Pop/steering issue? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Pop/steering issue?

Seems there is always something going on with my wk. it’s an 08 4.7.

Occasionally I’m noticing a minor pop sound (passenger side) when making low speed tight turns in forward or reverse. Usually only when pulling in/out of a parking space. It doesn’t do it every time or even that often. It also seems to bind a bit on very tight low speed turns. I’m not sure if the minor binding is normal at near full lock.

Yesterday, I was making a normal left turn at speed from one road to another. After completing the turn, I was going straight, but the steering wheel was still turned about 20-30 degrees to the left. I straightened the steering wheel and heard the same pop sound, but the Jeep didn’t turn to the right after centering the wheel, just kept going straight. Continued driving home carefully but didn’t notice any other issues with the steering. Took it out again that night with no issues.

Everything is pretty much new in the last 6 months or so. New upper/lower control arms. New shocks/struts/springs/isolators. New wheel bearings/axle shaft (passenger only axle shaft). New inner/outer tie rods. New sway links and bushings. New front diff mounts. All fluids replaced. New pads/rotors. All related bolts are new, everything seems tight. Rechecked torque on everything, and it was aligned after all that work.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas on what to look for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 09:39 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

Ya I get the same and have same new parts.

I'm running OME on 265/70/17..

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #3 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I’ve got OME md coils on Bilstein 4600 struts/shocks, 245/65/17.

The minor pop was a bit concerning, but the steering wheel not centering while going straight, then popping when straightening, seems a bit more alarming.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

I bet, and I have not experienced that, just the random single pop, but I have felt it kinda 'stay popped' and then wiggle back into place with a little wheel shake or something..

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #5 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Dre

2006 WK 

Glad I checked here first - same thing started happening to mine just yesterday - looked down there today while my wife was turning the steering wheel and noticed the pop every time while steering was coming out of full turn to the right. Could be steering gear perhaps? I am also running lifted Bilstein struts and 265's but don't thing that this would have anything to do with it. New struts were just installed, upper control arms are JBA and been there a while... Gonna be looking at front suspension/steering real soon I guess and will check back in.

06 WK
01 XJ - former
50 CJ-3A - project
98 XJ - former
89 XJ - former
post #6 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 07:52 AM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I chased the same issue for a while on mine. Turned out i hadnt torqued the LCA bolts. The frustrating part was I knew they were hard to torque on the garage floor so took it to a shop to have things double checked and they never said they were a problem

Bottom line. 125ft lbs.
And check everything else. Suspension parts should all be hit with a torque wrench to the specs in the book. Its a pain but it prevents all these noises.

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
post #7 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I’m hoping you’re right about this. I did torque everything to the specs in the attached pictures after installing everything, then had it aligned at the dealer, then rechecked torque on everything, and greased all the fittings a second time. I’ll do that all again though tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptorino68 View Post
I chased the same issue for a while on mine. Turned out i hadnt torqued the LCA bolts. The frustrating part was I knew they were hard to torque on the garage floor so took it to a shop to have things double checked and they never said they were a problem

Bottom line. 125ft lbs.
And check everything else. Suspension parts should all be hit with a torque wrench to the specs in the book. Its a pain but it prevents all these noises.
Attached Thumbnails
CA57DC5D-C73B-48C6-B1E3-0AB601341DA6_1575774051201.jpeg   EF7AF0C0-A716-4924-BA90-3D286BEB5D6A_1575774063144.jpeg  
post #8 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
can't help you with your specific issue this time... but for future peace of mind, consider using a torque stripe like https://www.amazon.com/DYKEM-Cross-C.../dp/B01HC3QIGM. a paint marker will get the job done too but doesn't last nearly as long.

i do that on all the suspension components after i have torqued them down. know at a glance that you have gotten everything... and bonus you know when the alignment tech did or did not do the full job. several times i've caught them lying about "getting it as close as they could" when they actually only bothered to do the toe and didn't touch any of the LCA bolts. freakin firestone, lifetime of sh***y alignments...

