Problems with ABS - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-23-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Problems with ABS

Hey Guys I was reaching out cause I am dealing with an issue I have yet to see. Currently I have my Ebrake, ABS, ESP, and traction control lights on at the same time. About a month ago I replaced most of my front end suspension components including my wheel hubs and ABS sensors. The past few weeks I have developed a loud click/popping upon exceleration from my front end. This is not a noise that is predominant during turns and I have no noticeable vibrations. My thoughts are that its either one of the CV axles up front or my front drive shaft? Is there any indication that a CV axle failure can result in an ABS code? I know a lot of CVs have tonner rings built in. Thanks for the input guys!

If it can't be fixed with Duct tape, it can't be fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Clicking usually ends up being cv’s. As for the lights, do you have any means of checking codes?

Are the lights on as soon as you start it or do they come on after you hit about 10-15 mph? If the former, I suspect abs sensor issue. Make sure they’re plugged in tight.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbrjason View Post
Clicking usually ends up being cvs. As for the lights, do you have any means of checking codes?

Are the lights on as soon as you start it or do they come on after you hit about 10-15 mph? If the former, I suspect abs sensor issue. Make sure theyre plugged in tight.
So unfortunately I do not have a scanner that can read ABS codes. I did notice that the lights cut on right around that 15Mph mark that you stated

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

You can get a $7 dongle and a free app to read codes...

Codes are a great way for someone on the other side of earth to start spitballing and help you fix your ride...

(Suggest getting something that will read TCM and other modules)

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #5 of 11 Old 09-26-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

While I'm looking into the ABS is there any clear way besides the clicking to check CV joints? I looked at the joints and none have clear rips in the boots.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-26-2019, 04:18 PM
powerstroke01

2005 WK 

Get a BT or USB OBD2 dongle and buy this app.
http://jscan.net/

edit: its the best thing since sliced bread!!!!

Jeepers do it in the mud. ;)
post #7 of 11 Old 09-27-2019, 10:24 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag93 View Post
Hey Guys I was reaching out cause I am dealing with an issue I have yet to see. Currently I have my Ebrake, ABS, ESP, and traction control lights on at the same time. About a month ago I replaced most of my front end suspension components including my wheel hubs and ABS sensors. The past few weeks I have developed a loud click/popping upon exceleration from my front end. This is not a noise that is predominant during turns and I have no noticeable vibrations. My thoughts are that its either one of the CV axles up front or my front drive shaft? Is there any indication that a CV axle failure can result in an ABS code? I know a lot of CVs have tonner rings built in. Thanks for the input guys!
CV's themselves usually won't cause those lights to come up unless the CV is bad enough that it took out the hub assembly too. The toner rings on a WK are inside the hub assembly.

You can check for a major failure of the cv by sliding under and checking for movement at either end (it's happened to me when the diff side had almost 1" of movement and I had a clunking at acceleration and de-acceleration) but usually the clicking is caused by the CV just wearing out.

You should have the ABS codes read because that will tell you what wheel signal had failed so you're not guessing. Any corner garage should do that for you .

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #8 of 11 Old 09-27-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into those scanners and my CVs. For now I stop by O'Reilly's who actually has an ABS scanner and got C2200 which points to the antilock break module? Anyone else run into this?

post #9 of 11 Old 09-27-2019, 08:29 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Just had the same thing happen to me (c2200). Not sure what caused it though. I did replace brake fluid about a week before it happened. It’s gone away on its own so far.

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into those scanners and my CVs. For now I stop by O'Reilly's who actually has an ABS scanner and got C2200 which points to the antilock break module? Anyone else run into this?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbrjason View Post
Just had the same thing happen to me (c2200). Not sure what caused it though. I did replace brake fluid about a week before it happened. It’s gone away on its own so far.

Quote:
I appreciate the replys, I wanted to give it some time to see what happened. The lights still show on my Jeep stay on the entire time after I hit 10 mph

post #11 of 11 Old 10-08-2019, 05:33 PM
JustCallLance
2006 WK 

We had a similar issue on our 2006 WK. I would doubt that you would have the same issue, but it's worth a check just to be sure. We had a very small radiator leak above the passenger side wheel. It was small enough that it only leaked when hot/under pressure, and never leaked enough to leave a spot on the driveway, or even smell of anti-freeze. It WAS enough to drip onto and affect the brake rotor. Not only did it intermittently sound like the brakes were grinding, it would take out a new ABS sensor within a few weeks.
Again, it's probably not likely, but you never know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in