Please help me with heater problem.. - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
LaughMaster

Please help me with heater problem..

Hey there, I've been chasing this problem for almost a month. My 2006 wk Laredo was blowing cold air at my feet all the time. So I changed the coolant to find out I don't think it's ever been changed.. It was pretty much black and just nasty. So changed that out, changed the thermostat and just last weekend I did an entire flush with blue devil rad flush and new coolant, even flushed system with hose before adding spring water and antifreeze then tested it. At first I was getting super hot heat and floor worked but the last few days it's only worked correctly once... And temps are ranging from 35-50 in Northern Michigan right now. Not sure what wise it could be, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, when it doesn't I still get hot heat from vents but for remains cold even when only on floor, also noticed when park I sometimes smell coolant but not from vents, and yesterday I kept the heat off till I got home then flipped it on and it started hot on the floor then went cold... Sorry for the long post but I kinda have a lot going on here ha ha, thank you for anyone who takes the time to help me with this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I suggest you find a competent technician to assist with you maintenance needs.

"...blowing cold air at my feet all the time. So I changed the coolant...."
LaughMaster likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 09:41 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Did you bleed the cooling system? If not, regardless of the engine you have, your going to have some major air trapped in your cooling system.

The blend doors on the HVAC box may not be working. Turn the temperature from hot to cold with the ignition on (engine off) and listen for an electric actuator in the dash to cycle. If you don't hear anything, there may be a problem there... You may also hear the actuator running but the door may be broken.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...

post #4 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughMaster View Post
Hey there, I've been chasing this problem for almost a month. My 2006 wk Laredo was blowing cold air at my feet all the time. So I changed the coolant to find out I don't think it's ever been changed.. It was pretty much black and just nasty. So changed that out, changed the thermostat and just last weekend I did an entire flush with blue devil rad flush and new coolant, even flushed system with hose before adding spring water and antifreeze then tested it. At first I was getting super hot heat and floor worked but the last few days it's only worked correctly once... And temps are ranging from 35-50 in Northern Michigan right now. Not sure what wise it could be, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, when it doesn't I still get hot heat from vents but for remains cold even when only on floor, also noticed when park I sometimes smell coolant but not from vents, and yesterday I kept the heat off till I got home then flipped it on and it started hot on the floor then went cold... Sorry for the long post but I kinda have a lot going on here ha ha, thank you for anyone who takes the time to help me with this

1. Recommend you fill out your profile so we at least know what engine we are talking about.

2. Alternate hold/cold could be due to 3 causes: a)clogged heater core ; b) blend door issue ; c) air trapped in cooling system. You did not address whether or not you bled off the cooling system upon refilling or whether you performed a pressure test (including radiator cap).

3. Can we assume that the new coolant is HOAT (not just HOAT-compatible)? I ask because it has been reported that mixing types can create agglomeration problems.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #5 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
LaughMaster

I don't know what you mean by bleeding, I squeezed the house and tried to release as much air as possible, my return line on the top of the radiator is stiff as can be, so I don't know. But I do know that both actuators are working, I can hear and feel both when I stick my hand behind them

post #6 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
LaughMaster

I'm so sorry that's my bad... 4.7l with 170k replaced with prestone all makes antifreeze concentrate and mixed according with driving to mix it up and finished with antifreeze tester testing perfect

post #7 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by bleeding....
"Burping" or system air removal. I generally point the Jeep slightly uphill (like a driveway apron) and start the engine cold with the radiator cap off and the expansion tank level high (w/o losing coolant).
Eventually, the thermostat will open and any trapped air can be swept out and toward the high point (hopefully the radiator filler neck). Fill radiator again, replace the radiator cap, and replenish the expansion tank level.

Check the expansion tank for next 2 engine warmup/cooldown cycles and keep it at the proper level.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #8 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
LaughMaster

Thanks Walt! I'll try the uphill no cap trick today to make sure it's burped

2006 WK 4.7l 170k k&n, e3plugs, level kit, 255s
post #9 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 03:29 PM
T1m

2006 WK 

Quote:
...before adding spring water and antifreeze...
Spring water?
post #10 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 03:37 PM
BadExample

2006 WK 

Quote:
I'm so sorry that's my bad... 4.7l with 170k replaced with prestone all makes antifreeze concentrate and mixed according with driving to mix it up and finished with antifreeze tester testing perfect

I think that's the not real HOAT @Walt was referring to. Probably needs to be flushed out and replaced. Probably not an emergency. I think orange is bad too, but not sure. Mine came with orange and plan to flush that out soon.

CJ5 we don't talk about, 58 Willys CJ-3B gone
79 J-10 gone, 99 GC WJ murdered and gone
2006 GC WK
post #11 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
LaughMaster

Yes Distilled water from the store, and mine is green color right now, what is hoat? Is it needed for these Jeeps?

post #12 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
...I'll try the uphill no cap trick today to make sure it's burped...
Let us know how it works (for the forum knowledge base).

post #13 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
LaughMaster

I will! Dang it, it's 50 degrees here and my heat is working fine today, burning hot on the floor. Super confusing...

post #14 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1m View Post
Spring water?
If you want to be anal about it, use distilled water. Otherwise treated city water should be fine (filtered and softened).

Since the 1970's, Chrysler products have been somewhat "fussy" about their cooling systems due to the block casting materials and dissimilar metals. The 383 cu. in. V-8 was a pain. Better anti-freeze formulations (like HOAT) have ameliorated this problem.

post #15 of 36 Old 04-19-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
LaughMaster

That sounds unfortunate for Chrysler vehicles! But I bought this, will this be alright? And I used Meijer spring water.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...af2000/2496964

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in