Parking brake cable replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-03-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Parking brake cable replacement

I have a 2010 WK. A few weeks ago, wife pulled up on the parking brake handle and there was no tension. I took off the center console to verify what had happened. The little metal piece at the end of the cable had snapped off.
I did some exploring and quickly realized that the whole interior had to come out so the carpet could be peeled back to get the cable out. I found several threads talking about replacing the cable, but I didn't see any complete write ups so figured I'd snap some pics and write up what I did.

Here is the procedure I followed.

1. Remove the rear seat. 2 bolts holding it to the floor. then tilt it out.
2. Remove front seats. 4 bolts each. Unclip power seats.
3. Remove Center console. Pry off rear cover. remove 2 torx bolts holding to floor. remove chrome plastic around shifter. remove plastic around shifter. remove center console by pulling backwards.
4. Remove side floor trim panels by using a screwdriver to pry up under the hold down clips (remove trim by front and rear doors on both sides)
5. Pull back carpet from the rear and remove nut holding parking brake cable to the floor
6. Remove cable from parking brake bracket. I used 2 flat head screwdrivers to hold the clips in and then pushed it through the hole (see pic)
7. Remove Cable from rear bracket. this connects to the rear parking brake cables.

To replace the cable was a little tricky.

1. Push front of cable through the mounting bracket
2. Push parking brake cable forward (make sure the the little hook thing is over the pin). This is in one of the pics.
Now it gets tricky
3. Use a flat blade screwdriver from the rear to push the tension spring assembly towards the front. Once you push it far enough forward, the cable will slot into the holder. I couldn't get a clear picture of this because of the assembly.
Now the rear
4. Pop off the connecting bracket and attach the rear of the cable to the bracket. Then you can pull it and reattach the rear parking brake cables.

Reassemble everything.

Took me ~3 hours start to finish.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2026.jpg   IMG_2027.jpg   IMG_2028.jpg   IMG_2029.jpg   IMG_2030.jpg  

IMG_2031.jpg   IMG_2032.jpg   IMG_2033.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-04-2015, 06:13 AM
SSF556

2008 WK 

Thanks for the write up....

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #3 of 6 Old 09-04-2015, 08:44 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

NICE! That could work nicely for adjusting it as well. If the PB Lever is down/disengaged and there is that little slack in the cable; maybe just adding in another crimp on cable stop will take up that extra slack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-04-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry about the crazy picture angles. Not sure how that happened. I think you would be hard pressed to get a cable crimp on stop that would hold up. I was very surprised that it snapped off after 5 years. That's the last pic, but it's not very clear. I was not able to get a good pic of the spring mechanism either.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-21-2020, 07:57 PM
superheady
2009 XK Commander 

I am having issues with the rear right cable, do you think I can just pull the back seats to get to the rear cable clip and go that route?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-28-2020, 11:44 AM
jeepers_2020

2005 WK 

Garage
Thanks for the pictures! I replaced the parking brakes on my WK, but they're still slipping a little. One rotor (right side) is discolored now from the heat after doing a test roll on a hill with the parking brake which leads me to think it's the other parking brake (left side) which isn't adjusted all the way. I still get tension on the parking brake lever so that's good. So, my guess it's not the cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in