out of anything but the subs. I thought the converter box went out so I replaced it didn't fix I bought another one different brand to make sure still didn't work. So I went and got another factory amp and replaced it still no fix I am lost.
So the stereo turns on, but audio is only outputted through the sub?

What do you mean by converter box?

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 PM
Mr. Baja

2019 MP Compass 

I bet it is a setting...turned off the head unit main outputs and left the sub on. Check the manual and see if that is an option.

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
buzzard82

The interface box is what I was talking about. And yes only sound is out of the subs. I today took a speaker and wired it straight to the radio bypassing the interface or the jeep and got sound so Im guessing I need to buy a amp bypass kit?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 11:09 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
The interface box is what I was talking about. And yes only sound is out of the subs. I today took a speaker and wired it straight to the radio bypassing the interface or the jeep and got sound so Im guessing I need to buy a amp bypass kit?
Did you have an amp in it before? When everything was working? Have you checked/tested power at every component and every fuse that may be related to your stereo?

Don't just throw parts at it. If something was working but now isn't, check the cheap/easy stuff and then work your way up to replacing parts after ensuring they are bad

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #6 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
buzzard82

yes it had the system in it before I have power at head unit power at the amp in rear not sure where its lost and whats wrong it crazy it all was fine until my son left the head lights on and the battery died
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 07:23 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
yes it had the system in it before I have power at head unit power at the amp in rear not sure where its lost and whats wrong it crazy it all was fine until my son left the head lights on and the battery died
Ok. First thing to check is all of the settings on the head unit. See if something is maybe turned off in regards to speaker output. If everything looks good, go to the next step.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, set it to AC voltage and, with music "playing" at medium volume, test for voltage at any of the door speakers, and work your way back to the head unit. It won't be super high voltage. Probably in the neighbourhood of 5-10 volts AC

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
buzzard82

I don't see it being a setting issue because I can wire a speaker straight to radio and have sound when wired into the interface I loss sound. If one speaker is bad when it cause all of them to stop?
post #9 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 10:49 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
I don't see it being a setting issue because I can wire a speaker straight to radio and have sound when wired into the interface I loss sound. If one speaker is bad when it cause all of them to stop?
You should still check your stereo settings. Depending on the stereo and the vehicle harness you used, there me be a setting for using the factory amplifier. That may output audio differently depending on what the programming is. For example, I upgraded my stereo using a maestro vehicle harness. I was still using the factory amp, and in the settings on the head unit, I had to tell it to run the factory amplifier. On that same note, when I installed new speaker amplifiers and bypassed the factory amplifier, I had to turn off the factory amplifier in the head unit settings in order to output to my new speaker amplifiers. Check the settings, it doesn't hurt anything.

And no, in a factory (ie normal) setup, each speaker is wired independently, so one failed speaker won't affect any other speakers.

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #10 of 10 Old 03-28-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
buzzard82

Ok so I ordered a amp bypass kit and installed it radio worked and everything seemed fine then about 10 mins all stopped again I installed a different radio and still no sound from anything but the subs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in