• 1 Post By Over-land
  • 1 Post By RevScott
  • 1 Post By LouC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-15-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Xmind
2007 WK 

QuadraDrive II Front Prop Shaft?

Is it me or does there not seem to be front prop shafts that are called out to be used with a QuadraDrive II system? I see a lot of aftermarket (and factory) shafts that call out QuadraDrive I, QuadraTrac I & II, but nothing says it'll work for QuadraDrive II.

I verified that my prop shaft is a "red" tag and the main shaft is about 21" long with an overall from flange to flange of around 30".

I was hoping to buy a new one since I'm going to have the front diff replaced to ensure there isn't any balance issues, but having a hard time to find a replacement that isn't from a junk yard.

RevScott likes this.

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-15-2019, 12:27 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

http://www.4xshaft.com/

I think this is the only place to order a front shaft. I had one made at a local place with ujoints instead of cvs.
Xmind likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-15-2019, 12:49 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

AFAIK there should only be 1 prop shaft for a CRD .

QD1 doesn't exist in a WK ( 99-04 WJ only) and they never made a CRD with Quadra trac I . QDII and QTII prop shafts should be the same as the differential, transmission and Transfer case are the same. Call your local dealer with your VIN and get a part number to cross reference would be the best way to find a new one.

This should be the "red tag" one you're looking for https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/o...wtdjYtZGllc2Vs
Xmind likes this.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

Last edited by yzjwk; 10-15-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added link to mopar online

post #4 of 14 Old 10-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Over-land
2007 WK 

Had the same issue -

Order a OEM one and pay the price... The CRD shaft is different than the rest. I had Tom Wood make me one and it didn't work, too much vibe. Bit the bullet and got the Mopar shaft and all is back to normal.
Xmind likes this.

07 CRD QD2 GDE ECO Tune OEM DPF Delete Russian Silicone hose kit JBA Arms OME lift Rubi wheels
post #5 of 14 Old 10-15-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Xmind
2007 WK 

Alright, so I'm not completely crazy. Trying to find parts in general for a QDII system is a PITA.

Okay, I was willing to drop $200 on a shaft like what Detroit Axle sells (supposedly balanced), but if my only option is the OEM version at $600 I can probably hold off until after I get the front axle assembly rebuilt to see if there actually is a vibration or not.

So next question would be is if there are shops that will attempt to balance your own shaft? Or at least check the balance?

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body
post #6 of 14 Old 10-15-2019, 10:32 PM
RevScott

Are there shops that balance your own shaft? Absolutely! Ask around locally among the custom car nuts to find out who is the best drive shaft shop and take it there, avoid shipping. it will kill ya!
Xmind likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-16-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Xmind
2007 WK 

That's great to know. This is definitely the preferred solution ($ wise). OEM parts + shipping as you state really add up quickly in $ spend!

post #8 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

What is wrong with your original shaft? If its just the CV joint at the t-case end they are not hard to replace. Just mark the position of the shaft vis the flanges on both the diff and the t-case before removing. I replaced the rear CV on the front shaft this summer with the Dorman kit and did not even have to pull the shaft out...just popped out the rear end of it and did it from under the Jeep. You just have to make sure to REALLY pack that CV with grease. And then get both the front and rear tin covers to line up right. Use paint marks on the shaft to mark.
Raffish likes this.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #9 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 05:20 AM
browningv308

What happens if you don't mark the shaft before removing it, then just put it back anyway it will go? Because I did that when mine was vibrating the other day.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 10:52 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningv308 View Post
What happens if you don't mark the shaft before removing it, then just put it back anyway it will go? Because I did that when mine was vibrating the other day.
I'm guessing that alone can cause vibs but the shaft itself is balanced with weights welded onto it at the factory. While I don't know for sure is installing it in a different position can cause vibs, most mechanics will mark them and install them in the same orientation to avoid vibs. On the WK shafts some have a CV on one end and a conventional u joint on the other, some have CVs on both ends like mine. I just put a paint mark on the shaft itself and another on the flange of the t-case since when you replace the CV the whole unit is changed.

Then again you buy a new shaft and you just have to install it as is, no way to match things up. So if there is still a vibe it may not be coming from the shaft. Unless you can see obvious damage, or evidence that a weight fell off...

So far I'm happy with my repair with the Dorman kit. $160 from a local auto parts store and back in business. The OE shaft from Mopar is $774.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #11 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Then again you buy a new shaft and you just have to install it as is, no way to match things up.
That's been my view for years

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #12 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 03:15 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Then again you buy a new shaft and you just have to install it as is, no way to match things up.

I would assume that was how it was done back at the factory as well.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #13 of 14 Old 10-22-2019, 05:33 AM
browningv308

Just wondering how the factory would have tested the driveshaft to see it it was balanced or not? I would imagine they would have just slapped it in place as the car went down the line. The Jeep was probably secured to a jig and was on it's side as it traveled down the line
post #14 of 14 Old 10-25-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Xmind
2007 WK 

All vehicles built go on the rolls machine to perform tests before they leave the factory. I can't speak about Jeep vehicles, but I know another OEM that actually drops an NVH sensor on the roof of the vehicle while on the rolls. Through the recorded signals of the vehicle vibrations, the test can determine if a wheel, axle, driveshaft, transmission, or engine is a bit "off". I.e. everything has a unique frequency due to the different speeds each of these components run and an NVH sensor will pick up a frequency associated with an unbalanced part.

btw, vehicles are almost never on their side during assembly. for something like a drive shaft the vehicle will lift up and/or the operator will be in a pit underneath as the vehicle passes overhead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in