Possible ignition switch problems and wondering if the recall would resolve it - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
zup28w
2005 WK 

Possible ignition switch problems and wondering if the recall would resolve it

Hi all,

I have a 2005 WK. Within the last week, I've had 5 instances where all the lights on my dash light up (with the exception of the check engine light) for a few seconds and then turn back off. From what I've seen on the forum, sounds like a failing ignition switch. I've also received the letter in the mail that my Jeep falls under the ignition switch recall. Anyone else been in the same boat? I'm wondering if if the recall fix would result in them replacing the ignition switch which would solve my problem.

Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 AM
tom19511
2014 WK 

My guess is yes. It will fix the problem.. Mine was doing this a few years ago. I replaced the switch and the problem went away.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-19-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
zup28w
2005 WK 

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I gave Chrysler a call and positioned my question such as "I have a problem with my current ignition switch. If I go and have it replaced by the dealer, I'll be paying for a ignition switch which is still problematic. It will still need to be replaced by the dealership. I'd hate to spend the money only to have it replaced a short time later." The rep told me that it would qualify for a reimbursement. He said once the new part comes in, I can submit copies of my invoice and be reimbursed within 60 days. He said he believes there's info in the original recall notice about this. I need to double-check when I get home. If that's the case, I'll have the dealership fix it and then get it replaced with the recall.

Greg

post #4 of 11 Old 11-19-2014, 11:15 AM
tom19511
2014 WK 

You can get it replaced now, and get reimbursed later. But is the replacement the same part as the recall replacement? I thought the new one is supposed to eliminate the knee bump problem?

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-19-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
zup28w
2005 WK 

Yeah, it's the same "bad" part. Once the new part version is available, I'll have to go back to the dealership for them to swap out the one I just bought. It's a little inconvenient to go twice, but it scares the crap out of me when all my lights go on. Fortunately it's been just the lights and no loss of power.

Greg
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
zup28w
2005 WK 

Brought Jeep to dealership. They see error codes that show a disconnect, but physical inspection of the ignition switch seems ok. Basically saying they can't confirm that replacing the ignition switch will fix the problem and that it could be anything within the electrical system. They were leaning towards not fixing it and just waiting for the recall part to be available. I did call up Chrysler again today, explained the dealers position, and was told that if the ignition switch is replaced, it "should" be covered for reimbursement. I asked the rep if she could note our entire conversation in my file.

The lights turning on and off scare the heck out of me, but could it lead to bigger safety related issues if I wait? My only concern has been the gray-area response from Jeep and Chrysler on getting reimbursed.

Greg
post #7 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

I would suggest just fixing the ignition switch yourself then. I replaced mine myself before this recall came out. The part was about $50, took me about 1/2 hour to fix. Yes Chrysler does not have a new ignition switch fix yet, but when I replaced mine in 2012, that part had already been revised and seeing that you have a 2005, I believe this will fix your issues. Then when Chrysler has parts available get it replaced if you wish.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 AM
BrooklynWK
2005 WK 

I used to get this problem myself in my 05 WK. It's not an ignition switch problem or is it? Ironically I have not had this in a very very long time. Since I replaced my battery its been good. See the WK is a very very odd electrical system where even something completely unrelated to a problem will cause something to act weird.

How old is your battery?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
zup28w
2005 WK 

Battery is a few years old (2-3).

@dieseljob07 - thought about it, but was a little hesitant. I always have the fear that I'll screw it up. At least I have this week off. Usually by the time I get home from work it's already dark and weekends don't allow for much time.

It hasn't done it for about a week so maybe I'll just see how it goes.

Greg
post #10 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 02:52 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

The recall and the ignition switch problem that causes all the warning lights to go on and the gauges to reset are 2 different things. The ignition switch recall will result in the key section being replaced, or the detent inside being replaced, the other problem is often caused by the electrical part of the switch that connects to the key section (recall). So its 2 different things. When the parts for the recall come in, you can ask them to replace the electrical part of the switch as well since this part has been revised. But they will probably charge for the part (about 48 bucks if I recall)....

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #11 of 11 Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
zup28w
2005 WK 

Hi LouC,

Thanks for this good bit of info. Guess it makes more sense to try to fix it myself for now.

Greg

Tags
dash lights , ignition switch , recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in