Pioneer Avic-D3 Install - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyBighead

Pioneer Avic-D3 Install

Okay i finally worked up the nerve to install my pioneer avic-d3. i have never installed a car stereo, let alone a nav unit and i was nervous but it worked out okay.

i took a few pictures along the way so check it out.

Step one- Take off the dash. I had the stock radio so i had to get the other bezel so you will see the switch later. There are 16 bolts to remove so have fun!

Step two- Remove stock stereo by removing four bolts and then the two clips and antanea cable.

Step 3- Connect your wiring harness to the stock harness and the back of the new unit. Also you need to hook up your antanae adapter. It get a little crowded in there so watch out! Also, i hooked up my ipod wire and routed it to the glovebox.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyBighead

Step 4- Test to see of the thing will work and lookie what happend!

Step 5- Button everything up and enjoy your new navigation!

Let me know if anybody has any questions. I have gotten everything to work so far including i-pod audio and video, divx movies off a cd-r, navigation, etc.

I do have one question, where should i mount my sirius module and antanea? i am going to install that later but i could find a good place. any ideas on where the stock stuff was mounted?

I hope this helps somebody out there!!
post #3 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 12:55 AM
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

wow, very clean installation, and you did one heck of a good job for a beginner. I guess this would fit the WK too ?

post #4 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
JohnnyBighead

hey thanks for the support! I am beginner at car stereo stuff, but i have a bit of experience when it comes to other electronics stuff (interior leds, cold cathodes, etc.) from my car (the commander is the wifes). It really wasnt that bad of an install once i stopped being intimidated.

I think it would work on a wk seeing that it was listed right along with the commander on all the stuff (install kit, wiring harness, etc.).

Any ideas on where to stick that sirius module?
post #5 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Bishop609

Nice post man...
post #6 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
JohnnyBighead

thanks for the support! Anybody have any ideas as to where to put my sirius module? its a pretty tight fit where the stero goes so i dont think it will work in there. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
post #7 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

That really looks great! I think this is the route I am going to take with my next WK. As for the module, is there any room above the glove box? It looks like there should be some space up inside the dash. You could also probably stick it under the console. There is tons of dead space all over the place in there. Good luck

[SIZE="1"]2008 WK Overland HEMI - Modern Blue Pearlcoat
Fully loaded with slush mats of course.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyBighead

yeah i think thats the route im going to try, i just need to figure out how to get in there. Anybody know of any good write ups on how to take the whole dash or just the glovebox off?
post #9 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 09:34 PM
varun

question, do your steering wheel audio controls fully work? Expecially track skip and volume? They are behind the wheel on the commander right? This should work for a WK grand cherokee right? Cheers man! Good job!
post #10 of 19 Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
JohnnyBighead

they dont work as of now but you can add a module to get those working again and ive heard that it brings full use back. Crutchfield sells it but you may be able to get it cheaper somewhere else. im pretty sure it will work for the wk.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 PM
wally_joyner

Can you please let me know which brand and model of wiring harness you used? I have a 2006 GC Limited with the same stereo that you do and am getting a Pioneer Z-1 installed this weekend. The installer asked whether I had an amplifier (which I don't think comes with this stereo, but I'm not sure), as apparently this affects which wiring harness is needed.

BTW, I'm getting XM, Sirius, etc installed as well, so I'll let you know where the installer puts all that.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyBighead

thats a great question...one of the biggest ones i had to research. What he is asking is if you have factory premium sound or not. if you do and want to keep using the amp that comes with it you need a certain harness and if you want to use the amp from the pioneer you use a different one. so its not really the stereo but its the speaker system. if you have the premium sound you will need the metra chto-01 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FPMHN48...sp?i=120CHTO01 you can find that cheaper but thats the first one a search pulled up. if you dont have premium i dont know what you need but the installer should know. Good luck!
post #13 of 19 Old 08-17-2007, 05:48 AM
ukliberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

Cool, I hate the nav system on the wifes Overland and seeing this has made me seriously think about taking it out and replacing it with something a whole lot better looking - thanks for the great post.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-17-2007, 06:10 AM
CurtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_joyner
Can you please let me know which brand and model of wiring harness you used?

From the looks of the Scotchloks and crimp caps, it doesn't look like he used a wiring harness. You can see the Metra CHTO-01 adapter in the picture which allows connecting an aftermarket HU to the OEM BA amp.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
JohnnyBighead

with the adapter there is a wiring harness but then you must crimp about 4 or 5 wires, not that bad. And the scotchloks are for the bypass to allow navigation change/viewing of video while driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in