Quick question about WK 4.7 fuel tank removal... - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RCS1300

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Biginboca

Quick question about WK 4.7 fuel tank removal...

My fuel tank skidplate has mostly disintegrated due to salty Ohio winter roads. As most of you probably know this skid mounts the plastic tank to the chassis, so with most of it now missing there is a potential of the fuel tank falling out... so itís kind of important to replace it lol

I have new skidplate to install today. The directions for the new skidplate say to release the fuel line pressure from the tank by some procedure not included in the directions. Is this really necessary? Canít I just disconnect the fuel line and catch the draining fuel with a rag I have handy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2019, 06:32 AM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I dropped mine to paint the body above it as well as the skid plate itself. While in there I did a new fuel pump. Normally you’d follow some procedure to release the pressure before disconnecting the lines. I did not and it wasn’t an issue. You might want to pick up some fuel line clips though. They’re easy to break while removing.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-25-2019, 06:35 AM
Tatonka01
2009 WK 

I had to replace a mostly rusty skid on my JK this year. If your current skids have sections that are actually rusted through such that you can see parts of the plastic tank like mine did, that might offer an opportunity to drop the skid without dropping the tank. Here is what I did:

For a week before - Spray PB Blaster liberally on the skid bolts wherever I could get to them. A daily application should help.

1. Drive till almost empty.
2. Broke sections of the rusted skid out (by just twisting / breaking stuff by hand!) to make holes a couple inches big
3. Put jack stands directly on the tank in 2 places to keep it up high.
4. Remove skid bolts (impact is best) you might need to buy replacements depending on condition.
5. Use ratchet straps to strap the tank into place on the undercarriage ( do this with the last step in mind - how you place them might impact access when you need to get them back out... or just use cheap ones that you plan to leave in and maybe cut at their edges).
6. Pull the rusty skid & jack stands out.
7. Install the new skid in place.
8. Pull or cut the straps that were holding the tank up.

I did all of that to avoid dropping the tank after reading multiple accounts of guys breaking parts off the tank in the process of lowering it. In the case of the JK there is one delicate piece of plastic that commonly breaks and drives the need to replace the whole tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2019, 07:52 AM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You could depressurize the system up at the fuel rail at the engine right?

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
post #5 of 6 Old 09-25-2019, 08:01 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Do not disconnect the fuel line without dropping the pressure. Easy to do. Pull the fuel pump relay in the electrical box under the hood. Start the vehicle until it stops. Done.
underscore likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

X2^^

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in