Persistent P0430 Code - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Walt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
LindseyD
2007 WK 

Persistent P0430 Code

It's a never ending list of issues with this stupid Jeep!
When we bought it there was a P0138 code that wouldn't go away, so I replaced the Bank 1 number 2 oxygen sensor. Besides the fact that it was rusted solid and in the most RIDICULOUS spot, not a big deal. Now the Jeep keeps giving me code P0430. And I just KNOW if I put a new cat on that it's going to throw something else at me. Ideas?

2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi Automatic
1992 Wrangler YJ 2.5L Manual Soft Top Half Doors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 09:09 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

The vehicle is over 12 years old but it should not require a new CAT until at least 150,000 miles unless...

That is the key question. A pre-mature CAT failure is typically the result of poor maintenance - bad spark plugs, bad coils, leaking intake gaskets, etc. Many of these items cause a check engine light that blinks. If the vehicle was driven in this condition for more than a few hours the CAT became toast. Before you replace your CAT, make sure everything else that contributes to the combustion process is in proper working order and up to date in maintenance.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 10:15 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

relax -following up on RCS1300's post this is an old vehicle (13yrs) purchased used, time has its toll on components,

OK you had an o2 sensor code and resolved that, now there is a p0430 issue,

Any other codes ?

I agree you may have other issues if you just go and replace CAT, DIAGNOSE before spending. Looking at data with a scanner will lead to correcting any conditions that may have hastened cat failure.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 02:07 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyD View Post
It's a never ending list of issues with this stupid Jeep!
When we bought it there was a P0138 code that wouldn't go away, so I replaced the Bank 1 number 2 oxygen sensor. Besides the fact that it was rusted solid and in the most RIDICULOUS spot, not a big deal. Now the Jeep keeps giving me code P0430. And I just KNOW if I put a new cat on that it's going to throw something else at me. Ideas?
You have a 5.7L HEMI. They typically get broken exhaust manifold studs at the rear of the engine. Small air leaks cause DTC's to be either pending (no MIL) or set (MIL illuminated).

Check yours on the RHS rear for leaks before dumping out any more money. Examine the manifold-to-head joint and the manifold-to-Y-Pipe joint.

When mine leak, it is normally on the RHS and I get DTC's P0153 (O2 sensor 2/1 slow response) and/or P0430 (catalytic converter bank 2 low efficiency).
LindseyD likes this.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 02:21 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
You have a 5.7L HEMI. They typically get broken exhaust manifold studs at the rear of the engine. Small air leaks cause DTC's to be either pending (no MIL) or set (MIL illuminated).

Check yours on the RHS rear for leaks before dumping out any more money. Examine the manifold-to-head joint and the manifold-to-Y-Pipe joint.

When mine leak, it is normally on the RHS and I get DTC's P0153 (O2 sensor 2/1 slow response) and/or P0430 (catalytic converter bank 2 low efficiency).
That, or something else, may have caused the catalytic converter failure - with the un-metered air leak the O2 sensors would have compensated by adding more fuel to the mixture. Not sure that will change the need for a new Catalytic Converter. I believe the P0430 demonstrates a consistency in the wave signals emitted by both the upstream and downstream sensors meaning that one or both CATS are not working presently.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-01-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
LindseyD
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
The vehicle is over 12 years old but it should not require a new CAT until at least 150,000 miles unless...

That is the key question. A pre-mature CAT failure is typically the result of poor maintenance - bad spark plugs, bad coils, leaking intake gaskets, etc. Many of these items cause a check engine light that blinks. If the vehicle was driven in this condition for more than a few hours the CAT became toast. Before you replace your CAT, make sure everything else that contributes to the combustion process is in proper working order and up to date in maintenance.
It does have 161,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
relax -following up on RCS1300's post this is an old vehicle (13yrs) purchased used, time has its toll on components,

OK you had an o2 sensor code and resolved that, now there is a p0430 issue,

Any other codes ?

I agree you may have other issues if you just go and replace CAT, DIAGNOSE before spending. Looking at data with a scanner will lead to correcting any conditions that may have hastened cat failure.
No there aren't any other codes. And I do understand that it's an old vehicle. I've only ever owned old vehicles. Everything with this Jeep has been screwy though, it's frustrating. From electrical gremlins to EVERY SINGLE part outside the Jeep being so rusted solid that I couldn't do the repair myself. It's become evident that this wasn't manufactured with any consideration for future repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out.

2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi Automatic
1992 Wrangler YJ 2.5L Manual Soft Top Half Doors
post #7 of 7 Old 11-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

Broken exhaust manifold bolts = extra clean air at O2 sensors = fuel trims go up = dead cat...

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in