Pinging diesel - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-24-2021, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
downunderdave

Pinging diesel

Hi folks,

Just collected my 96,000 miles GC from my mechanic. It has had German remanufactured injectors fitted. These coming from a very large company that bench test and provide a report for each injector. The engine runs fine, except under load at low revs it has a pinging sound. I do not think the injectors are leaking, as there is no smoke coming out the exhaust. Once it starts to accelerate it is happy. Just mainly the initial take off from still, is when I hear the ping. Not lead footing it, just a normal take off. No problem codes are showing. My mechanic and I are stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks, Dave.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-31-2021, 02:42 AM
zeda3000
2006 WK 

Hi i just have small guess , you new Injectors idle adjustment, may not match with fuel pump. In Diesel enginne , best is always stick with OEM injectors only.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-31-2021, 08:03 PM
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Hi Dave,
I can't speak from personal experience, but have read quite a few warnings regarding rebuilt injectors. The key concern is whether the rebuilder matches the original injector spec, as encoded on the injector itself, when rebuilding??? The OE encoding is specific to each injector. Most rebuilders don't. They pick a baseline within the spec range, and rebuild to that (new) baseline. The result is an injector with a different spec vs original. When installing the new spec injector is coded to the ECU with the old specs from the bar code leading to running issues. Most rebuilders apparently do not recode the cores with the new specs individual to each injector leading to a mismatch between what the ECU believes it has vs actual. At least that's my understanding, if someone can confirm or clarify would be great.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-01-2021, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
downunderdave

Thanks kindly for the replies.

My mechanic had assumed the ECU would automatically rebalance the new injectors, they each came with a bench test report, which my mechanic said was fine. He yesterday checked the output of each injector with the scanner, showed all were very equal, figure of the output being in RPM. He then decided to select new ECU on the OBD scanner, this seems to have fixed the problem. First driving off there was pinging, but the more we drove the quieter the pinging became. After 5 minutes it was perfect. Great Mercedes technology, rebalancing the new injectors.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2021, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
downunderdave

I reported in my last post that all had become good by doing a ECU reset.
The Jeep was then not used for about 4 days. On starting it up again, it was sluggish, in fact quickly established the engine would not rev beyong 2,000 ROMPM, even with my foot flat to the floor. No engine light, but I quickly turned back and parked it. Now waiting for my mechanic to visit again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in