• 1 Post By underscore
  • 3 Post By Kolak
  • 3 Post By Raffish

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Penemonie
2006 WK 

Poor ride quality & maximum suspension travel

06 WK with 130k+ miles. I feel every bit of unsmoothness of the road but at the same time, when I drive fast enough into a ramp, the front wheels travel fully and bang against the car. It feels as if the suspension is too stiff but also too soft at the same time. I need to change the tires but anything else I should consider replacing such as shocks and bushings to make the car more "tight"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2019, 01:00 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

The front struts and springs are probably shot. Ideally you want to replace everything in the front strut assembly at once. What`s your current hub to fender lip measurement?
gspfunk likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2019, 01:07 AM
Kolak
Vendor

It sounds to me like the struts and shocks are in need of replacement. This would be a great opportunity to upgrade to a set of Bilsteins for improved handling and ride quality/control vs factory struts & shocks.

The Bilsteins are available with front struts that can be adjusted to level out the Jeep. Are you interested in doing that?
Raffish, gspfunk and IMMORTEN like this.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2019, 09:44 AM
Raffish
2005 WK 

X2^^

Struts and shocks are dead.

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2019, 10:29 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

agreed...fronts are coil over shocks rears are regular shocks. You can go with Bilstein 5100s if you want it leveled to get rid of the factory rake or 4600s if you want to keep the rake. It will ride 100% better with them. I installed the 5100s a few years back and it was a huge improvement...

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

or go full OME (from Kolak) and stuff some bigger tires in there..
Kolak, ggrassmid and JeepN_A_CJ7 like this.

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Penemonie
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The front struts and springs are probably shot. Ideally you want to replace everything in the front strut assembly at once. What`s your current hub to fender lip measurement?
Just measured it to be 18.1in (46cm). Any simple testings to see struts are indeed bad?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-31-2019, 03:28 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The factory struts and shocks had rather poor dampening even when new up until model year 2008, when they revalved things. Way back when, before there were Bilsteins, etc. we used to install XK Commander shocks on the WK Grand Cherokee because they had better dampening qualities.

You've got 130k miles on your Jeep and the symptoms you described in your very first post indicate to me that your struts and shocks have seen better days. I promise you a set of Bilsteins will make a large improvement.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #9 of 9 Old 08-31-2019, 06:23 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penemonie View Post
Just measured it to be 18.1in (46cm). Any simple testings to see struts are indeed bad?

Usually you can look for fluid, but since your springs have sagged nearly an inch from stock the likelihood that anything in the assembly is worth reusing is slim. Especially when you factor in the hassle of disassembly, you don't want to replace the springs and then have to do it all again to replace the struts right after.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ

Tags
maintenance , rattle , ride quality , shocks , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in