power steer hose "sweating" - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-10-2021, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
SKALA308
2010 WK 

power steer hose "sweating"

The high pressure hydraulic hose on the Jeep from the power steer pump that feeds the cooling fan and power steering is "sweating" and seems close to start dripping. This sweating has become more pronounced over the last 4 weeks and I am getting concerned that it may rupture.

Am I being over cautious or is it still safe to use?

Attached Thumbnails
20210510_172702.jpg   20210510_172735.jpg  

2010 WK 5.7 Eagle Head hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-10-2021, 10:01 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Its not going to explode, but something worth getting fixed. You can buy the whole line, or I am sure you could take the line into a hydraulic line shop and they can crimp a new line onto it no problem.
SKALA308 likes this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #3 of 19 Old 05-11-2021, 12:49 PM
HEMI426
2008 WK 

I would check the level of fluid.
SKALA308 likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-11-2021, 12:54 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cheap and easy to replace and you need a fluid change anyway.
Just replace and forget about it.
SKALA308 likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-11-2021, 04:41 PM
MA_Racing27

So for some reason I can't see the pictures but this line is critical. If it ruptures you have no way to draw air over your radiator with out driving(which isn't effective) and you have no steering assist. Make sure to get Mopar HYDRAULIC fluid. Only available at the dealership. Connect it to the fan assembly first, fill it with new fluid, then connect it to the pump. This will minimize the air in the system and if done well you won't need to bleed the system.
SKALA308 likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-12-2021, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
SKALA308
2010 WK 

Cannot get the correct MOPAR hydraulic oil. Am using MB343.0 which is correct.

post #7 of 19 Old 05-12-2021, 05:32 AM
MA_Racing27

Honestly the last time I blew off my rack and pinion supply hose. I refilled it with atf. Worked fine and the system was quieter than ever. I believe the importance is the fluid not burning, not becoming oxidized(sorry can't remember the correct word for too many air bubbles), and the fluid all being the same(I learned that the Mopar hyd fluid doesn't like to mix with some other fluids). If the fluids don't mix it can cause similar effects to cavitation in when it goes through the pump and fan motor.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-12-2021, 05:33 AM
MA_Racing27

Don't pin me to the wall on that one though. Just my own experience mix with a good hypothesis. I can't properly confirm this. But like i said. It worked fine for me until I deleted the system and installed electric fans.
SKALA308 likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-12-2021, 04:37 PM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

There was a label on the power steering pump of my 07 that specifically stated the required Mopar fluid. Just something to look into.

2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
Grand Cherokee Owner since 1994
post #10 of 19 Old 05-12-2021, 11:00 PM
HEMI426
2008 WK 

I sent an email two weeks ago to FCA asking them about the fluid and what should I use; the specific Mopar fluid or the ATF? But unfortunately they didn’t reply. Although the local dealer is saying ATF, but I want to get an official answer from FCA.

my friend had similar case, and his dealer told him to use ATF because its covered all the needed specifications of the old mopar fluid. But again, I need an official answer.

Hope you guys keep sending/contacting FCA until they get back to us.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-13-2021, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
SKALA308
2010 WK 

I stand under correction, but the specs for ATF and the clear hydraulic oil is not close to being the same. Older posts mention specifically that the ATF caused seals to leak and perish. Just feel the consistency of ATF compared to hydraulic oil and judge for yourself.

I will use the Mercedes MB343.0, since it is same as the original MOPAR clear product.

post #12 of 19 Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 AM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

WOW a lot of concern over fluid....
Not knowing squat I just buy the clear power steering fluid and run it.
Been doing that for many years and never a problem... that I know of.

Is this really an issue you guys have had with pumps and sectors?

This is an honest question as I just buy a quart or 2 of the walmart stuff.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-13-2021, 10:57 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo View Post
WOW a lot of concern over fluid....
Not knowing squat I just buy the clear power steering fluid and run it.
Been doing that for many years and never a problem... that I know of.

Is this really an issue you guys have had with pumps and sectors?

This is an honest question as I just buy a quart or 2 of the walmart stuff.
To me, the biggest concern is those with the hydraulic fan. It is a VERY expensive component that is not even available anymore without grabbing one from a junkyard. I would agree, that a thorough flush of the P/S system and running a hydraulic p/s fluid shouldn't be a problem. Its one of those things, that many things may work for the life of the vehicle... but if it doesn't, your 5 dollar bottle of P/S fluid just cost you a few hundred and some labor to replace the fan... and you still have to find a fluid that wont kill it. Easier to find a fluid that has been tested and verified to meant the ms-10838 spec.
Wyo likes this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #14 of 19 Old 05-13-2021, 01:42 PM
MA_Racing27

I want to be clear that I am not using and ATF +4. I am using a full synthetic MVATF(multi viscosity ATF). It's a DEX VI MERC LV that can be used in GM and Allison transmissions. It is different from ATF +4 and you can feel the difference when you compare the two and do the good ol rubbing fingers together to test lubricity 😁 the MV ATF is also thinner. When I poor a small puddle on my transmission table the MV ATF makes a much larger puddle(because it spreads out) than the ATF +4. The ATF +4 also has different lubrication properties that can be simply felt(just without getting to sciency) between your fingers. There is no risk to the pump or the rack and pinion. These pumps are Toyota pumps and the racks are used in other vehicles as well. The danger comes to the hyd motor for the fan and rather or not your ps cooler will keep it from burning. If you don't feel comfortable changing to a different fluid then don't. It is your money and your Jeep. I am not running a hydraulic fan anymore but I did run this fluid for several months with the fan because I knew I was deleting it soon. About 3 years ago I noticed I had some small ps leaks starting so I used Lucus PS conditioner/stop leak. Not knowing any better at the time. I notice the Lucus was not really drawing into the system and a few times I saw on the dip stick in the res that the Mopar Hyd fluid and the Lucus were NOT mixing. I sucked out the Lucus and replaced with Mopar fluid after reading the sticker on the res. After the second time breaking a c clip on the fan motor that supplies the rack and pinion playing in the snow. I refilled with MV ATF because that go around I blew out ALL of the Mopar fluid even what was in the rack. I am considering changing to AC Delco Auto-Tec II transfere case fluid because this is what PSC recommends in all of their systems. Since I have no HEC. I can't see the harm. At the end of the day this is an online forum and everything is based off of our own personal accountability and personal experience and hopefully accurate research. I am sure the system has its advantages but for my plans it is not worth it. I was tired of dealing with the system anyways. With that all said. I do have used components for the HEC that I am willing to part with for almost nothing. Just looking to have them out of my way when I completely finish the conversion. I have some wrinkles to iron out still.
SKALA308 likes this.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-20-2021, 10:14 AM
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Mine have been doing this for years, with the real fluid , with some generic fluid and haven’t tried ATF. Just waiting for it to blow, over the winter my pump went out in hard use when stuck in the snow before the lines did

"Racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." -- Peter Egan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in