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #9 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Thanks. Great idea. I believe my dealer alignment wasn’t the best. Someone here (I think caulk04) chimed in and said I got a lazy alignment tech.
Attached Thumbnails
BC8BD024-6DCC-48F2-B8E9-FFC25995070A_1575811832955.jpg  
post #10 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Dre

2006 WK 

Well, got underneath the truck once again and noticed that one of the links on the sway bar has separated. Shop that was doing the front end on my Jeep did attach one of the links on the wrong side of the sway bar and after a while it just came apart. After separation sway bar was not doing it's job and with bigger tires, aggressive Dura Tracks mind you, it put strain on the entire system. I did put everything back together and it all now works as it should.

06 WK
01 XJ - former
50 CJ-3A - project
98 XJ - former
89 XJ - former
post #11 of 16 Old 12-14-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

In my case it seems to have been the front bolt on the passenger side lower control arm. There was some evidence of it sliding side to side. I wasn’t able to get it to budge with my torque wrench, so I used a 2’ breaker bar and got about 180 degrees of tightening accomplished. I’m not sure if I didn’t get it tight enough after install, or the dealer that did the alignment didn’t get it tight enough. Seems to be okay now after a couple hundred miles.

While I was down there I noticed the lower caliper slide bolt was missing too. I had a tough time finding a 20mm m8-1.00 bolt locally. Most were m8-1.25. I did eventually find a 4 pack though and reinstalled with a bit of thread lock.

Hopefully all is well now. I’m sick of working on this thing in the cold.
jeeptorino68 likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-17-2019, 10:00 PM
clemsonscj

Mine has done this ever since I installed my OME lift. It only ever does it when I'm backing out of a parking spot at full lock. So most likely it's the lower control arm bolt?

'09 GC Overland 5.7L QDII; OME HD Lift; 265/70R17 Ridge Grapplers; SC Flashpaq
Black WK Club #134
post #13 of 16 Old 12-17-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I’m thinking yes. Get under there and look at the (bolt side) of the large front bolt on both sides. Mine had fairly obvious scrape marks on the subframe indicating the bolt was sliding with enough pressure, (mostly at full lock). The nut is a 24mm and it a bit difficult to secure a wrench on. The bolt side is a 21mm. You might need to turn the bolt a bit without the wrench to line it up so the wrench will side onto the nut. They don’t give you much room inside the subframe on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
Mine has done this ever since I installed my OME lift. It only ever does it when I'm backing out of a parking spot at full lock. So most likely it's the lower control arm bolt?
post #14 of 16 Old 12-18-2019, 10:13 AM
clemsonscj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbrjason View Post
Iím thinking yes. Get under there and look at the (bolt side) of the large front bolt on both sides. Mine had fairly obvious scrape marks on the subframe indicating the bolt was sliding with enough pressure, (mostly at full lock). The nut is a 24mm and it a bit difficult to secure a wrench on. The bolt side is a 21mm. You might need to turn the bolt a bit without the wrench to line it up so the wrench will side onto the nut. They donít give you much room inside the subframe on that one.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Black WK Club #134
post #15 of 16 Old 12-28-2019, 11:54 PM
clemsonscj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbrjason View Post
Iím thinking yes. Get under there and look at the (bolt side) of the large front bolt on both sides. Mine had fairly obvious scrape marks on the subframe indicating the bolt was sliding with enough pressure, (mostly at full lock). The nut is a 24mm and it a bit difficult to secure a wrench on. The bolt side is a 21mm. You might need to turn the bolt a bit without the wrench to line it up so the wrench will side onto the nut. They donít give you much room inside the subframe on that one.
So I finally got in there today and figured out it was the passenger side LCA bolt. I attached a picture of what mine looks like now. If I pull the wheel of and loosen it up, will it align back center so that the bolt hole isn't showing around the bolt like that? I can fix it easy if that's the case.

Black WK Club #134

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in